Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Neighborhood Map List Map

Do the people who drew up these official neighborhood boundaries even live here?

It irritates me to think that the City Government officially has Central Catholic and WQED in Squirrel Hill, Palermo's Shoe Service and the Slovene church of 57th St. in Stanton Heights and Wal-mart and St. Margarets in Lincoln Lemington.

If they were going to do it right, why did the city government bother?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 10:05 PM

1,125 posts, read 2,349,004 times
broken link ? This should be an interesting thread though

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM

9,344 posts, read 13,010,796 times
I would imagine that there are a million different conceptions regarding exact neighborhood boundaries. In the end, they have to draw the lines somewhere.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,022,351 times
Note they assemble official neighborhoods out of Census tracts, which is part of why their borders are not along the locally-accepted lines.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Note they assemble official neighborhoods out of Census tracts, which is part of why their borders are not along the locally-accepted lines.

If the federal government, for whatever reason, had drawn up the lines, that would be a bit more acceptable and understandable as Census Tracts are the methodology they have available and the feds aren't local people.

But this is the city government that drew up the lines, and I think that they should know that I-279 North does not go through Northview Heights and Kelly's Bar isn't in Shadyside.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:57 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,807,515 times
Is it really important enough to cause this degree of consternation? The places I am familiar with that you mention so vehemently as being in the wrong neighborhood are either right on the border or are very close to the edge. Again, they have to draw the lines somewhere. Is it really a grotesque dishonor for WQED to officially be in Squirrel Hill instead of Oakland or Shadyside or wherever? What neighborhood would you put Wal-Mart in, exactly? Is it really worth defending the honor of Wal-mart by denying that it is in the Lincoln-Lemington-Belmar neighborhood?

Streets make for better borders than plots anyhow.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
It really comes down to some streets being the delineating factor between neighborhoods. For example, I WOULD consider anything south of Fifth Avenue in that area east of Neville to be Squirrel Hill and anything north of Fifth and east of Neville to be Shadyside, even though that part of Shadyside has an Oakland (15213) zip code over to Morewood Avenue (and also extending onto Bayard Road). As far as anything DIRECTLY ALONG that stretch of Fifth Avenue is concerned it's blurred.

I personally don't agree with the neighborhood boundaries for Polish Hill. I've always considered the small sub-neighborhood (i.e. Stockholm Street) on the other side of the 28th Street Bridge and West Penn Park, overlooking the Strip District, to be Polish Hill, but the city classifies those properties as being IN the Strip District. The Polish Hill Civic Association included this sub-neighborhood within Polish Hill for purposes of our long-range planning process. I also don't know why they consider Ridgway Street to be Polish Hill while Ajax Street is the Hill District. Why not just make the border Bigelow Boulevard?

Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I personally don't agree with the neighborhood boundaries for Polish Hill. I've always considered the small sub-neighborhood (i.e. Stockholm Street) on the other side of the 28th Street Bridge and West Penn Park, overlooking the Strip District, to be Polish Hill, but the city classifies those properties as being IN the Strip District. The Polish Hill Civic Association included this sub-neighborhood within Polish Hill for purposes of our long-range planning process. I also don't know why they consider Ridgway Street to be Polish Hill while Ajax Street is the Hill District. Why not just make the border Bigelow Boulevard?

Ajax St. is definitely part of Polish Hill, as well as Ridgeway.

Polish Hill was laid out and settled before Bigelow Blvd was built.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Ajax St. is definitely part of Polish Hill, as well as Ridgeway.

Polish Hill was laid out and settled before Bigelow Blvd was built.
Thanks. Good to know. I'd still love to know, though, why the city doesn't include the streets "behind" the 28th Street Bridge as part of Polish Hill, too.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:24 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Now it DOES strike me as odd that Grandview Park isn't in Mt. Washington, but Allentown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh