Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 21,469 times

Advertisements

My son and I are moving to Pittsburgh from NYC after living here for the last two years while I had a contract position. The cost of living living here and having to take a position that offered me much less after the contract ended has prompted me to make the decision to relocate to that area, (I am originally from very close to there).

I WILL NOT have a car for the first few months after moving; as I sold mine before I moved to New York. What are the best area's to live that offer decent public transporation, good schools, (my son will be entering 5th grade) and affordable housing?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. This is not going to be easy at first but I am excited about the prospect of a new life in a place that is not as stressful as New York, with a much better cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 11:47 AM

6,601 posts, read 9,042,383 times
Where will you be working? Areas with good schools and access to public transportation to the point of not needing a car are going to be very hard to come by. In the city I would have to say that Bloomfield is the only cheap neighborhood where you can get by easily and safely without a car (and probably without a bus, aside from commuting to work really), but then you have to decide if Pittsburgh Public is acceptable to you or not. After that I would look for something along the T or East Busway, which could put you into suburban school districts.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:06 PM

I'll be working close to downtown. I have heard of Bloomfield as well and that sounds like a good option. The no car status will only be temporary; just want to make sure that I will be able to survive for those few months without one

Old 06-02-2011, 12:13 PM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,140,071 times
If you want good schools on a budget and okay public transportation, have a look at Sharpsburg (Fox Chapel School) or Millvale (Shaler). Both are inexpensive.

Bloomfield? He has a kid in 5th grade I thought? I wouldn't send your kid to Pittsburgh Schools Look at near by suburbs with a son.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:30 PM

29,807 posts, read 34,682,832 times
I'd vote for Dormont. It's on the light rail line, and the school district is decent.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:32 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,757,309 times
Hm. The combo of a good school with no car at all is kinda tough. Plus reasonable rent. You need to be able to walk or take public transport to the grocery store and such. I guess Sharpsburg or Millvale mentioned above could work as long as you watch the distance to stores. I also think there's a possibility that West View could work, despite being a little bit farther from the city vs Millvale/Sharpsburg (not significantly farther from downtown though). This is in the North Hills district. Bloomfield and Mt Washington come to mind in the city, but I'm not sure you want to do city schools. Not sure if anything along the T would work. You might think Dormont but it seems like the rents have been going up there. There might be something that would work in Crafton or Carnegie if close enough to shopping and the West Busway, but I'd go first to the other options mentioned.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,042,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
If you want good schools on a budget and okay public transportation, have a look at Sharpsburg (Fox Chapel School) or Millvale (Shaler). Both are inexpensive.

Bloomfield? He has a kid in 5th grade I thought? I wouldn't send your kid to Pittsburgh Schools Look at near by suburbs with a son.
I did specifically point out that you'd have to decide if PPS is acceptable or not. Millvale would probably be a good option too, there's a grocery store in the business district, right? That's probably the biggest obstacle to not having a car, relying on the T and Bus to get you to a grocery store would be a pain, having one within a 10 minute walk is a lot better when you don't have a car.

Bloomfield would land you in Woolslair Elementry I would think, here is the city-data page on that school. https://www.city-data.com/school/wool...school-pa.html 57% of 5th graders there are proficient or advanced in Math, 41% in reading, and only 5% are "below basic" in writing (not sure why the 'advanced' category isn't there for writing, maybe out of the few kids there, none of them met that standard?).

Old 06-02-2011, 12:43 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,588,233 times
Can you define what you think affordable housing is?

Old 06-02-2011, 12:50 PM

I am coming from New York City and I am not concerned with 'LOW' rent, I just meant affordable, as anything is affordable considering where I am moving from, (which requires in many cases to pay over $2500.00 or more for even a one bedroom.) I don't anticipate anything remotely like that in most area's of Pittsburgh; as the cost of living is much better. Anywhere from $850.00 - $950.00 a month would be doable, or even a little lower...

As far as PPS, I have read that they are among the best in the country, considering they are city schools, so it is a consideration. I will be doing more research on it, though before I do decide.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 PM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,140,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bong477 View Post
Can you define what you think affordable housing is?
True, he is coming from NYC, but he probably knows this area. Sharpsburg can be had for +- $500 a month. Millvale is about the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh