Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 04:39 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,039,653 times

Advertisements

Not including online competitions, does anyone on here have any experiences entering a photo contest? There is a rather large competition coming up in my area, and although I have no chance at all, I think it would be neat to see one of mine in the group. This event is held at the Georgia National Fair, and I think last year there were more than 900 beginner class photos entered. Even more for the intermediate class and even more for the pro/open class (I think). Perhaps it is just me... but it is pretty impressive to walk around and look at all those photo's. 95% of all the pictures are top notch, too.

To be completely honest, I witnessed a photo judging at one of my camera club meetings and was not overly impressed with the judging method. Do not get me wrong, with several hundred pictures to judge it is a daunting task. But I sat back and watched the judges eyes and for most pictures they (three judges) gave but a slight glance to any single picture. Two seconds tops. They then entered a score from 1 to 7 and moved on to the next. The highest combined score won, and in the event of a tie they rejudged the associated pictures. Far be it for me to question their individual judging, but I walked away feeling bad for the folks that spent the time and effort to print, frame and wrap their photos, take the photos to the entry place and pay the entry fee for a two second critique, at best.

So, are there any award winning photographers out there? ShepsMom, Nomadicus, RayinAK, Alpha, Azkadellia,... ect., ect., (the rest of you great shooters[too many to mention])? What awards have you won or experiences have you had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 05:26 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
I also used to be involved in a camera club where we had competitions once a month. In our case, photos were mounted on black mat boards and shown on a special lightbox. Unfortunately beginners and pros (or practically pros) were all lumped together, which meant a lot of the same people won much of the time. The top four in each category were then taken to a larger group of 34 clubs in the Chicago metro area and judged again.

Many times it seemed that the judges judged a photo more because it was one of his/her favorite topics (example, lighthouses) rather than judge on the quality of the photo itself.

In spite of all that, I did get a lot of Honorable Mentions and got awards a few times. The biggest thrill was the rare occasion when I would snag "Photo of the Month" out of all combined.

I've never had the guts to enter a major competition like those in some photo magazines, sponsored by Kodak, etc. or even a state fair or competition at a major zoo, but I agree that it would be an awesome, if not humbling, experience. I think you should go for it!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:02 AM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,449 times
I have won several awards, both on a national and local level. I prefer LOCAL competitions. Mostly, mine have been in juried art shows.

The national contest, was on line based, and there was NO prize, just recognition, at BetterPhoto.com they have a monthly free contest, and you have NO idea how its judged, but its fun to take a chance and see how you do.

Only thing I have about local competitions, is that I WILL ask where the judge is from, and get some insight as to their qualifications. That may sound snarky but I really don't want the local butcher shop owner judging my work. Small town shows do that from time to time, the local mayor, the wife of Mr. So and So who donates sooo much money to local events...yeah, you know where I'm coming from.

So advice:

Juried Art Shows: YES. Local level, and branch out, county, state, gallery exhibition, etc.
Nationals or Onlines: At your discretion, do the homework first.
Ask for Judge Credentials: ABSOLUTELY. If you consider your work worthy of competition, you deserve to have your work fairly and correctly judged, by people who KNOW what they are looking at.
Compete in the proper category: YES. If you are 'just starting' you're in the Amateur category, if you've competed before and done a bit of winning, go Intermediate, been at it a while and won a lot, OR you make money from being a photographer, go PRO.

Do I do it for the prize? Nope. I do it because I really do enjoy this thing I do, and l enjoy the competition.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:04 AM

PhotoGal,

My club does not do the 'in-house' competitions you speak of. And probably for the very reason you state... we have several members who are pro's... and have been for years. The judging I witnessed was for the second largest competition we have around here, the Cherry Blossom Festival. There were probably 800 pictures total in that contest, which is tiny compared to the one coming up. Heck, I will be honest, it was intimidating just walking around the Ga. National Fair contest last year WITHOUT a picture entered. I had no idea just how many excellent photographers there are around here. There were 10 year old kids taking magazine cover quality pictures. No kidding or exaggerating there... seriously. One of my pictures would probably end up in the tenth row of also-ran photos. But even still, I think it would be neat to see my name in lights... I mean a picture of mine on the wall!! But I do not even know how to begin in selecting one... the best one... I have taken in the last year or so. Should I pick out five I like and ask friends and family which they like best? I just do not know.
Humbling? For sure!!!
Thanks for sharing.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:09 AM

Azkadellia,

I knew, based on the photos in this forum, that we had some award winners here. Congrats!!
Thanks for the advise.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:10 AM

3,412 posts, read 10,172,679 times
I've never entered nor wont anything, i don't have enough guts to enter to any contest. I'm however considering one of PopPhoto magazine challenges. I'm not even sure what it cost.

Wanna try??

Whatever you do, stay away from some sites such as Picture.com

Old 08-11-2008, 06:52 AM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
As long as we're on the topic of competing (forgive me if this doesn't quite relate), I'd just like to say that it's even somewhat intimidating to participate on this forum with the caliber of photos that are displayed here. But I'm trying to look at it as a learning experience and a challenge to step up my game. I'm starting to try new things, explore more of the bells and whistles on my camera, et cetera.

It's hard, but I'm trying to think of contributing here more as competing against myself and trying to top my personal best. That's challenge enough for me right now.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotogGal View Post
As long as we're on the topic of competing (forgive me if this doesn't quite relate), I'd just like to say that it's even somewhat intimidating to participate on this forum with the caliber of photos that are displayed here. But I'm trying to look at it as a learning experience and a challenge to step up my game. I'm starting to try new things, explore more of the bells and whistles on my camera, et cetera.

It's hard, but I'm trying to think of contributing here more as competing against myself and trying to top my personal best. That's challenge enough for me right now.
I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I will not let Alpha goad me into the monthly contests! As far as the big competition coming up in my area, well, I have no fantasies of being anywhere but near the bottom of the 'also-ran' photo's. But if I am gonna enter a shot or two, I would like to lose with my best shots. And that is the real bottom line of this thread... how do you know which photo(s) to enter? Are they the ones you take, and then when you see them full size you say "Wow!", or do you go "enie, minie, minie, moe"? Even as a beginner, I can find flaws in my decent shots. Some flaws are probably fatal even. But like I said, I got no problem being next to dead last. I just do not want to hold down that bottom spot!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:50 PM

1,401 posts, read 3,774,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. That is why I will not let Alpha goad me into the monthly contests! As far as the big competition coming up in my area, well, I have no fantasies of being anywhere but near the bottom of the 'also-ran' photo's. But if I am gonna enter a shot or two, I would like to lose with my best shots. And that is the real bottom line of this thread... how do you know which photo(s) to enter? Are they the ones you take, and then when you see them full size you say "Wow!", or do you go "enie, minie, minie, moe"? Even as a beginner, I can find flaws in my decent shots. Some flaws are probably fatal even. But like I said, I got no problem being next to dead last. I just do not want to hold down that bottom spot!!!

You know how I choose my competing shots?

I got with my first instinct. Usually, in juried shows locally I can enter up to three images....this year, one that I chose, was pretty much a 'gut shot straight draw, yeah I'm entering that one...' but my hubby picked it as well, and it ended up being my award winner of the season....Most times, if you 'go with your gut', that's really the best way....

Old 08-11-2008, 05:20 PM

One vote for "you just know"!! (yikes, I am in trouble )
Thanx Azkedellia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography