Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:51 PM

60 posts, read 105,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
There used to be an African-American that called Lynn Cullen's show and said Urban Renewal really means Negro Removal.
Some have the misconception that there were not a significant number of whites uprooted. There were.

And some have the misconception that the entire neighborhood consisted of dilapidated slum dwellings. ( this has nothing to do with the above quote). Yes, there was housing in poor condition, etc, but there were also well kept homes occupied by working people who chose to stay - until, sadly, they no longer had the right to choose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 05:00 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,062,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rr61 View Post
Some have the misconception that there were not a significant number of whites uprooted. There were.

And some have the misconception that the entire neighborhood consisted of dilapidated slum dwellings. ( this has nothing to do with the above quote). Yes, there was housing in poor condition, etc, but there were also well kept homes occupied by working people who chose to stay - until, sadly, they no longer had the right to choose.
If you had to compare the Lower Hill then to a current city neighborhood, which would it be? (in terms of vibrancy, housing stock, conditions, etc.)

Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,077,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
No, but it's very important to point out the mistakes of the past so they aren't repeated.

There are probably some people who would like to bulldoze certain parts of the city today, and this is why I am so vocal on this topic.
Urban Planning, like other professions, goes through different phases. At the present time, "gentrification" is the mantra. That was not the case in the 50s/60s. Urban Renewal was the mantra then, meaning clearance of substandard housing. In either case, low income people lost/are losing their homes.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Urban Planning, like other professions, goes through different phases. At the present time, "gentrification" is the mantra. That was not the case in the 50s/60s. Urban Renewal was the mantra then, meaning clearance of substandard housing. In either case, low income people lost/are losing their homes.
The difference is, by eminent domain, homes were taken from people who owned them in the 1950s-1960s, whereas nobody is taking away houses from people, regardless of their income level, today (foreclosures aside, which would be the owner's fault for not paying the bills). Apartments and Section 8 and such are temporary residences, anyway. They aren't like owning your house and having it taken away. What is happening in gentrifying neighborhoods today is rents are being raised, as appropriate to the demand to live in the neighborhood. That can happen to anyone and any neighborhood. It's not denying someone the right to their home, it's just being priced out. Personally, I don't see anyone getting priced out of East Liberty, with houses in Larimer selling for pennies...

Old 04-17-2011, 05:12 PM

^^There's not much difference, in the long run.

In any event, razing whole neighborhoods is not one of the principles of urban planning these days.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:14 PM

Not much difference? Eminent doman is completely unethical.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In any event, razing whole neighborhoods is not one of the principles of urban planning these days.
No, but it's important to remember the reasons why we moved away from razing whole neighborhoods. Because it is ethically wrong to take peoples' homes, and it destroys urban fabric.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleghenyangel View Post
No, but it's important to remember the reasons why we moved away from razing whole neighborhoods. Because it is ethically wrong to take peoples' homes, and it destroys urban fabric.
Eminent domain is an old, old principle.

Eminent domain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think stburr91 made some good points in post #40.

Quote:
The redevelopment brought a hospital, an arena, hotels and more. Those were all jobs that remained after the steel bust. These jobs, and the taxes were sorely needed in the 80's and 90's. None of those jobs, or the taxes would have been there if the Lower Hill District was a ghetto or a ghost town.
Quote:
Only looking at the lower Hill District the last 10-15 years, you will never understand what it was, and what it did at a difficult time in Pittsburgh's history. The redevelopment was far from perfect, but it has/is serving it's purpose.
I don't favor taking people's homes away frivolously, but I think a lot of nostalgists have no idea what the situation was like back then. I was just a kid myself. A lot of people posting on here weren't even born when this was all happening. That's not to say they can't have an opinion, but it is to say that they don't know what the situation was at the time.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:53 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,291,470 times
Quote:
A lot of the lower Hill District was more or less a ghetto, and the parts that weren't, would have become either a ghetto, or a ghost town after the steel bust
I think it would have declined even before the steel bust.

Had the project not gone through, I think you would have seen white flight and decay continue in the area, with the coup de grace after the assassination of Martin Luther King in 1968 when much of the Hill burned and lots of it still hasn't been rebuilt.

I don't think that the status quo of the 1950s was sustainable, particularly in the 60s, an era of rapid suburbanization, racial conflict and societal upheaval.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I think it would have declined even before the steel bust.

Had the project not gone through, I think you would have seen white flight and decay continue in the area, with the coup de grace after the assassination of Martin Luther King in 1968 when much of the Hill burned and lots of it still hasn't been rebuilt.

I don't think that the status quo of the 1950s was sustainable, particularly in the 60s, an era of rapid suburbanization, racial conflict and societal upheaval.
Interesting you should mention the assassination of MLK. We were out with a couple the other night, and I was recalling how I was a Pitt student at the time. The National Guard was camped out in Pitt Stadium, and they were driving tanks around the upper campus. I remember thinking that my father told me that's what it was like in the Soviet Union, tanks on the streets. It was not a pleasant time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh