Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 01:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,472,152 times

Advertisements

Have a FinePix A500 5.1 mpix that i'd like to upgrade to one of the newr 16 megapix cameras .
The FinePix has been a reliable camera for the last 10yrs that takes ok pics and as i have some spare money at the moment thought it might be a good time to upgrade to a newer point and shoot camera that will take me trough another 10yrs.
A quick look on Google comes up with dozens of cameras that might be right but how can i tell?
I'm looking for something under $200 and takes regular AA batteries.
The wife has a camera that has to be recharged and is forever running out of power at the most inconvenient times thus the preference for a camera that takes regular batteries..
Any one got any suggestions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 01:47 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,887,192 times
When looking for cheap deals, this is one of the places I start from. The real challenge will not be finding a nice P&S under $200 but one that uses AA batteries.

Old 06-13-2012, 02:11 PM

4,796 posts, read 10,651,967 times
No pro, but I rec'd ignoring or, not getting hung up on '16 mega pixels'...sensor quality/size, real world cam features, (that you use), etc., are more important than '16 Mps', imo.

As for P&S cams that run on AA batts: not my pick. Decent cams with rechargeable Lithium Ion batts are my pick. Cop an extra batt off discount on line joint, and keep one charged; not that difficult.

There are literally pages of photo sites that have their fave top 5/top 10 cams at '$200 and under'.

Don't bet on a new P&S lasting a decade like your current one did: they are getting less sturdy every year.

And, what is current P&S cam used for, usually? Snap shot stuff of the Fam, close in flowers/bugs, landscapes, general stuff, or something more specific? Those common usage needs and requirements would help in gleaning specific recommendations, but with the plethora of good cams on the mkt, I don't see how a specific camera rec'd can be anything but anecdotal...those sites are your friend, at least in terms of seeing what cams come up on various lists and on the jukebox.
My 50Cts.
GL, mD

Old 06-13-2012, 02:57 PM

Still many options, maybe the question should be when is it time to upgrade the old camera?As there are no features on a new cameras that arent on the old camera,i just use it for family outings,scenes on vacations,the occasional event, The only upgrade i see on the new cameras is the mega pixel count which presumably will give better picture quality..

Old 06-14-2012, 02:15 PM

Couldnt resist i let the salesman at Best Buys be my guide and i bought a
Sony Cyber-Shot DSCW650, couldnt find anything that came with AA bateries so i guess if its looking like i'll need that capability i'll just fire up the old camera.
Looks like this one

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,533,624 times
You let the salesman at Best Buy be your guide? Your lucky you got out alive!
Congratulations on your new Sony.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Congratulations!

Is that W650?

Old 06-14-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
You let the salesman at Best Buy be your guide? Your lucky you got out alive!
Congratulations on your new Sony.
I told him what i wanted and he pointed out a couple of options.
Yes its the W650.
First problem i'm having is trying to figure out where the pictures are going when i plug the memory card into my card reader,on my other cameras when i plug in the memory card to the card reader a window pops up on the computer telling me where the pics are ,usually in a removable disc with a letter designation A-F,when plugging in this memory card that looks like all the others this location window doesnt show up,if i wire the camera to the PC the window pops up and tells me the pics are in removable disc F, Is there some reason my computer wont read this memory card?Its just a generic memory card that was bought separately from the camera.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:12 AM

10,219 posts, read 17,957,056 times
Does it show up if you open Windows Explorer/My Computer and look under "Computer > Devices with removable storage"?

Old 06-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I told him what i wanted and he pointed out a couple of options.
Yes its the W650.
First problem i'm having is trying to figure out where the pictures are going when i plug the memory card into my card reader,on my other cameras when i plug in the memory card to the card reader a window pops up on the computer telling me where the pics are ,usually in a removable disc with a letter designation A-F,when plugging in this memory card that looks like all the others this location window doesnt show up,if i wire the camera to the PC the window pops up and tells me the pics are in removable disc F, Is there some reason my computer wont read this memory card?Its just a generic memory card that was bought separately from the camera.
It appears an update (Windows, or an installed software) has altered default settings on your Windows. Do you have Windows 7 or a different OS?

Alternatively, after you put the SD card in, open Windows Explorer, and scroll down to see if your PC has identified and displays the card on the left column (expand "My Computer" if you need to). If you see it there, click on the SD card, and you should find the photographs in a subfolder under "DCIM" folder.

PS. If you can find "AutoPlay" in Control Panel options, click on it, and see how your computer is set up to read by default.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography