Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:54 AM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to point out this is a scam. Sure the artists are starving, but they are all in China. It sort of makes me a little sick that they are pretending to be something they are not. There is a bunch of painters in a row and they are instructed to just paint a little part of the painting and move it to the next painter and down the line. Hardly what one visions when they advertise "starving artist".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,176,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
I just wanted to point out this is a scam. Sure the artists are starving, but they are all in China. It sort of makes me a little sick that they are pretending to be something they are not. There is a bunch of painters in a row and they are instructed to just paint a little part of the painting and move it to the next painter and down the line. Hardly what one visions when they advertise "starving artist".
I've been to China a few times, and saw the 'real scam'. Basically they hire young pretty female 'art' students to go out and find foreigner tourists. They bring them to their gallery, and try to make sales on the artwork.

The young females act as sales people, and has a very charity feel on your part. Doubt if they are the artists themselves. Happens especially in Beijing.

Don't know if that's the same thing that you are speaking about or not though....but interesting if it is.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:29 AM

The paintings are made in Chinese sweat shops. I fell for it, but didn't buy anything. I look back on that and just shake my head on how gullible I was by driving there to have a look. Goodness.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:36 PM

15 posts, read 103,799 times
wow thanks for the info.was planning to go and see

Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,710,473 times
Quote:
The paintings are made in Chinese sweat shops. I fell for it, but didn't buy anything. I look back on that and just shake my head on how gullible I was by driving there to have a look. Goodness.
The easiest way to tell this is a scam is to look at the paintings. We went to one of these shows in Greentree a few years ago. They had 10 or more copies of the same painting. True artists don't paint the same picture over and over again. These are mass produced copies, nothing more.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,784 times
So what's you're point?
It's cheap and all most can afford.

Old 01-04-2013, 09:33 PM

1,714 posts, read 2,358,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
They had 10 or more copies of the same painting. True artists don't paint the same picture over and over again.
I agree with the general thrust of your post, but a certain Pittsburgh "Native Son" might disagree with that part.

Seriously, though . . . I didn't know they were from China, but just the glimpses from the TV commercials let me know why the "artists" might have been having problems making money in their field.

EDIT: then again, what do I know? Thomas Kincade is a bijillionaire and I have no idea why.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Seriously, though . . . I didn't know they were from China, but just the glimpses from the TV commercials let me know why the "artists" might have been having problems making money in their field.
"Retirement Home Chic" is trending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
EDIT: then again, what do I know? Thomas Kincade is a bijillionaire and I have no idea why.
Actually he only made $53 million and apparently drank it all according to the autopsy.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:42 AM

The poor old starving artists are back trying to sell enough art so they can eat. Better to go to the Lawrenceville art crawl or some other local artist scene to buy from them, not some sweatshop assembly line crap. Wish this dumb company from Texas didn't exist. Sort of a slap in the face to real artists trying to make a go.

Old 01-05-2013, 07:15 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
Quote:
The poor old starving artists are back trying to sell enough art so they can eat. Better to go to the Lawrenceville art crawl or some other local artist scene to buy from them, not some sweatshop assembly line crap. Wish this dumb company from Texas didn't exist. Sort of a slap in the face to real artists trying to make a go.
As Velvet pointed out, if you see the commercials and you think that's the kind of "art" you want, then you've pretty much self-identified as someone who doesn't care. Those people are likely uninterested in an actual art crawl.

Take the bigger view - more business for local framing stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh