Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM

267 posts, read 1,178,008 times

Advertisements

Until just before christmas my camera numbered the photos in sequence. Even after downloading, it would restart the next set where it left off. Then after Christmas I noticed that it was starting at 001 again. Perplexed, I check if I accidentally changed the settings to do as such. I had not. Then it did it again. So I reset to factory settings. It seemed to behave for about 386 photos, and now it is doing it again. It's really frustrating. I have fiddled with the settings again to no avail. So now I have a whole bunch of 001 pics, (and so on) and the software has helpfully tagged them with extensions 001_1, 001_2 and so on. And I am downloading them to diff folders by date for some ease of viewing. Still, it's bugging me no end. Why is my camera doing this and what is the fix? Oh, it's a powershot a590. Small yes, but don't be fooled. The trouble it's giving me belie it's size. Hope someone can help. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,857,932 times
Do you have multiple folders to go with it? I don't think duplicate names will happen otherwise.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:42 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,826,961 times
Without fixing the camera, one way you could change the numbering system is to change the names of the files when you upload them to, say, the Photoshop Elements organizer. I don't always do this but did it recently with a batch of files I am working on for my family in case the numbers from their camera happened to duplicate some of my own.

Speaking of the organizer, I wish I had used it for all my photos. Now I have a major clean and reorganize job on my hands.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:04 AM

267 posts, read 1,178,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you have multiple folders to go with it? I don't think duplicate names will happen otherwise.
Well, yes. But my previous one which I had for yrs, took about 9999 pics before it made a new folder, and then it would download with the folder # as prefix. Neat and chronological, neat timeline, and easy for me to access. The powershot took 3064 photos before the trouble started. Then it started at 0001 after 292 photos, then 154, then 386, then 361, then 48, and the most recent at 463. I don't even see a pattern here. And I've changed the batts just twice.takes AA's. Why is it creating new folders at random???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
Without fixing the camera, one way you could change the numbering system is to change the names of the files when you upload them to, say, the Photoshop Elements organizer. .... Now I have a major clean and reorganize job on my hands.
I wish the software would put the prefix automatically, like my previous one did. So I suppose I should manually do it from now as I download (once i figure out how), and I guess I am stuck with a clean and reorganize job too. sigh!

Last edited by BonVivant; 02-26-2009 at 09:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography