Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 AM

780 posts, read 1,387,329 times

Advertisements

We have never been to Hartwood and will probably check it out this year.

We usually get in free at Oglebay as friends of the family live in Wheeling and we make a day trip out of it. Stop in Washington to hit the outlets for the wife, stop at Cabelas for me, visit with our friends for dinner and they let us use their season pass for the lights that evening.

The kids enjoy the train display, laser show and the little zoo they have down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM

14,188 posts, read 22,789,353 times
The Festival of Lights at Hartwood Acres is good. It was my first "light festival" experience.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:18 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,027,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
We have never been to Hartwood and will probably check it out this year.

We usually get in free at Oglebay as friends of the family live in Wheeling and we make a day trip out of it. Stop in Washington to hit the outlets for the wife, stop at Cabelas for me, visit with our friends for dinner and they let us use their season pass for the lights that evening.

The kids enjoy the train display, laser show and the little zoo they have down there.
Well that is much more than just going to Oglebay. Sounds like about a perfect trip and a great visit. Hard to beat that.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:36 AM

674 posts, read 1,414,636 times
I'm looking forward to taking my kid there in the winter. Glad to see them capitalizing on the success of being open for Fright Nights.

I just hope that they don't charge a fortune for admission.

Old 07-08-2011, 10:38 AM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burghgirl17 View Post
I'm looking forward to taking my kid there in the winter. Glad to see them capitalizing on the success of being open for Fright Nights.

I just hope that they don't charge a fortune for admission.
Fright Night is great!

Old 07-08-2011, 12:24 PM

814 posts, read 1,152,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Not sure why they would open in December, but it is owned by a Spanish company now that also owns Idlewild Park. I always worry they will change the park too much or do something that isn't in the interest of the locals.
Having worked at Kennywood as my summer job up until I graduated from college last year, I do know that they've changed quite a bit that's not in the interest of the people that work there.

One of the major perks to working at Kennywood was always the after-hours parties, movie nights, and sports tournaments that HR put on for the employees. When Parques Reunidos/Festival took over, they immediately attempted to put the kibosh on all of that. Fortunately, HR told them what to go do with themselves, and managed to keep most of the fun stuff for the workers...but there has been plenty of other nickel-and-diming on the part of the new owners that has made it significantly less worthwhile to work there.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 PM
gg

Quote:
Originally Posted by that412 View Post
Having worked at Kennywood as my summer job up until I graduated from college last year, I do know that they've changed quite a bit that's not in the interest of the people that work there.

One of the major perks to working at Kennywood was always the after-hours parties, movie nights, and sports tournaments that HR put on for the employees. When Parques Reunidos/Festival took over, they immediately attempted to put the kibosh on all of that. Fortunately, HR told them what to go do with themselves, and managed to keep most of the fun stuff for the workers...but there has been plenty of other nickel-and-diming on the part of the new owners that has made it significantly less worthwhile to work there.
I always hate when the mom and pop feel of the the place get swallowed by some big cold hearted company. Here is the timeline:

Kennywood is owned by Kennywood Entertainment, which until December 2007 was a closely held family business owned by the Henninger and McSwigan families. Kennywood Entertainment is now operated by California-based Palace Entertainment, a subsidiary of Parques Reunidos, an international amusement park company based in Madrid, Spain.[3] Parque Reunidos is in turn a subsidiary of Candover Investments, an investment fund based in the UK.

This is always a scary situation because Kennywood has been so tightly held for so long. Sort of like 7 Springs and the Nuttings bought it from Dupre's. I have heard from employees it isn't as good of a place to work now.

Oh well, sometimes things change for the worse.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 PM

780 posts, read 1,387,329 times
Don't know if its the management runs things now, but the employees that run the rides didn't seem to be quite as friendly as in the past.

Hot as hades today but the kids had fun. Just wish they wouldn't have changed the height requirements for several of the rides 2 years ago. My daughter is just below the 46" line and it really limits her. But, 2 years ago, many rides, like the Beheren curve (sp?), music express, and a few others, she was able to ride but can't anymore. Wonder if the change in management had anything to do with that?

Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 PM

110 posts, read 193,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempfield mania View Post
Don't know if its the management runs things now, but the employees that run the rides didn't seem to be quite as friendly as in the past.

Hot as hades today but the kids had fun. Just wish they wouldn't have changed the height requirements for several of the rides 2 years ago. My daughter is just below the 46" line and it really limits her. But, 2 years ago, many rides, like the Beheren curve (sp?), music express, and a few others, she was able to ride but can't anymore. Wonder if the change in management had anything to do with that?
That is actually handled by the PA Agricultural department rides and amusements they have been changing things across the state at other parks too so do not feel bad, but I have been to the Hershey-Park Candylane Christmas Attraction and Kennywood is not going to run the coasters Hershey shuts them down too but the spinning rides and the smaller fun rides will be going so be plenty of fun for the few hours a night they will be open and some special Christmas time treats, Hershey used to serve fresh made potato chips one time, that will be nice to see if they do that but to get some nice hot cider or hot chocolate would be a nice touch it will be nice to have something like this in Pittsburgh they do stuff like this in Germany in their bigger Christmas festivals so it will be fun.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:02 PM

1,812 posts, read 3,363,627 times
have a mental image of a christmas story with the boy with his tounge stuck to the pole i can see some kid with his tounge stuck to the ride flying though the air.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh