Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 01:11 PM

20 posts, read 59,808 times

Advertisements

I was considering a canon rebel xti or the nikon d40..

Any suggestions would be nice, it doesn't have to be Nikon or Canon just a good quality cam that will produce high quality photos.. Also, im not looking to spend any more than $700-$750.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2008, 01:46 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,122 times
You can't go wrong with either but I would say you should look at where you want to be rather than where you are now. The main cost isn't in the body but in the lenses and other accessories. You'll spend a lot more on those over the course of your hobby than you will on bodies and it's expensive to switch brands. Take a look at the offerings of both Canon and Nikon and make up your mind with that long term goal in mind.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:17 PM

23,014 posts, read 34,374,307 times
Buy the best lenses you can afford!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:32 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,115 times
I am a beginner and got the D40 last summer and LOVE it. Perhaps someday I'll upgrade but honestly...there is so much for me to learn that I feel this will whet my appetite for some time. Buy one and invest in good lenses. I liked the Nikon because my computer takes SD cards...and I thought (from what I had read) that Canon took CF cards. I preferred the SD.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:34 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
I am a beginner and got the D40 last summer and LOVE it. Perhaps someday I'll upgrade but honestly...there is so much for me to learn that I feel this will whet my appetite for some time. Buy one and invest in good lenses. I liked the Nikon because my computer takes SD cards...and I thought (from what I had read) that Canon took CF cards. I preferred the SD.
I use SD cards on my Canon camera.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I use SD cards on my Canon camera.
Wow. That's good to know. When I read about the Digital Rebel it said Compact Flash cards. Weird. Thanks for the info!

Old 04-15-2008, 12:36 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Wow. That's good to know. When I read about the Digital Rebel it said Compact Flash cards. Weird. Thanks for the info!
The one I use on a Rebel XT is as follows: SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash. I bought a couple of new 2GB cards for $25.00 each. I believe I can also use a faster SanDisk card if I wanted, but this one is fast enough.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The one I use on a Rebel XT is as follows: SanDisk Ultra II Compact Flash. I bought a couple of new 2GB cards for $25.00 each. I believe I can also use a faster SanDisk card if I wanted, but this one is fast enough.
That might be the difference. I was talking about SD memory cards which mean Secure Digital. Compact flash is the type of memory card.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:38 AM

53 posts, read 84,299 times
I started with a cheap SLR that was full of features but the lenses were of poor quality at larger apertures f4.8 to 2.0. Then started using high quality used range finders with excellent lenses but I like to take closeups, one foot or less, and it's tough with a range finder. Then along came digital photography, no darkroom needed. I resisted but then decided to try it after talking to high school photo instructor, I was worried about the resolution of digital cameras.

My first purchase was an HP 945 DSLR 5.2megpixels with a small, 1.5 inch viewing screen which I seldom use, 7x zoom and 8x digital zoom a total of 56x...incredible and it works. The flash is decent too and it has digital flash. I was always impressed with the zoom TV lenses especially when I saw one go from a close up of a spectator to a closeup of the moon. I don't know if they did it on purpose but they showed the maker of the camera unit FUJINON so I was impressed when I found out my HP had a FUJINON zoom lense. It does everything fairly well. If your taking time exposures make sure it's on a stand because it will work out the settings and take a one minute exposure. Problem is this camera's circuitry uses too much energy rechargeable batteries are gone in 20 photos. HP does not make anything equivalent to this camera today.

My next purchase was a Casio range finder. Battery life is just plain outstanding. So much so you forget to charge it. The flash is terrible something like 10 feet for good photos. My Minolta 35mm range finder was excellent. Great photos and of all things a 50 flash. I was able to take photos of the arch work of cathedrals with this built in flash.

So, what do you look for? A camera that can use both rechargeable and alkaline batteries and battery life is good, plenty of pixels 5meg plus (are you going to make a 4 x 5 foot poster?) the type of memory card or cards used, the quality of the lenses but almost all name brands use quality lenses. Panasonic has Leica lenses, Sony uses Ziess, Casio uses Pentax, Fuji uses Fujinon, and of course Nikon and Canon use their own and are very good too.

Features? Don't get too many features. If this is your first camera you'll need to take a class just to learn the features. You want something you can go out and have fun with NOW and digital cameras are full of features. Where are those features? Do you have to be careful about moving them from your settings too easily. The HP gets bumped and I'm taking videos! The little Casio has at least 10 ways to program the focus and another three to program the quality.

DSLRs are nice but they're expensive. Then, in is some cases, your stuck with buying lenses for them. Been there. Just when you've put your telephoto on you see a perfect closeup and it's gone. Are you a portrait, family, snapshot or sports photographer? DSLRs are bulky and heavy. I'm always blown away buy snapshots taken by inexpensive range finders with few features but a great flash.

Today I'd like a Panasonic Lumix, or maybe the Sony with the Ziess lense, or maybe a Kodak, there are so many good digital cameras it's impossible to chose. You might want to search Digital SLR Reviews they give you the good and bad points and their choices somethings.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by MJME; 04-15-2008 at 09:50 AM..

Old 04-17-2008, 06:19 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,306,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meki089 View Post
I was considering a canon rebel xti or the nikon d40..

Any suggestions would be nice, it doesn't have to be Nikon or Canon just a good quality cam that will produce high quality photos.. Also, im not looking to spend any more than $700-$750.
I'm a Canon fan myself. If you're willing to spend just a bit more than what you stated, Canon is releasing a new version of the Rebel (XSi) in June, and it has a load of upgrades - including a kit lens with image stabilization. Previously IS lenses were extremely expensive, so I see this as a great deal.

Oh, and the new XSi will use SD cards rather than CF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography