Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 10:13 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times

Advertisements

I like to photograph birds but it's mostly hit and miss with me because I refuse to lug a tripod or an assortment of lenses but I want manual control. I needed basic bird photo technique help with the manual settings on my camera (specifically shutter speed) so I went looking for some. I wanted to do a better job in capturing motion and reducing noise. Since we have a bird photo thread with 1,283 posts, I thought I'd share the link to this webpage I just found with beginner bird photographers.

Photographing Birds with a Digital Camera

I liked it because the author is obviously using an ultra zoom point and shoot (non DSLR but has manual settings).

I wonder if people would like to share their tips for photographing birds in their natural habitat (as opposed to birds at a backyard feeder).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,634 times
I would be interested in this as well. I have seen some of the photos of birds from digital cameras posted on here from members and I am in awe on the clarity of the pictures. I think they are amazing (and I have to admit I am a little envious as well). I have always loved birding and photographyn and have recently joined the digital age about 3 years ago. The camera I am using is a Canon Powershot S2 IS which is supposed to have an equivelant zoom of 300mm but I just cannot seem to get those fabulous "close-ups" I have noticed from everyone else. A professional DSLR is just slightly out of the budget for now but I hope for one in the not-too-distant future. Any suggestions to share guys? Would love to hear them.

Wandering Spirit

Old 06-18-2009, 07:22 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
There's no substitute for getting close, regardless of what camera you are using. To that end, the very best way is to use a bird feeder. It helps to set one up in or near a tree. Then shoot from some sort of blind. Shooting from in the house out the window works great, especially if you open the window just enough to get shots. Shoot them when they perch on a branch, and you'll have a nice natural looking pose instead of on the feeder.

This is a feeder shot, although it doesn't look it.

And this

As far as getting shots of birds in the wild with a P&S, good luck. Bird photographers spend many thousands of dollars for their equipment to be able to get shots like that.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:27 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,664,563 times
Beautiful shots kdog.

Thanx for posting that Laura. I am sure I will be doing some bird photography here in Florida soon. That really is a huge help!

Old 06-18-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
There's no substitute for getting close, regardless of what camera you are using. To that end, the very best way is to use a bird feeder. It helps to set one up in or near a tree. Then shoot from some sort of blind. Shooting from in the house out the window works great, especially if you open the window just enough to get shots. Shoot them when they perch on a branch, and you'll have a nice natural looking pose instead of on the feeder.

This is a feeder shot, although it doesn't look it.

And this

As far as getting shots of birds in the wild with a P&S, good luck. Bird photographers spend many thousands of dollars for their equipment to be able to get shots like that.
I have a Panasonic FZ28 (18x optical zoom). My best songbird photos are taken in the community college (meaning no one lives on campus) far end parking lot FROM MY CAR (driver's side) WINDOW. I can push back my driver's side mirror so it doesn't interfere with the photo. Woods surround the lot with an assortment of trees and bushes and on another side of the college is a marshy-type area with nesting boxes. I found that the birds (mockingbirds, bluebirds, red winged blackbirds, tree swallows, red shouldered hawk, brown thrashers, robins, cardinals, eastern towhees, kildeer, grackles, starlings, wrens, mourning doves, song sparrows, finches, etc.) must be so used to seeing cars coming and going (remember commuter college so not a lot of people walking around outside except to go to and from their cars) , they don't take off as quick if I inch up compared to what happens if I actually get out of the car. Early morning before classes start, around 4:00P in the late afternoon and all day Sunday is great. Plus, I've also seen deer, rabbits and a groundhog there. Also, the campus has some nice gardens and the flowers attract butterflies and bees. So, my bird tip is if you live in suburbia and there is a community college nearby with adjacent woods, give it a try early in the morning or on Sunday, photographing from your car.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:38 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,837,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, my bird tip is if you live in suburbia and there is a community college nearby with adjacent woods, give it a try early in the morning or on Sunday, photographing from your car.
Cars make excellent blinds, that's very true. And not just in suburbia either, but just about anywhere. I was in Bosque del Apache, NM back over the winter. It's a huge wildlife sanctuary and one of the premier birding destinations in the country. You'll see all these car driving 5 MPH through the park with 500 or 600mm lenses sticking out the windows. It's the most ridiculous looking thing ever, but they get great shots that way.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Cars make excellent blinds, that's very true. And not just in suburbia either, but just about anywhere. I was in Bosque del Apache, NM back over the winter. It's a huge wildlife sanctuary and one of the premier birding destinations in the country. You'll see all these car driving 5 MPH through the park with 500 or 600mm lenses sticking out the windows. It's the most ridiculous looking thing ever, but they get great shots that way.
I bet I know one way they don't. I'm pretty short but sitting in a car puts me even lower. I hardly have any baby birds in the nest photos and when I do it's just their little head (like osprey) peaking over the top. I've never seen a bird egg in a nest. I was in the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in MD last month and I kept wishing I was basketball player tall to see into those osprey nests I was photographing. I just needed about another foot and a half in height...

On the other hand, flower macros, not so hard.

Old 06-20-2009, 12:27 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,532,721 times
Great photo's thanks for sharing... Curious question... Has any used these for back yard bird photos..?
Bushnell Outdoor Products (http://www.bushnell.com/trailcameras/trailcameras_trailsentry.cfm?section=General%20Use - broken link)

Old 06-28-2009, 12:55 PM

2,870 posts, read 3,370,700 times
Default How to Photograph Hummingbirds

Found a short article written by Mike Matthews (http://www.mikematthewsphotography.com/photo_gallery.php?info_id=24&osCsid=8344ebfcc0c7f5 2d8053a07c0f7956a9 - broken link) for Birds & Blooms Magazine ... This professional bird photographer offers simple tips for better hummingbird photos.

BETTER HUMMINGBIRD PHOTOS

Its a short read that offers a few of his tips for increasing your chance for a successful Hummingbird Photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography