Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 09:26 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,951,773 times

Advertisements

Is the project still "on" for the raising of the roofs in the Squirrel Hill tunnels next year? I'm gonna be spending most of the warm months in Pittsburgh for the foreseeable future, and was wondering about this. I heard a blip about it on KDKA last year, but haven't heard much since. If it's indeed going to happen, I'll have to make it a point to avoid the parkway east all together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:33 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,167,826 times
Yep it's starting next year beginning in March.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,459,737 times
i have not even heard about this. but i do make a point to avoid the parkway east anyway.

they are making the ceiling higher? i am sure i just don't see something obvious but wouldn't it make more sense to make them..wider?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:08 AM

875 posts, read 1,491,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by safak View Post
i have not even heard about this. but i do make a point to avoid the parkway east anyway.

they are making the ceiling higher? i am sure i just don't see something obvious but wouldn't it make more sense to make them..wider?
Logistics my friend. PennDOT has free reign to develop vertically, but they would need to purchase additional land/rights/etc. in order to build the tunnels out wider. From a construction standpoint I believe that's more difficult to do as well, requiring almost entirely new bores.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:35 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,023,728 times
Oh my, I would hate to live over that way. Traffic over there is horrible as it is let alone a project like this one that won't help the situation.

PennDOT plans revamp of Squirrel Hill Tunnel in Pennsylvania - World Construction Network

Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,556,602 times
Lots of details in this thread:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/pitts...l-project.html

Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,051,173 times
The current ceiling is a drop ceiling, so it is relatively cheap to remove it and improve the clearance (and maybe get less "tunnel monster" slowdowns as well).

Actually increasing the size of the tunnels themselves would be at least an order of magnitude more expensive.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:21 AM

875 posts, read 1,491,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The current ceiling is a drop ceiling, so it is relatively cheap to remove it and improve the clearance (and maybe get less "tunnel monster" hslowdowns as well).

Actually increasing the size of the tunnels themselves would be at least an order of magnitude more expensive.
Hey Brian, do you know anywhere one could go to figure out a cost comparison between widening all of the Parkway East to three lanes versus extending the East Busway to Monroeville?

Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM

1,657 posts, read 2,692,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala26 View Post
Hey Brian, do you know anywhere one could go to figure out a cost comparison between widening all of the Parkway East to three lanes versus extending the East Busway to Monroeville?
Honestly, I don't think you'd need to do much of a comparison. And if you did, I think it would look something like this:

Parkway reconfiguration $ >> Busway Extension $

Mainly because a busway extension would have significantly fewer lane-miles to build and would not required a tunnel modification.

You could try a "bottoms up" though. Break each project into components, and find the cost of a comparable project for each of those components and sum them up.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:33 AM

1,237 posts, read 1,951,773 times
I can't even begin to imagine the cluster***** that traffic is gonna be on the Parkway east. My....God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh