Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 08:46 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,608,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
"If you like the idea of Verado...check out Marley Park in Surprise. The same builders developed it and it has the same feel except it is closer to things."

Marley Park is very nice, but it is a "poor man's" Verrado, at best. It's not a new-urbanism community, while Verrado is... it doesn't include a number of the ammenities found in Verrado, and it is in a "lesser" school district.

But, if you are looking at Surprise, do look at Marley Park.
LOL...

Verrado is a poor man's Scottsdale at best. Sound ridiculous, doesn't it? Apply it to your comment.

Marley Park is in Surprise and the city of Surprise has an urban village concept going. You can read about it on the City of Surprise home page.

Dysart schools are good (10 years ago they were poor but have improved greatly). You can avoid all the naysayers and check out the stats for yourself on the ADE website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,794 times
I've been to both Marley Park and Verrado. Marley Park, as a matter of fact, is not a new-urbanism community. Verrado is.
New Urbanism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Whether or not that is important to someone looking at those communities is up to them.
Is Marley Park nice? Yes. Is it as nice as Verrado? No. Does it offer the same ammenities as Verrado? No. Is the Dysart School District better than the Litchfield Park School District? No. Does Surprise have more to offer than Buckeye? Yes.
I'm not saying one should choose Verrado over Marley Park or visa versa. I'm just pointing out that they are significantly different.

"If you like the idea of Verado...check out Marley Park in Surprise. The same builders developed it and it has the same feel except it is closer to things."

Old 01-17-2010, 10:49 AM

3 posts, read 12,426 times
We are looking at the same areas as you We are retiring & do not want to be in an age restricted area. We have the same concerns as your about the number of foreclosures & what it will mean as far as supporting the area. Do not want to be in a town that becomes a ghost town

Old 01-17-2010, 04:04 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
Please check out Vistancia in north Peoria. It was voted best master planned community 3 or 4 times in a row. There are two new elementary schools on site along with 3 swimming pools one a resort like atmosphere with a huge water slide for the kids. Across the street there is a golf course with restaurant. You can go to Arizona Real Estate - Vistancia - Peoria AZ - Master plan Community to see some of the ammenities here. The HOA knocks themselves out for the childrens activities and even throw a few wine tasting events for us old folks.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:45 PM

"Please check out Vistancia in north Peoria. It was voted best master planned community 3 or 4 times in a row."

I'm curious about something. Where does the best master planned community award come from? I've heard people say this community and that community (all over the valley) have won it. Estrella has won it four years running. I know with Estrella, it's the Ranking Arizona poll. Are there other polls that rank master-planned communities? Different catagories? Anyone know?

Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 AM

39,081 posts, read 51,252,674 times
Quote:
"Please check out Vistancia in north Peoria. It was voted best master planned community 3 or 4 times in a row."

I'm curious about something. Where does the best master planned community award come from? I've heard people say this community and that community (all over the valley) have won it. Estrella has won it four years running. I know with Estrella, it's the Ranking Arizona poll. Are there other polls that rank master-planned communities? Different catagories? Anyone know?
Ranking Arizona voting is open to the public. Estrella (Newland) puts out "advertising" on its community website in Estrella and in the Estrella newsletters encouraging residents to vote for Estrella. I think the sample is tainted.

Best is subjective at best. All of the newer master planned communities are great if you like that sort of living. Rating them is silly. Same demographics, same amenities, same builders, same covenants. Tweedle-dee tweedle dum. The only compelling reason to choose one over the other is proximity to work or to the things you like to do in the few hours a week you are not on the freeway or sitting in a cubicle.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-18-2010 at 07:20 AM..

Old 01-18-2010, 07:33 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,281,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Ranking Arizona voting is open to the public. Estrella (Newland) puts out "advertising" on its community website in Estrella and in the Estrella newsletters encouraging residents to vote for Estrella. I think the sample is tainted.

Best is subjective at best. All of the newer master planned communities are great if you like that sort of living. Rating them is silly. Same demographics, same amenities, same builders, same covenants. Tweedle-dee tweedle dum. The only compelling reason to choose one over the other is proximity to work or to the things you like to do in the few hours a week you are not on the freeway or sitting in a cubicle.
Agreed. Most of those polls are flawed in that way, and a small group of people that care about those rankings can make it say whatever they want. Vistancia was awarded Best Master Planned Community in America in 2005 by the National Association of Home Builders. I don't think there was much in the way of finished houses in the area at the time, so I wonder if there was an agenda there by the large, influential home builder?

I also recall the Ocotillo Master Plan in Chandler winning the award for Best Master Plan in America as well within the past couple years, but I have no idea where that award came from. I simply look at these "awards" as nothing more than marketing ploys, and they should not be used as evidence that one community is better than the other.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 AM

21 posts, read 74,968 times
Quote:

Marley Park is very nice, but it is a "poor man's" Verrado, at best. It's not a new-urbanism community, while Verrado is... it doesn't include a number of the ammenities found in Verrado, and it is in a "lesser" school district.

But, if you are looking at Surprise, do look at Marley Park.
I never said Marley Park was a new urbanism community. I guess I should have said the houses have similar architecture with porches, tree lined streets, and lots of grass. While Marley Park does not have all the ammenities that Verrado does...Surprise does offer quite a bit more ammeneties than Buckeye and Marley Park is right in the center of Surprise.

I love the fact that Verrado has a Elementary school, Middle school, and High school in the community. Verrado is a awsome community. My family was torn between Verrado and Marley Park. We chose Marley Park because of the close proximity to things.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:03 AM

"Ranking Arizona voting is open to the public. Estrella (Newland) puts out "advertising" on its community website in Estrella and in the Estrella newsletters encouraging residents to vote for Estrella. I think the sample is tainted."

"Most of those polls are flawed in that way, and a small group of people that care about those rankings can make it say whatever they want. Vistancia was awarded Best Master Planned Community in America in 2005 by the National Association of Home Builders. I don't think there was much in the way of finished houses in the area at the time, so I wonder if there was an agenda there by the large, influential home builder?
I also recall the Ocotillo Master Plan in Chandler winning the award for Best Master Plan in America as well within the past couple years, but I have no idea where that award came from. I simply look at these "awards" as nothing more than marketing ploys, and they should not be used as evidence that one community is better than the other."

That sheds some light on things. Thanks for the thoughtful answers.

Old 01-18-2010, 10:17 AM

93 posts, read 305,607 times
On the west side I would recommend Goodyear (goodyearaz.com)best north of I-10).Estrella is nice but adds +/- 30 minutes to commute downtown) and Litchfield Park (Litchfield Park, AZ). They are better situated than Buckeye (Verrado), Surprise (Marley Park) and north Peoria (Vistancia) unless most of your activities end up being in those areas. Do you necessarily want a master-planned community? There are some beautiful subdivisions in Goodyear and Litchfield Park (and other valley cities) with gyms, golf and things to do and both areas offer a good long-term upside. I wish you well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area