Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 10:12 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,999,070 times

Advertisements

My husband is going on 4 day fishing trip to BC --Prince Ruppert Sound area--
he is not big time outdoor sports guy--mostly golf for him
we have fairly new Panasonic Lumix digital camera that takes decent pictures for pocket size camera but it is definitely not a waterproof/shockproof kind of camera
they will be going on on boats to fish for salmon--

he wants to get lots of photos because supposed to be lots of wildlife in addition to any fishing activity

I don't mind spending some money on good quality waterproof/outdoor camera because we have bought vacation house in FL and will be spending more time on beach and fishing probably when we are there

read review of the new Olympus TG1-1HS digital camera
supposed to have some upgraded aspects to improve pix quality but has only 5x zoom

should we just look for waterproof case for the camera we have now or go for one designed for more outdoor activity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:18 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,867,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
My husband is going on 4 day fishing trip to BC --Prince Ruppert Sound area--
he is not big time outdoor sports guy--mostly golf for him
we have fairly new Panasonic Lumix digital camera that takes decent pictures for pocket size camera but it is definitely not a waterproof/shockproof kind of camera
they will be going on on boats to fish for salmon--

he wants to get lots of photos because supposed to be lots of wildlife in addition to any fishing activity

I don't mind spending some money on good quality waterproof/outdoor camera because we have bought vacation house in FL and will be spending more time on beach and fishing probably when we are there

read review of the new Olympus TG1-1HS digital camera
supposed to have some upgraded aspects to improve pix quality but has only 5x zoom

should we just look for waterproof case for the camera we have now or go for one designed for more outdoor activity
That is something I would do, and have considered. But if you believe that such will not be a rare occasion, you might be better off getting a waterproof camera to begin with.

As far as zoom goes, 5X appears more than enough to me. For that matter, if I were to get a waterproof case, it will be for my Sony NEX-3 with kit zoom lens, only 3X there (18-55mm) and that I find sufficient for most occasions.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 AM

3,863 posts, read 9,526,003 times
Pentax Optio WG-2 16 MP it's waterproof, dustproof, coldproof, shockproof and crushproof.
Amazon.com: Pentax Optio WG-2 Kit: Camera & Photo

or you could get the Pentax Optio WG-1 for under $200 with "only" 14 MP
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Adventu...tax+optio+wg-1

Old 06-11-2012, 04:46 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,275,493 times
For all around durability, you can't beat the Pentax Optio.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:52 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,461,514 times
Olympus has a whole host of really good waterproof cameras. The TG-1 iHS just came out and looks awesome.

http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?_en...vptwo=&hvqmt=e

Old 06-11-2012, 09:04 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,581,524 times
Pentax Optio W90 is the one I have.. Newest version is the Pentax Optio WG-2 as above post . Down side the view screen is not so great in direct sun. And with my W90 seems the battery life is short. 150 shots out door with out flash.
FYI: I was told on mine and they may have changed on the newest version. The zoom lens is internal. The lens in the housing is polished quarts and if you clean that with alcohol it will fog and discolor over time. It does take great photo's close range.For long wide landscapes it's so so.. it does have a 3 position stitch mode, you will need a tripod. It does take photo's in auto mode set it up and walk away it will take a photo every x min for as long as you set it or until card is full or battery goes dead.It does great macro flower shots. It also has microscope mode again a tripod is needed.
if it's raining no problem it's water proof down too 30 feet supposedly. It's small the size of a ice cream sandwich that long and wide and thick.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 AM

37,313 posts, read 59,999,070 times
I got the new Olympus
but the mfg released this new version w/o having batteries to replace the OE one--so you can't buy a spare battery or two and have them charged and ready to use...you can't use the same battery in the other Tough cameras--this one takes a larger battery size...
Sony is who they are using to mfg the extra batteries and Sony is still suffering from the tsunami problems of 12+ mo ago...
lot of stuff from Japan is showing slowdown because of the energy/supply situation there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography