Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2009, 09:10 PM

454 posts, read 688,910 times

Advertisements

I did a photoshoot with a photographer (tfp) at the end of August. Here it is the start of October and I still have yet to see the photos. It was done with me and another model.

I have tried to contact him several times but now Im getting un-returned voicemail. When I call, I hear my name on the recording saying that he is unavailable.

It has never taken this long to get photos back from a photographer even during tfp shoots. I ran into him at a bar 3 weeks ago and he said that he's still busy, in the process of moving, editing other photos...Im just thinking he took the shoot and is not going to give back the photos.

Next time Im going to make photographers sign a paper saying that they return the photos to me within a certain amount of time or Im going to small claims. This is ridiculous, how can I get through to this guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:30 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Did you Know he was moving Before you did the shoot?

Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,045,122 times
Did you have a working contract that was signed?

If not, you're not going to have too much leverage on this. If you do have a contract, then you could try to have it enforced in small claims court, but even a judgment in SCC isn't going to get you the pictures.

Frankly, if you are going to try to get a photographer that is doing a trade for portfolios work to sign a contract, you are just going to find fewer photographers who are going to want to spend the time to do the shoot. I in no way condone what you are stating this photographer has done in delaying getting the photos to you, but s/he has not incentive to work on the photos because you aren't paying for them.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 PM

454 posts, read 688,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
but s/he has not incentive to work on the photos because you aren't paying for them.
well he shouldn't of extended the offer if he isnt willing to work on them. I just sent him an email saying I dont give a **** about the edits, just give me the ****ing CD! Okay I exaggerated, I asked professionally but if he ignores that email I will say it just like that, in person!

I dont know, I think its real shady for someone to take so long with this.

Old 10-05-2009, 10:45 PM

3,412 posts, read 10,171,933 times
Did you sign a Model release?
If not, he can't legally use your photos anywhere without your consent. Even though this is not guarantee you will see your photos, but in any case, he can't use them other then his portfolio (if he has one, website, etc)
Without written contract, even TF* you don't have much leg to stand on. Just hope he'll get back to you, and keep contacting him. What other info do you have on him besides the phone number?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,832,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joei View Post
When I call, I hear my name on the recording saying that he is unavailable.
Why is YOUR name on his recording?

Evidently a lot of models have been burned by flaky photographers, or people posing as photographers. I've had requests twice doing TFCD for a CD at the time of the shoot. I bring my laptop and cut them a CD on the spot. I also advise them not to use the images, but to wait for the edited versions. They can also use the CD as proofs, and get back to me which images they want edited. In one case a model went and used some images from the CD and did some great edits and used those images on her website. That was a pleasant surprise, good for her.

How did you get hooked up with this photographer? Generally any photographer worth his salt will have references for you to check. Since you've been burned by him, I would suggest breaking the chain by putting the word out so that others don't get burned as well. I have one friend with a big list of models he's worked with on his modeling portfolio. He also lists the models that have flaked out on him by not showing up. It's only right. Worst case, consider this a learning experience. Do a better job at researching photographers next time. And demand a CD at the time of the shoot if you have any doubts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography