Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2006, 02:14 PM

291 posts, read 1,114,026 times

Advertisements

I've read that housing is still very reasonable in Pittsburgh. What would a nice 3/2 home in a desirable neighborhood go for? (I don't mean "desirable" as in, "I'm a millionaire and can spare no expense", but "we're an average married working couple who want to find a nice affordable home in a nice neigborhood")

Many are moving south to find affordable housing, but finding that although they've been able to find a nice home, wages are much lower. How do wages stack up against, say NY/NJ?

Does Pittsburgh have distinct "Seasons". Where we are it seems like now we have summer, winter and then perhaps 2 weeks that could be considered spring and autumn weather!

Lastly, our perfect place would be somewhere where there are people walking about, restaurants and bars with outdoor seating during warm-weather months, places that you could get out and WALK to if you wanted to get a paper, get a cup of coffee and read a book, have some ice cream or go to a market, or a movie, or a museum or a park where you might find pick-up games of basketball and parents and their kids playing with their dogs. (It's not as if we don't want to ever have to drive our cars, but it would be nice not to have to get into your car to do everything or get anywhere.) Where there is a nightlife scene if that's what you're looking for or a family-oriented aspect if that's your pleasure. Where there's "hustle and bustle" when you want it and "peace and quiet" when you want it. And, where you don't have to sit in traffic for an hour to get to and from work. If so, which neighborhoods sound like they match what we're looking for.

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 5,827 times
Default Oakland

Oakland would probably be the right area. Some of the back streets would be more friendly but close to all that stuff you want. I don't know about the price of housing. Have never lived there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHBR702 View Post
I've read that housing is still very reasonable in Pittsburgh. What would a nice 3/2 home in a desirable neighborhood go for? (I don't mean "desirable" as in, "I'm a millionaire and can spare no expense", but "we're an average married working couple who want to find a nice affordable home in a nice neigborhood")

Many are moving south to find affordable housing, but finding that although they've been able to find a nice home, wages are much lower. How do wages stack up against, say NY/NJ?

Does Pittsburgh have distinct "Seasons". Where we are it seems like now we have summer, winter and then perhaps 2 weeks that could be considered spring and autumn weather!

Lastly, our perfect place would be somewhere where there are people walking about, restaurants and bars with outdoor seating during warm-weather months, places that you could get out and WALK to if you wanted to get a paper, get a cup of coffee and read a book, have some ice cream or go to a market, or a movie, or a museum or a park where you might find pick-up games of basketball and parents and their kids playing with their dogs. (It's not as if we don't want to ever have to drive our cars, but it would be nice not to have to get into your car to do everything or get anywhere.) Where there is a nightlife scene if that's what you're looking for or a family-oriented aspect if that's your pleasure. Where there's "hustle and bustle" when you want it and "peace and quiet" when you want it. And, where you don't have to sit in traffic for an hour to get to and from work. If so, which neighborhoods sound like they match what we're looking for.

THANKS!

Old 08-30-2006, 12:23 PM

191 posts, read 1,002,121 times
I live in the Mt Lebanon area. Great schools, walking distance to the T (public transportation) 10 min to downtown, walking distance to uptown with all the local hometown stores, coffee shops, library, hardware store, restaurants, and enteraintment on certain nights at the square.
You don't say where you are from but yes, there are 4 seasons here but the longest season is winter so I hope you're into cold, grey days. In February I start loosing it because the winter is soooo long.

Did I mention I'm moving to NC?

Good luck!

Old 08-31-2006, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 59,268 times
It really depends on what sort of home you are looking for... and how upper crusty a neighborhood you want. If you are looking for newer construction cookie cutter type stuff, 200-350ish and in 5 years it will be worth about the same as you paid for it.

If you are looking for existing homes in nice neighborhoods 100-150 will get you a nice place all day long. And you can find nice victorians in good areas for sub 100 as well.

If you want to spend lots of money, you certainly can, but usually you are paying for zip code more than the house. Housing here is VERY affordable... cost of living is very low comparatively.

Public transportation though the bane of many jokes is actually very good for a city of its size. Pittsburgh area at one time was something like the 12 largest city population wise in the US.... now its something like 50th, but it still maintains the something like the 10th largest public transit system in the nation.

And yes there are 4 distinct seasons here.

Old 08-31-2006, 02:57 PM

Sounds to me like you are looking for a squirrel hillish type neighborhood... that's a bit higher end zip code, but affordable housing can still be found.

In terms of wages, they stack up very well.. you can make 80-100k in Pittsburgh and live very nicely.... I would require at least 200k to even contemplate moving anywhere near NYC to keep the same standard of living you can get in Pittsburgh for 1/2 that.

Many folks raise families here for 50k or less household income comfortable.

I think the COLA calculators show Manhattan to be 2.5 times the cost of living of pittsburgh and most of the other NYC boroughs being about 1.5 or so.... personally I think due to the reasonableness of housing, those conversions are low. Not to mention, state income tax is a flat tax around 3%, local boroughs, other than the city itself have 1% income tax.

Old 08-31-2006, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,827 times
Squirrel Hill, Shadyside or Oakland aare the kind of place you're looking for. I've heard Mt. Lebanon isn't a nice place anymore.

Old 09-05-2006, 08:34 AM

66 posts, read 197,220 times
Born and raised in Brookline and we had it all! lol

Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 PM

Brookline is still a nice neighborhood if you want to live in the city proper, very affordable and nice. Blue collar, not snobbish like some of the other neighborhoods mentioned... but still very nice place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh