Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 08:54 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to Shadyside from elsewhere and live very close to East Liberty. I have spent some time wandering around that neighborhood and have read a bit about it's history and I find it to be fascinating as one of the great urban renewal blunders of 1960s America. One building that caught my attention was the church that seems to have problems with the cladding on its two spires. I finally drove past it recently and was disappointed to see that it is both designated as a historic landmark and falling into disrepair.

I'm just curious if anyone reading this forum knows anything about this church and its history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 09:23 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
Here's a link with photos of the inside:

Eye on Heritage

Old 12-27-2011, 09:24 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,973,648 times
Preservation Photo

Lots of Catholic Church's go down. So much money heading overseas and just a religion that is dwindling it seems. Awful lot of controversy in that religion with all the scandals not helping. Hopefully the Diocese will sell it off so some other church will pick it up. Sure is a shame.

Here is more about it.

Preservation Photo

Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 AM

482 posts, read 1,234,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Preservation Photo

Hopefully the Diocese will sell it off so some other church will pick it up. Sure is a shame.

Here is more about it.

Preservation Photo

The Catholic Diocese does not own the church. From your own link:

Quote:
With the closing of the steel mills and the population exodus that followed, Pittsburgh did not have the resources to support it's numerous ethnic parishes. In 1992 St. Peter and Paul merged with 5 other congregations to form the new St. Charles Lwanga parish. The St Peter and Paul Church closed after the merger and was later sold.
From City-Data's listing on property valuations:

Quote:
130 Larimer Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15206
Find on map >>
Owner: EVERLASTING COVENANT CHURCH
Owner description: Corporation
Fair market land value: $63,100
Fair market total value: $216,900
County assessed value for land: $63,100
County assessed value total: $216,900
Local assessed value for land: $63,100
Local assessed value total: $216,900
Assessment for tax year: 2010
Sum of area of land: 19,373 square feet
Land use: Churches, Public Worship
Tax status: Exempt
Class: Other

Dwelling:
Architectural style: Colonial
Number of stories: 2
Year property was built: 1909
Exterior wall: Brick
Roof: Shingle
Basement: Full
Grade: Good +
Condition: Fair
Total rooms: 12
Bedrooms: 4
Full baths: 3
Half baths: 1
Heating and cooling: Central Heat
Fireplaces: 0
Garage for: 0 cars
Total living area: 5,198 square feet

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/allegheny-c...#ixzz1hkpB8p90

Old 12-27-2011, 10:17 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
The Catholic Diocese does not own the church. From your own link
It was a Catholic Church that folded like so many do. St. Nicholas on Rt. 28 is another one they are letting fall apart after they made Penn Dot move the entire road to save the church at the tax payer's expense. Yet another mess. Not exactly good business people.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:55 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,051 times
Population loss will certainly have detrimental effects on the viability of a church. The insides look beautiful, it's a shame a real use can't be found for it, but it will probably take the repopulation of East Liberty and Larimer for that to happen. It's amazing to me how empty those neighborhoods look the farther you get from Penn Avenue.

It apparently is known officially as the "Everlasting Convenant Cathedral" and received "technical assistance" from the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation in 2008.

Old 12-27-2011, 12:10 PM

482 posts, read 1,234,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
It was a Catholic Church that folded like so many do. St. Nicholas on Rt. 28 is another one they are letting fall apart after they made Penn Dot move the entire road to save the church at the tax payer's expense. Yet another mess. Not exactly good business people.
That was never disputed. You stated:

Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis
Hopefully the Diocese will sell it off so some other church will pick it up.
That has already happened, it is now owned by Everlasting Covenant Church, which is not a part of the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh. As far as St. Nick's is concerned, here's some older articles:

Fight to preserve historic St. Nicholas Church fails - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Quote:
Parishioners and preservationists demanded that PennDOT spare St. Nicholas, and the highway agency eventually relented.
Quote:
The diocese, which favored the initial plan to demolish the aging building, closed the church in 2004 and looked for buyers.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...ally-torn.html

Old 12-27-2011, 12:25 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2187 View Post
...maybe-st-nicholas-will-finally-torn
Lets hope. Sure was a typical mess.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:47 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Beautiful building, but the thing I've often wondered about churches is what else they can be used for if another church doesn't want it. I know some get turned into libraries or museums, but it seems almost sacreligious (not to mention impractical) to convert a church into office space or apartments.

Old 12-27-2011, 01:50 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,675,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Beautiful building, but the thing I've often wondered about churches is what else they can be used for if another church doesn't want it. I know some get turned into libraries or museums, but it seems almost sacreligious (not to mention impractical) to convert a church into office space or apartments.
Or to brew beer where the alter once was...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh