Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 08:45 PM

3,863 posts, read 9,533,624 times

Advertisements

OK! I just got my new Nikon D3100 and gave the Canon Powershot A560 P&S to my wife to play with. With the Canon I was using cheap SDHC cards from Wal-Mart or Walgreen's whatever I could find on sale. Now the dilemma is, should I upgrade to (what I have seen on places like DPR) the SDHC Hi speed error free class 10 cards or keep using the el-cheapo cards? What are the advantages of the way more expensive SDHC cards over the Walgreen brand? Do the photo's turn out better? Are the colors more vivid? Do they capture any more details than the cheap brands? Any info/input is appreciated... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 09:14 PM

13,276 posts, read 21,904,706 times
The data stored on the cards, and hence the photos themselves, will be identical regardless of whether you use a cheap or expensive card. The more expensive cards give you (arguably) better reliability, and faster speed. You'll only notice the speed factor if you shoot high-speed bursts with your camera. Your burst buffer may fill faster using slower cards. If you don't notice a problem with your old cards, then you don't have one.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:35 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,935,478 times
I jump into a class 10 card and the only difference for my use was a faster download to the computer. It wasn't worth it for me.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 PM

13,276 posts, read 21,904,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
faster download to the computer
Oh yeah, that's the other advantage to a faster card. Thanks for reminding me.

Old 10-31-2011, 10:23 PM

Hmmm..Ok Thanks you have given me some thing to think about faster downloads and hi-speed burst shooting...(like video recording I assume) are not enough reason for me to switch over to a $60 SD card from a $15 dollar one right now but the reliablility issue may be in the future.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,395,804 times
The first time your card fails, and you lose images, that's when you realize the benefit of a higher quality card...

Not that the more expensive cards don't fail too - they do! But it happens far less often, and at least then you know you did everything possible to keep your images safe.

If you can afford even one better card, I would go for it! And if you have a full day of shooting ahead, and know you will be using all your cards, make sure you plan to use the best card for the most crucial images.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
The first time your card fails, and you lose images, that's when you realize the benefit of a higher quality card...

Not that the more expensive cards don't fail too - they do! But it happens far less often, and at least then you know you did everything possible to keep your images safe.

If you can afford even one better card, I would go for it! And if you have a full day of shooting ahead, and know you will be using all your cards, make sure you plan to use the best card for the most crucial images.
Sounds reasonable, Thanks! I guess I may just have to break down and get at least one higher quality SDHC card probably an 8GB one as I cant imagine shooting all that it would hold in one week..let alone one day where I couldn't get to a computer and download the images that I shot, and then erase and make space for more. Now the dilemma is which brand of higher quality SDHC card should one get? Is one better than the other?

Thanks again for yall's help on this. (yes I said yall's ..I am southern after all )

Old 11-01-2011, 07:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,887,192 times
I've two SDHC/Class 10 cards, one is SanDisk 16GB that I got for about $40 (online) and the other is a Lexar 8GB purchased for about $15. While both are Class 10, the data transfer rate for the SanDisk is still higher and that difference is visible when taking pictures in RAW (plus JPG) as well as continuous burst (since my camera allows for 10 fps shooting, it makes sense to take advantage of it at times). Both of there were key to my decision on going Class 10.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM

4,644 posts, read 4,944,596 times
I run all class 10s. the difference in cost between the class 4 and 6 and 10 at Fry's was almost nothing, so fastest it is. I notice no difference except in video.

I notice more difference brand to brand than class to class.
For example, we've got some nicer Transcent cards. They don't work at all in the D7000. They work great in SD card readers on the computer though - the camera won't even recognize that the card is in the slot. I've exchanged the cards a couple times, and every time, they don't work. I've got some cheaper ADATA cards that work perfect in the camera and PC. The Transcent cards were double the cost of the ADATA cards, but useless for their intended use!

Old 11-01-2011, 05:15 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,783,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcapmagishion View Post
Hmmm..Ok Thanks you have given me some thing to think about faster downloads and hi-speed burst shooting...(like video recording I assume) are not enough reason for me to switch over to a $60 SD card from a $15 dollar one right now but the reliablility issue may be in the future.
oh damn don't pay that...give me a day or so and I'll send you some links to keep an eye on for inexpensive good high speed cards! dang I don't pay more than $20 for 8GB an up cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography