Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 AM

4 posts, read 21,410 times

Advertisements

My wife and I arrived Phoenix a month or so ago and are looking to settle here. We've been out to Queen Creek a few times and it seemed to be a quite nice and new town. The thing is we didn't noticed a lot of folks out and about, most of the stores being empty. My question is, is this town trending up or down in regard to population? Does it have a future? I can't see the likes of Target (or any large business for that matter) paying all that overhead for long without seeing a profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 AM

675 posts, read 1,413,887 times
I wouldn't say it is dying. I'd say it is 'taking a break' from being a growing town.

It's relatively remote in comparison with the other suburbs. I think it has suffered more in terms of foreclosures, because a lot of the construction was speculative/investors. When the bubble burst it got hit a little harder.

There are probably some excellent deals out there right now, but I woudn't expect it to start growing again for a few years. Once the overall economy and employment picks up, and the housing surplus is absorbed, I think things will pick back up..

They did put a new superwalmart in a few years ago near Johnson Ranch.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:37 AM

203 posts, read 491,179 times
I think "taking a break" really means about a 10-15 year break. I can't really see any redeemable reason to live in Queen Creek at this point. Move to Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Mesa, Peoria, Glendale, hell even Buckeye.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:10 AM

1,123 posts, read 3,056,189 times
I don't' think Queen Creek is a dying town at all. The new hospital should open this year, which will bring many jobs to the area. The Horeshoe Park Equestrian Center is bringing a lot of activity and people to the area. The housing inventory is down to a little more than a 3 months supply, which means homes are selling! There is new construction, which you don't see in all parts of the valley. The town is putting up new stop lights, etc. Yes, there are some empty stores, and the fenced off proposed shopping area near Skyline Ranch, but if you look, you'll see this just about everywhere.

Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
It's treading water like most of the development is here. As the economy comes back, so will QC. QC is a good fit for many. I think that it's remoteness from the blighted areas in the valley will keep it from becoming a poverty pocket while the economy recovers.

Old 02-15-2010, 11:59 PM

2 posts, read 10,088 times
There are several outskirt communities. Queen Creek, Maricopa, Surprise, Buckeye, for example. They all got hit by the real estate crash and all will recover in time. The problem with Queen Creek is that the hunt highway traffic is so bad that is in a league of its own compared to other outskirt towns of the valley. my recomendation goes to Maricopa.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:10 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,467 times
Queen Creek is growing. As others said the economy has cause growth and development to slow significantly, but it will eventually pick up in 5-10 years when Arizona's economy gets back together.

Queen Creek is rather remote now but will likely not stay that way for much longer. ADOT plans to build the 802 freeway that will connect Queen Creek to other Southeast Valley cities such as Gilbert and Chandler. The freeway was initially scheduled to be constructed between 2016 and 2020, but will like now start construction in 2026 and be complete by 2030.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM

26 posts, read 105,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
I think "taking a break" really means about a 10-15 year break. I can't really see any redeemable reason to live in Queen Creek at this point. Move to Chandler, Gilbert, Tempe, Mesa, Peoria, Glendale, hell even Buckeye.
I'm in Cortina on Power & Germann. Queen Creek address. Other side of the street is Mesa, and the other is Gilbert.

Redeemable is cheap housing.

Don't forget that Queen Creek proper is not the "Queen Creek" that most people thought of several years ago. That area is San Tan Valley. That area has been devastated by foreclosures (Johnson Ranch, etc).

This link gives info on foreclosures in the actual Queen Creek town: Queen Creek : Residential Foreclosures in Queen Creek

Old 02-18-2010, 09:37 PM

11 posts, read 56,346 times
I remember when more people started moving to Gilbert. Times were a little better we starting to recover from the late 70's and early 80's but you were considered crazy to be so far out there. There are no paved roads and freeways and jobs. I don't think I'm aloud to give links yet; I’m new here so I'll just recommend that you look up the history of Gilbert. There are some similarities with QC except we were heading out of hard times instead of into them. When the economy does improve Queen Creek will be just fine.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywayy2001 View Post
Well said! The only reason people moved to Queen Creek in the first place is because they had no choice. The valley was getting so expensive that people were forced to move there if they wanted an affordable new house in a nice community. It's a nice community but it's extremely remote. It was a growing area and I would say it's a nice, clean and new community. But I would also admit there is no reason to live there now that the other parts of the valley are affordable again. There are absolute steals in nice parts of the southeast valley right now like Ocotillo and Northwest Chandler (IKEA area)

I hate to do this because it comes accross as me bashing Queen Creek but honestly, why would you live there when you can live in a nicer community that is more proximal to the central valley and is affordable like Ocotillo, South Tempe, Gilbert and even parts of Ahwautukee if you are interested in the southeast valley. I'm sure others are too polite to say it but I'm sure they are thinking the same thing "Why Queen Creek at a time like this???"

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-18-2010 at 10:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area