Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 11:10 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,125,226 times

Advertisements

In this modern day and age of electronics & technology, we tend to forget how life was "back when". How about it...do you have something that is from days gone by? Doesn't matter what it is, interperet however you wish.

I'll start with this little treasure my Grandmother gave me recently. I admired it as a little girl...I loved all her knick-knacks and the pretty things she kept on her dresser... and I'm so touched she remembered that.

This is her lady vase... I don't know what they're actually called...but I that's what I called it growing up...

I added the feather for effect...

hope you'll participate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:48 PM

27 posts, read 84,618 times
Love the pic..

Old 02-03-2009, 07:52 PM

409 posts, read 952,625 times
Default Baby Blanket

My grandmother made this blanket that this little teddy bear is holding. It is one of my most cherished gifts. She made it for my son when he was a baby (35 years ago)! It was made from pieces of brightly colored material she had collected over the years. My son grew up calling the blanket his "Me Me". He slept with it every night all though childhood and high school even. Of course he didn't think I knew he still slept with it at that age. Little did I know when he moved out (at age 21) he took it with him and still slept with it!! He would put it under his pillow. Of course by this time after 21 years it was in pieces and looked like a rag. The day before he got married he took me out for lunch. He had a a card and gift for me. The card read...Mom this is for you. Love you always, Steve. I opened the gift and there it was...the blanket, or what was left of it. I now have it in a special place with a little teddy bear holding it. I still cry when I remember back to the day he gave me that blanket.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,913,526 times
Lovely thread, Pocono!

So far, these two pictures are fantasmagoric!!!! We need a return to nostalgia, and to times when things were simpler.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:14 PM

76 posts, read 325,012 times
Items from the past is a weakness for me. I'm loving these pictures, but the stories that go with them are priceless! Thank you for sharing!! I'll have to get some on here of some of my treasures and tales.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:30 PM

709 posts, read 2,183,074 times
State of the art before the TVA ran a line and hooked us up to the electric grid.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:21 AM

very awesome photos, roger & sue!! so glad you joined in!

I love your story, oklahomasue!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:21 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,825,782 times
All great photos so far. Awesome idea for a photo topic.

Poconoproud, I have a friend who is a dealer, and she refers to those as "head vases." I don't have them but recall a couple that my grandmother had in her living room.

Oklahomasue, that is the sweetest story, and I love the photo the accompanied it too.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
All great photos so far. Awesome idea for a photo topic.

Poconoproud, I have a friend who is a dealer, and she refers to those as "head vases." I don't have them but recall a couple that my grandmother had in her living room.

Oklahomasue, that is the sweetest story, and I love the photo the accompanied it too.

Thank you.... I like this thread, too...and look forward to seeing more pictures!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM

409 posts, read 952,625 times
We have 5 of those old irons that belonged to hubby's great grand parents. I wonder why they had so many? It's not like the electric cord went bad!
I wonder if after using them for a short time if they cooled off and you had to replace them with another while you heated it back up? Does anyone have a clue? I don't even know how they heated them. Maybe they set them on the cook stove or something. I'm just glad those days are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography