Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 07:31 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,288,042 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed how bad the mosquitos are so far this year? I like to sit out in my back yard and am being bit up 10 times worse than last year. I guess it's all the rain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 07:33 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,682,488 times
Yeah, I think it is the rain. I bought one those OFF fan things that you wear or can put on a table beside you. I haven't been bitten yet, so I think it's working...

Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 AM

I usually rub baby oil on my skin, but haven't yet this year. It acually works very well and no stinky chemical smell or taste.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:38 AM

712 posts, read 1,976,936 times
They had something on channel 4 I believe the other day about how the DEP is going around with a 4 wheeler with a tank sprayer and spraying properties for the mosquito's.

They said the swampy areas are not as big of a problem as is - places with small puddles of water and old used tires with water inside of them.

Maybe you could call the DEP and have your property added to the list of places to spray and get rid of any buckets or water, used tires or puddles of standing water on your property.

Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 AM

812 posts, read 1,912,609 times
I am getting ready to try some stuff from Do my own pest control called Suspend. I also found it at my local Lesco/John Deere landscape shop. Have also been using a local company to spray. IT has helped a LOT but not completely. I haven't been bothered but the kids have still been bitten. We never had problems at our house in Robinson Twp with mosquitos but down here in NC it is ridiculous.

Good luck! It makes enjoying your backyard very difficult with the blood suckers!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alise007 View Post
I am getting ready to try some stuff from Do my own pest control called Suspend. I also found it at my local Lesco/John Deere landscape shop. Have also been using a local company to spray. IT has helped a LOT but not completely. I haven't been bothered but the kids have still been bitten. We never had problems at our house in Robinson Twp with mosquitos but down here in NC it is ridiculous.

Good luck! It makes enjoying your backyard very difficult with the blood suckers!
Try the baby oil.

Old 06-17-2010, 12:26 PM

439 posts, read 1,478,688 times
My neighbor is getting bit up like crazy, i haven't had a bite yet.

We are both outside at the same time each day while our kids play.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 2,682,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
My neighbor is getting bit up like crazy, i haven't had a bite yet.

We are both outside at the same time each day while our kids play.
I remember reading once that blood type could have something to do with it. One study found that Type O folks were bitten more often. I found this article which also talks about some other possiblities for why one person is more likely to be bitten than other.

Why do mosquitoes bite some people more than others? » Scienceline

Old 06-17-2010, 09:44 PM

246 posts, read 500,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Try the baby oil.
I doubt using baby oil will do much. Even repellents don't actually repell, instead they clog up chemical sensors located on the mosquito so that it can't tell what's out there or where it is. It's somewhat analogous to putting a blindfold on, and trying to find a heavily-perfumed woman in a room...not especially difficult to do. If you put a clothespin on your nose, though, and try the same trick, chances are you won't be successful.

I may not be totally accurate, but I believe mosquitoes are initially alerted to prey because of the carbon dioxide we exhale (lesser factors are body heat and moisture). If you can avoid breathing while outside, then I'd say you'll do okay!

Also, it's primarily (if not totally) the anopheles female that does the biting...there's something in blood that she needs for egg maturation/development and that's the reason we get invited to dinner.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:04 PM

235 posts, read 776,657 times
Hey I know this will sound crazy but ,what I use a lot of time is a used "Bounce" sheet out of the drier,just put in your pocket(hanging out),or if like me hanging the top of my sock,(short socks). Just have to try it!! Make sure it still smells!! ( Can use a new one,but wife gets mad at me )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh