Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 16,789 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, this is my first post on city-data so hopefully I am writing this in the right place!

My husband, two young children, and I are considering moving to the phoenix area soon. We are looking for a place with a "small town feel", quiet, with a slower paced lifestyle. My husband would be working at the Deer Valley airport and he doesn't mind a commute around 30min. or less. I would like a grocery store close by along with post office, schools, library, but anything more than that I don't mind having to drive a ways. What areas would you suggest we look for homes? We are looking to spent around $200,000.

I've been looking at Anthem, Surprise, Fountain Hills. Fountain Hills looks beautiful but I am worried that it is mostly a retirement community and there won't be much for kids to do. Surprise seems very affordable but I've read some people say that it is all just part of "the grid" and blends in with all of Phoenix. Is that true? I've also read that the north part of Peoria is more remote, what do you think? What about places like Stetson Valley, Sonoran Mtn Ranch, Sonoran Foothills?

If my husband takes this job we will be taking one trip down there to look at different towns and houses before we move, but I'd like to narrow it down a bit before we go since we won't have much time there. Any input on these (or other) communities would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:23 PM

890 posts, read 2,290,409 times
Northern Peoria is remote in the sense that there isn't as many amenities there, but it's about the same distance from things as Surprise is. If you are looking for a small town feel that would probably suit you better than Surprise, which I am personally not a fan of. You get all the problems of "city" living there (or as close to it as Phoenix gets) such as traffic and that suburban cookie cutter feel, but are so far removed from most other cities. If I were going to move that far out, I would much rather live in northern Peoria.

You could also consider very north Phoenix, between the 101 and Anthem, as well. Everything north of the 101 is generally very nice and well priced. I think it is beautiful up there and am jealous you are able to locate further out thanks to your husband's job! Also, after having seen the traffic backing up a mile from the only exit into Anthem while everyone is trying to get home (likely not the case everyday but it was when I drove by last time!), I don't think I could ever live there. You won't have that problem in N Phoenix.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:26 PM

9 posts, read 16,789 times
Thank you fennec2009! That was all very helpful! I will look in north Phoenix, I didn't realize it was more spread out there but now that I look at is closely it seems there a many nice neighborhoods in that area. I think I will avoid Surprise now too.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
Scratch Fountain Hills off your list. Much too far to drive. Aside from the cost, with a young family, for one parent to spend that much time in the car going to and from work takes away from time spent with the family, and is tiring as well.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 AM

39,181 posts, read 51,531,918 times
Have you looked at Black Canyon City? It's north of Anthem and has a real town feel because it is a real town. It may be too much of a cross between retiree and redneck for you though. I think your best bet is Anthem. It gives a reasonable illusion of life in a medium size town. Also if you like Fountain Hills you may like a master planned community called Vistancia which is in Peoria and close to the 303 freeway. I think you could make it to DV airport in 30 minutes from there and it is would be a nice drive through undeveloped desert. Vistancia also has that small town illusion thing to it.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 02-09-2013 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 01:29 PM

681 posts, read 1,566,454 times
Not a small town feel, but Fireside at Norterra is very nice. It's probably a 10 minute drive to the Deer Valley Airport and they have a beautiful community centre/facilities.

We love our vacation home in the Stetson area (we are just west of I-17 close to Happy Valley Road) and I know that the schools are excellent in this area... we can walk to the library in 15 minutes and have a decent strip mall 2 blocks away with a Safeway.

Lot's of great communities within a half hour of the Deer Valley airport - but the small town feel thing might be hard to find in that proximity and with your budget.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM

17,916 posts, read 43,608,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Have you looked at Black Canyon City? It's north of Anthem and has a real town feel because it is a real town. It may be too much of a cross between retiree and redneck for you though. I think your best bet is Anthem. It gives a reasonable illusion of life in a medium size town. Also if you like Fountain Hills you may like a master planned community called Vistancia which is in Peoria and close to the 303 freeway. I think you could make it to DV airport in 30 minutes from there and it is would be a nice drive through undeveloped desert. Vistancia also has that small town illusion thing to it.
I share Ponderosa's thoughts about Black Canyon City, and would never suggest it to a family with kids. Agree that Anthem or planned communities like Vistancia make sense for you.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:01 AM

1,112 posts, read 4,014,262 times
I think Anthem would be a good option. It's removed a bit from the rest of the valley, but has most of what you need from day to day. The drive to Deer Valley airport would be pretty easy, as well.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:42 AM

6,146 posts, read 8,034,458 times
We moved to Anthem in June and we love it here. I think its a good bet for you. And I have never seen a 1 mile traffic backup at either of the exits for Anthem (there are two, not one). You can even completely avoid I-17 if you want to.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:55 PM

890 posts, read 2,290,409 times
Hmmm, perhaps there was an accident at the end of the off ramp then, didn't see any flashing lights to indicate that. It was the only time I have driven by the exit during rush hour. I stand corrected!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area