Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 09:14 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,544,696 times

Advertisements

I was taught odd road numbers meant North to South, and even meant East to West, and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:00 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I was taught odd road numbers meant North to South, and even meant East to West, and vice versa.
Applies to 2-digit route numbers. 3-digits have different rules.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:08 PM

250 posts, read 359,742 times
Here's another great mystery... Why does the right lane flow the fastest and the left lane the slowest until the Squirrel Hill tunnels. Why do all those people get over to the left and middle lanes so soon and sit? I swear some of them are adding 15 minutes to their commute by not waiting longer to get over. Not that I'm complaining, I'm happy to jump ahead and merge with the normal people at the ramp...

Old 07-14-2011, 05:15 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,014,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
Applies to 2-digit route numbers. 3-digits have different rules.
Yep, that is correct for the last digit of the 2-digit primary routes, but odd/even mean different things for the first digit of 3-digit auxiliary routes:

Interstate Highway System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This picture illustrates the odd for spurs, even for returning routes concept:

Old 07-14-2011, 07:48 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soniqV View Post
Why do all those people get over to the left and middle lanes so soon and sit? I swear some of them are adding 15 minutes to their commute by not waiting longer to get over. Not that I'm complaining, I'm happy to jump ahead and merge with the normal people at the ramp...
LOL, that's one of the quirks about Pittsburgh drivers I'll never understand. It's been brought up a few times on these forums, but Pittsburghers like to merge as early as possible and form the longest single file lines imaginable. It would be much more efficient if everyone would use all available lanes until the actual merge point, but no one does. I see this the most when there's road construction. A sign will say "right lane ends in 2 miles" so naturally that means "get over in the left lane immediately and form a bumper to bumper line now while leaving one entire lane clear for miles!"

Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM

1,035 posts, read 1,554,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
LOL, that's one of the quirks about Pittsburgh drivers I'll never understand. It's been brought up a few times on these forums, but Pittsburghers like to merge as early as possible and form the longest single file lines imaginable. It would be much more efficient if everyone would use all available lanes until the actual merge point, but no one does. I see this the most when there's road construction. A sign will say "right lane ends in 2 miles" so naturally that means "get over in the left lane immediately and form a bumper to bumper line now while leaving one entire lane clear for miles!"
And the drivers that move over two miles back, get mad at drivers like me who actually want to merge at the given merge point. Somehow, I'm the as*****!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,655,128 times
Quote:
Far from unique to Pittsburgh, though. It's a fairly common issue at construction zones everywhere, for example. PennDOT actually attempts to combat it sometimes with signs ("Use both lanes to merge point") with little real effect, this is true. And sometimes it does just work. For example, the I-79 bridge thing going northbound at evening rush, coming off 279, all three lanes are used until the merge point. Although the "4th" far right lane that results from the 279 merge and ends a short distance later, is indeed full of people who get over too early, when the most efficient pattern would be to drive up until the end.

I don't think this quirk is unique to Pittsburgh in the permanent lane ending issues like the one brought up either. I've seen it in a number of other places. Someone attempted to do a study on which is the better process, if I remember right, because this line up early vs use all lanes debate is so prevalent. I don't know if they actually came to a conclusion. To me, the use all lanes thing is obvious, but it doesn't actually work that well unless you can get everyone on the same page, which you just can't. No matter where you are there are always going to be some who think lining up early is the only proper and fair thing to do (and even try to block people who think otherwise). This is one function where automated driving would work well.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
As someone that grew up in Florida, I NEVER noticed this phenomenon in the south. Maybe it's more a regional thing than a Pittsburgh thing, but people in Florida do not line up miles before a merge point and leave an entire lane empty for miles. Maybe that's due to the more aggressive driving style down there (people will travel on the shoulder down there to get as far in front of the line as possible! lol), but I think the more timid and "polite" driving in this area leads to Pittsburghers often creating their own traffic jams.

Now for those that actually swerve out of the line to "block" those from going past to the proper merge point...I don't even know what to say about that, it's one of the most ridiculous things I see on the roads here.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:09 AM

487 posts, read 1,380,310 times
Ya know, I kinda dig all this highway talk. Is that weird?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:06 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,743,952 times
Quote:
As someone that grew up in Florida, I NEVER noticed this phenomenon in the south. Maybe it's more a regional thing than a Pittsburgh thing, but people in Florida do not line up miles before a merge point and leave an entire lane empty for miles. Maybe that's due to the more aggressive driving style down there (people will travel on the shoulder down there to get as far in front of the line as possible! lol), but I think the more timid and "polite" driving in this area leads to Pittsburghers often creating their own traffic jams.

Now for those that actually swerve out of the line to "block" those from going past to the proper merge point...I don't even know what to say about that, it's one of the most ridiculous things I see on the roads here.
I've seen it in Atlanta and San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh