Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,920 times

Advertisements

LOL, after running through lightroom I use GIMP for pixel editing... works great for me and will run various PS plugins if needed (but I dont).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:23 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,835,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
I updated from Photoshop 7 to CS2 only because I was forced to by a dead hard drive and lost original disks. Otherwise, I would still be quite happy on version 7. And I earn my living using Photoshop as a web designer. The truth is that they have added more bells and whistles but nothing you cannot live quite well without. Your money is better spent on a good raw converter like Lightroom or Capture One. Even cheaper raw converters like Lightzone or Bibble Light will do an excellent job and are quite flexible and powerful. I do most of my post processing in raw converters and final resizing and sharpening in Photoshop. Other than not being compatible with a few of the newer plugins there is nothing I miss by not upgrading any further.
Since you haven't kept up with recent versions of Photoshop, you must have missed the fact that Photoshop and LightRoom use the same raw converter (ACR) now.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:57 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Since you haven't kept up with recent versions of Photoshop, you must have missed the fact that Photoshop and LightRoom use the same raw converter (ACR) now.
I consider Lightroom a better investment than a Photoshop upgrade for my personal need as a digital photographer. In addition to a far better cataloging feature, it has a greater range of tools expressly for image editing. I don't do alot of photo compositing. I simply try to extract the best color and detail from my images. For that Lightroom is perfectly suited at a much lower price.But then again, I tend to be a bargain hunter anyway

Old 03-16-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I consider Lightroom a better investment than a Photoshop upgrade for my personal need as a digital photographer. In addition to a far better cataloging feature, it has a greater range of tools expressly for image editing. I don't do alot of photo compositing. I simply try to extract the best color and detail from my images. For that Lightroom is perfectly suited at a much lower price.But then again, I tend to be a bargain hunter anyway
That's fine. I just didn't want folks to get the wrong idea that the RAW converter in Lightroom is in any way better than the one in Photoshop. It's not, because it's the same one.

As for myself, I prefer using a single tool that meets all of my needs, namely Photoshop.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
I consider Lightroom a better investment than a Photoshop upgrade for my personal need as a digital photographer. In addition to a far better cataloging feature, it has a greater range of tools expressly for image editing.
BTW, please elaborate on what LightRoom has in the way of "a greater range of tools expressly for image editing" than Photoshop.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:28 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
BTW, please elaborate on what LightRoom has in the way of "a greater range of tools expressly for image editing" than Photoshop.
None that I am aware of. I use both and the only thing I find LR can do better than CS5 is the organizer and RAW processing of multiple photos. Shooting sports, that is a pretty big selling point for me. But when it comes to editing I've yet to find anything that LR3 can do that CS5 can't.

Old 03-16-2011, 04:34 PM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
lightroom is good for quick edits but i find it very limited in use with software filters like topaz labs and nik software which i like to use. the fact you can layer and remove skies or places you dont want the software effects makes lightroom a weak editor for me.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brill View Post
None that I am aware of. I use both and the only thing I find LR can do better than CS5 is the organizer and RAW processing of multiple photos. Shooting sports, that is a pretty big selling point for me. But when it comes to editing I've yet to find anything that LR3 can do that CS5 can't.
Thanks Brill. I don't use LR, but that was my impression. There are a couple of ways to do batch RAW in Photoshop which I use, probably not as convenient as LR, but they do work for me. I'll have to demo LR sometime to see what all the hoopla is about.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,184 times
You can generally do everything in CS5 from PS7. However, where CS5 has made improvements, you can do those same tasks a LOT FASTER in CS5 than in PS7.

I'm also a big fan of Lightroom.

Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 AM

728 posts, read 1,782,920 times
I have lightroom 2.7, but I JUST got PS5 yesterday! Now I'm going to have to retrain myself to translate my GIMP processes around it... happy fun time *yikes*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Photography