Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 08:09 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times

Advertisements

The steel on the US Steel tower is supposed to rust like that. It was a showcase for their new at the time Cor-Ten steel. It oxidizes to that point then never needs painting. Better used in a bridge (like the New River Gorge Bridge, where it was also used) than a building (where it's kinda ugly).

Also apparently it discolored sidewalks and stuff early in its life. I still see references to paint washing off, etc, but it was never painted as that was the whole point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
The steel on the US Steel tower is supposed to rust like that. It was a showcase for their new at the time Cor-Ten steel. It oxidizes to that point then never needs painting. Better used in a bridge (like the New River Gorge Bridge, where it was also used) than a building (where it's kinda ugly).

Also apparently it discolored sidewalks and stuff early in its life. I still see references to paint washing off, etc, but it was never painted as that was the whole point.
Even though it doesn't need painting, I wonder if a black coat of paint and some primer beneath it would make it look nicer and presentable? Even though it's supposed to rust like that, it looks somewhat unattractive from close-up. From far away though, it does appear black in color even though it really isn't. I also imagine that it's incredibly expensive with all the man hours and paint needed.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:54 PM

875 posts, read 1,489,436 times
Hey, no one complained about the Statue of Liberty oxidizing did they? Well, I'm sure in the past some NYC residents did, but its green color is now iconic and not a fiasco. It's all how you look at things I guess. I'm fine with the way the Steel Building looks like in all its rust-like glory.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:16 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
I love the way USX looks, but I am all about Rust Belt Chic these days.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:57 PM

1,104 posts, read 2,590,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I love the way USX looks, but I am all about Rust Belt Chic these days.
At least the Steel Building wasn't constructed out of a copper facade or otherwise, we'd be stuck with that light green color which would make it look unattractive. At least it fits on the Statue of Liberty being that it's been that color for so long.

Old 08-11-2010, 06:10 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,007,387 times
Yeah, a pastel color on USX would look hideous.

I also think the raw look of the rusted metal (over something like black paint) is a great expression of the anti-ornamentation principle in the international style. And I think it makes you focus on the material (steel), not just the form, which is great for Pittsburgh since the material is associated with the city. In that sense it goes along with PPG and the old Alcoa building in showcasing local industry.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:27 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,950,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Yeah, a pastel color on USX would look hideous.

I also think the raw look of the rusted metal (over something like black paint) is a great expression of the anti-ornamentation principle in the international style. And I think it makes you focus on the material (steel), not just the form, which is great for Pittsburgh since the material is associated with the city. In that sense it goes along with PPG and the old Alcoa building in showcasing local industry.
I agree. And this core-ten steel is behaving as it should. There are some examples where this is not the case.
Don't forget , if you paint something, you are committing to re-painting again and again.
PS: the old Alcoa is one of my favorite buildings. Sure, the aluminum wiring makes it almost unusable, but the spatial sequence of the lobby is awesome!

Old 08-11-2010, 10:12 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,648,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Don't forget , if you paint something, you are committing to re-painting again and again.
This is exactly why you don't want to paint such a big structure. Although, one has to think that the BNY Mellon Center folks must be doing something a little different than what we typically think of when painting our houses. I mean, they don't want to be repainting that thing in 10 or 20 years, right? But then again, the building is not yet 30 years old so maybe it isn't too far off the mark.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:53 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,852,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Hah! At first I thought you meant the Civic Arena.
Great idea though! I think the old Mellon Arena would look great in Bronze,that's if they decide to re-use i/o razing it.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:08 PM

747 posts, read 1,231,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodistortion View Post
At least the Steel Building wasn't constructed out of a copper facade or otherwise, we'd be stuck with that light green color which would make it look unattractive. At least it fits on the Statue of Liberty being that it's been that color for so long.
Don't forget about Coppers! The top of the Coppers building is copper for a reason. How may cities in the world can lay claim to the Larest Glass (PPG), Aluminum (Alcoa and Porter), Steel (USS), and Coppers (Copper) manufactures in the world? All of these corporations have headquarters that sybolize the products produces.

I LOVE the USS Tower. It is one of my favorite skyscrapers worldwide....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh