Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2010, 01:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,785 times

Advertisements

I need a little help on this! I'm a black 24yr female moving to AZ next year. I'm unsure of just where to move. I would really like to move to an area that mirrors where I live now; clean, safe, great shopping and eating. I currently live in Rankin County in MS. However, I do want a very diverse mixed crowd. No im not a racist by any means but I checked the stats and know the ratio of blacks to whites and all that other stuff: only 2.5% black. Can anybody help? Even if its not Gilbert or Mesa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 05:25 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Tempe is the most racially/ethnically diverse city in the Valley, and offers a lot of what you are looking for. Scottsdale is a little less diverse, but would also be a good choice in terms of the amenities you want. I'm not sure why you are focusing on Mesa or Gilbert as a place to live, but they are less racially/ethnically diverse; Gilbert, in particular, is largely a bedroom community - most don't live AND work in Gilbert. The Valley is really spread out, and commute times can be long, so choices as to where to live are best made once you know where you will be working. Long commutes can get very old very fast.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:02 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'MisSippiChick' View Post
I need a little help on this! I'm a black 24yr female moving to AZ next year. I'm unsure of just where to move. I would really like to move to an area that mirrors where I live now; clean, safe, great shopping and eating. I currently live in Rankin County in MS. However, I do want a very diverse mixed crowd. No im not a racist by any means but I checked the stats and know the ratio of blacks to whites and all that other stuff: only 2.5% black. Can anybody help? Even if its not Gilbert or Mesa.
Remember that Black folks can live anywhere they want here in the Phx area...........it pretty much depends on how much $$$ you have

Too; outside of parts of South Phx (not Ahwatukee, the stereotypical 'south' Phx AKA the area N of South Mountain) which is basically ghetto; there are NO majority Black enclaves here.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:35 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Chandler is the most ethnically diverse city in the Valley overall. The closest thing to a little Asia is located in Chandler (Warner and Dobson) and it has Lee Lee's market and several Vietnamese and Chinese restaurants and shopping in that area. There is a huge Hindu temple on Chandler Blvd and I-10 behind the Red Roof Inn. They were trying to build a second Hindu temple in east Chandler which shows the diversity that exists there. Tempe is the most liberal of all the cities in the Valley. Either one is a good choice. I live in Chandler in an upscale area and I have African American neighbors on my street and they are well received and there is no issue or stigma as there shouldn't be. It's just that I've spent some time in Memphis, Oklahoma City and Dallas and I know the stigma that often faces African Americans (and minorities in general) in upscale neighborhoods.

If I were you, I would most definitely avoid Mesa particularly east Mesa. I would also avoid Gilbert as well since they have almost zero diversity. I like Gilbert but call a spade a spade, go to San Tan Village, check out the area, you will not see any minorities there including Asians and Hispanics. Go to Chandler Mall and walk around and you will see the vastly different demographic. Everyone will now tell you I'm wrong. Someone will post a statistic showing how diverse Gilbert is....whatever...like I said, go to San Tan Village and examine the crowds there and then go to Chandler Mall. I guarantee you will notice the difference.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 04-18-2010 at 11:49 AM..

Old 04-19-2010, 12:17 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,041,763 times
Tempe or Chandler....Nah on Mesa

Old 04-19-2010, 12:28 AM

63 posts, read 111,829 times
I live in the Ahwatukee area, which I find to be safe and close to shopping. My community is pretty diverse with a good number of Blacks and people get along.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

I would also avoid Gilbert as well since they have almost zero diversity. I like Gilbert but call a spade a spade, go to San Tan Village, check out the area, you will not see any minorities there including Asians and Hispanics.
As a Realtor it is risky for me to discuss ethnic diversity. We are not allowed to steer anyone to or from an area based on ethnicity or religion.

However, I believe it is safe for me to correct what appears to be an incorrect generalization of Gilbert, and point the OP to where the statistics can be found.

Below are statistic that are copied and pasted from the cited source.

I would advise anyone moving to any new area who is interested in learning the ethnic or religious statistics, to research the facts from the sources. Crime statistics for each city can also be found online.

Below is the ethnic diversity for Gilbert and Chandler from the sources cited:

[LEFT]Races in Gilbert:
  • White Non-Hispanic (79.9%)
  • Hispanic (11.9%)
  • Other race (4.8%)
  • Two or more races (2.8%)
  • Black (2.4%)
  • American Indian (1.1%)
  • Chinese (0.9%)
  • Filipino (0.7%)
  • Asian Indian (0.6%)
[SIZE=2](Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
[/SIZE][/LEFT]

SOURCE: https://www.city-data.com/city/Gilbert-Arizona.html#ixzz0lYej5d44

[LEFT]Races in Chandler:
  • White Non-Hispanic (68.6%)
  • Hispanic (21.0%)
  • Other race (10.8%)
  • Black (3.5%)
  • Two or more races (3.0%)
  • American Indian (1.8%)
  • Chinese (1.1%)
  • Asian Indian (0.9%)
  • Filipino (0.7%)
  • Vietnamese (0.5%)
[SIZE=2](Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races) [/SIZE][/LEFT]

SOURCE: https://www.city-data.com/city/Chandler-Arizona.html#ixzz0lYfCWbRH

Below is the ethnic diversity of the Chandler Gilbert Community College:

American Indian/Alaskan Native
2%
Asian/Pacific Islander5% Black/Non-Hispanic4% Hispanic15% White/Non-Hispanic64% Non-Resident Alien1% Race/ethnicity unknown8% :Source is the CGCC web site

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
I appreciate those numbers, Captain Bill, but they still bear out that the percentages of non-Caucasians, both racially and ethnically, are much lower in Gilbert than in Chandler (and I suspect the same would be true compared to Tempe and some other cities, including probably Phoenix itself).

Old 04-19-2010, 02:19 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
Why does race make a difference? Shouldn't your questions be about crime rates, driving time, school districts and economics?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:23 PM

4 posts, read 13,997 times
Default Where are you thinking of working?

I try to live around where I'll be working- Mesa is closer to downtown Phoenix than Gilbert, so if your employment would be in the city, I'd pick Mesa over Gilbert hands down. Gilbert is newer, but on the outskirts of the valley. Both have their ups and downs, like any other place in the valley. Whe my husband and I first moved into the valley, we were 24, and we LOVED living in an apartment in south Scottsdale, near old town- tons of bars, sight-seeing, parks, and stores within walking distance. Great area to live in, I still miss it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area