Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM

12,531 posts, read 17,679,148 times

Advertisements

I had my wedding catered by Primanti's at the Shaler Eyetalian Club n'at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2011, 07:38 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,191,142 times
Nice round-up of the year in interesting restaurant news:

On the Menu: A humming dining scene gave Pittsburghers lots of great new tastes in 2011

By the way, we tried The Porch for lunch recently. It is a nice space with an excellent view and an interesting menu--definitely a great addition to Oakland (we ate there after a visit to Phipps).

Old 12-25-2011, 09:53 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,982,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Nice round-up of the year in interesting restaurant news:

On the Menu: A humming dining scene gave Pittsburghers lots of great new tastes in 2011

By the way, we tried The Porch for lunch recently. It is a nice space with an excellent view and an interesting menu--definitely a great addition to Oakland (we ate there after a visit to Phipps).
I should try The Porch. I'm always saying there's nowhere to eat when you're at Pitt (a fallacy, but I don't always feel like Pamela's or a burrito). I've seen it driving by, but haven't stopped in yet.

Of all the restaurants on the list, I've been to most in Market Square, but after a very so-so meal at NOLA, I've kind of balked at eating anywhere but Penn Fish or Winghart's, which are guaranteed to be excellent, or at least very, very good. A friend and I went downtown a couple of weeks ago and could have tried Diamond Market (I was in the mood for a Devonshire), but neither of us wanted to eat upscale Primanti's over what turned out to be a great meal at Penn Fish (two kinds of bass with exceptional side dishes of risotto and a kind of butternut squash bread pudding). Plus, I always have fun at both of those places with the staff.

I want to try La Cucina Flegrea, but I had such a mediocre pasta dish and dessert when they were in SH, I never went back. But I like Market Square so much as a destination, I'm determined to try it again.

A friend is taking me out anywhere I want for Christmas. I told him Il Pizzaiolo in Mt. Lebanon, but maybe I should try one of the places I haven't been to yet in Market Square. Not food related, but whenever I hear the name "Mt. Lebanon," I think of people dying in car crashes. This friend works in Mt. Lebanon, and one of the people who died this year was one of his co-workers, one he really liked, and another of his co-workers was best friends with Lisa Styles. Mt. Lebanon is a place I never get to, so these two deaths are preeminent in my thoughts of that town. Still, Il Pizzaiolo is supposed to be even better than Piccolo Forno, which I admit has changed some over the last year, and not for the better, so maybe I should just suck it up and go to Mt. Lebanon. Aren't I crazy?

Old 12-25-2011, 12:57 PM

We really liked Bella Sera--I'd try that if you haven't already.

Old 12-25-2011, 01:07 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,982,972 times
Quote:
We really liked Bella Sera--I'd try that if you haven't already.
Okay, maybe I will. Thanks, Brian.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:37 PM

106 posts, read 219,694 times
Visited Porch recently as well. Definitely worth checking out. It has the makings of a hot summer spot with so much outdoor space surrounding it. The food was decent, but I didn't love the gourmet pizza offerings. It will be interesting to see how it does in that location as I would consider it out of the budget of your average student. However, the wine by the bottle pricing is very "collegiate." BYOB option is available too, but not worth it unless you are bringing the real good stuff ($10 corkage).

Old 12-27-2011, 07:59 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,950,950 times
Went to the Porch yesterday for dinner. I had the Smoked Turkey Sandwich and the Antipasti....very tasty and decent portions. Service was very attentive and fast (Lets hope it remains that way a 1yr from now). I loved the setting and I agree this place is going to KILL during the outside seating season.

I will be back.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:49 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,334,862 times
I was at Salem's Grill last week, after visiting their website.

It is actually very good, served cafeteria style. I had thought it was just your ordinary gyros and grape leaves- even though they do have that, but they have a lot of curried goat and lamb and tandori chicken and that and they have easy parking in that part of the strip.

I drove past there for many months, I thought it was just gyros which I buy exclusively at Mike and Tony's.

But they actually have a pretty broad menu, decent prices, and its clean and pleasant.

SALEMS MARKET AND GRILL

Old 01-08-2012, 12:44 PM

92 posts, read 146,582 times
Default CURE is open

Quote:
So does mean Elements will no longer be featuring his charcuterie? Because that was easily my favorite thing about Elements's menu--although I will be happy to try out Cure.
FYI -- Cure is now open in l'ville

Justin is a friend of mine(not trying to name drop) and me and some friends of mine played some acoustic music at his openeing party last week... so that place is open for business.

I think he is posting his ever evolving menu (based on the fresh ingredients available at any given week) on his website and facebook page.

The food at the opening was great....and he had 4-5 East end brews to sample as well.

I had a great time and will be going back with the wife for an actual dinner sometime soon

Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 PM

Awesome--we'll need to schedule a date night to try it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh