Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 06:27 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to point out that dumb "starving artist sale" is a scam. The art is done in Chinese sweatshops and each person paints a little part of the paintings as they spit bunches of these out to scam the public. The only real "starving artist sale" should be to support our local talent at art shows and at walks in Lawrenceville. I hate that scam that seems to come here every January. Sadly I went to one and there are tons of yinzers looking for this scam art there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 06:40 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,971,575 times
I didn't know that it was a scam but it's always pretty terrible art.

Old 01-06-2012, 06:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
I remember years ago seeing this advertised on TV all the time. I had no idea they were still doing that crap.

Scam is not entirely off base here They certainly try to suggest that the value of these "paintings" is a lot higher than the prices they are charging.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:06 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Imagine being an artist and seeing those ads.

FAR Art :: View topic - Starving Artists Group, Inc. Sales Scam

Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
If they're running ads on TV for it, chances are it's shady. There are real starving artist shows year round in the city without so much as a peep of advertisement because people can't afford to do so.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I agree, not a fan of the Starving Artist business. At the same time, the reason a business like that does so well is local artists aren't usually good at marketing their wares and ask unrealistic prices for their work.

I go to art shows and see things like watercolors that really aren't that well done, yet are priced at $150-200 or more. Artists seem to hang their best work at art shows, which is nice if the goal is to have their work seen--but if they really want to sell they should rethink the exhibit and display works that are a little less expensive and maybe more marketable. (Yes, I know that idea is like fingers on a chalkboard to a real artist but it's true IMO.) Also real artists aren't always at their best when it comes to talking to people looking at their work. I'm not sure what the answer is, just making an observation.

I wish I'd see more artists getting together to hold a "REAL Starving Artists" show with better marketing, an advertising blitz (doesn't have to be on television, it can be an internet blitz) and artwork priced under $100 (instead of the artists' favorite pieces which are hung to be admired by the crowd but won't be sold).

Old 01-06-2012, 07:31 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
If they're running ads on TV for it, chances are it's shady. There are real starving artist shows year round in the city without so much as a peep of advertisement because people can't afford to do so.
But aren't there lots of ways to advertise things without spending money? Artists are creative, they should be able to think of creative ways to get the word out.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:43 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,716,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
But aren't there lots of ways to advertise things without spending money? Artists are creative, they should be able to think of creative ways to get the word out.
True, word of mouth is key and a ad in the City Paper helps a lot too. What I'm saying is that if you see a TV ad for a starving artist show ('SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY') then it reeks of shadiness.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:45 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 679,942 times
The same sale is now in Detroit! Scam written all over it.

Old 01-06-2012, 07:46 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
True, word of mouth is key and a ad in the City Paper helps a lot too.
And with Etsy and local shows like I Made It or Handmade Arcade, publicity is easier than ever for artists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh