Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 11:39 AM

62 posts, read 160,729 times

Advertisements

Hello! There is a good possibility that I will be taking a job in Scottsdale sometime this spring. My sister lives in an apartment in Scottsdale and has said that the cost of buying is very high. I will be moving with my wife and 2 year old daughter. We would like to buy in a nice, family area, restaurants, shopping, newer housing, and I am hoping to have a commute to Scottsdale under 30 mins. Our price range is somewhere between $160-210k. I have done some research on the Mesa/Chandler/Gilbert areas but would like some advice. Is it possible to buy in Scottsdale in this price range? If not, any recommendations?

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 04:10 PM

47 posts, read 214,699 times
In 2006 I sold my old '50s cinder block 3bdrm, between 68th and Scottsdale Rd. North of Thomas, for $275k. If there's a worse neighborhood I don't know about it. Hopefully prices have come down a lot. Otherwise, well, I hope you speak Spanish OK and don't mind shopping at Food City.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Rider View Post
In 2006 I sold my old '50s cinder block 3bdrm, between 68th and Scottsdale Rd. North of Thomas, for $275k. If there's a worse neighborhood I don't know about it. Hopefully prices have come down a lot. Otherwise, well, I hope you speak Spanish OK and don't mind shopping at Food City.
I suspect prices in Scottsdale are down from '06, you may find something in your price range in a good, safe, but perhaps older neighborhood, not far north of where the above poster lived (and I'm not sure that his former area is as bad as he paints it, as his problem with it appears to be an ethnic issue. Newer housing in that price range may be trickier, although townhomes/condos in some nice areas have been discussed here recently.

You could go into northwest Mesa as well, Gilbert is outside your 30 minutes from Scottsdale, Chandler probably also, depending on where in Scottsdale you are talking about. You may also find something in Phoenix itself that would work. Where exactly is your job location? Scottsdale covers a WIDE area north to south, and a lot depends on where you are.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:51 PM

47 posts, read 214,699 times
Amazing how things get 'painted' by certain people. I just said it's the worst neighborhood in Scottsdale. THAT IS A FACT!!! And we all know prices have come down since 06. DUH! But the OP's price range is not likely Scottsdale, which was the question. And as for ethnic, well that would only be an issue if you don't fit in with the immigrants you would be living amongst in any area where single family housing is in the OP's range. Basicaly, very rough rental properties. I don't have 'an issue' with it which is why I lived there. But when my $75,000 cinder block rental house appraised at $275,000 I just figured there was no way it would ever get any higher, so I sold.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 AM

525 posts, read 539,651 times
I think first off it depends where in Scottsdale you will be working. If its North Scottsdale, you will be hard pressed to live in another city like Chandler and have a commute under 30 minutes. Tempe would probably be your best bet for commute, but there isn't alot if newer housing in Tempe as it is landlocked. The cost of living in Scottsdale is high and I would be surprised if you could find newer housing in that price range. You will find newer housing in Chandler, Mesa, Gilbert, Queen Creek, Goodyear, Laveen etc. but your commute will be a killer unless you are working in south Scottsdale. I personally love the Gilbert/Chandler areas for families however. Have you thought about buying a condo in Scottsdale? That might be your only option if you don't want a long commute.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:03 AM

Thanks for the info! I think the job will be more towards the north end of Scottsdale. I understand that the Gilbert and Chandler are fairly large areas themselves but what would the commute be (roughly) from those areas to north Scottsdale?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:19 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,250,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving from NE View Post
Thanks for the info! I think the job will be more towards the north end of Scottsdale. I understand that the Gilbert and Chandler are fairly large areas themselves but what would the commute be (roughly) from those areas to north Scottsdale?
It is far, as in 30 miles. Depending on traffic, it could take anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour. Here it is on Mapquest:

Driving Directions from 50 E Civic Center Dr Gilbert, Arizona to E Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd & N Scottsdale Rd Scottsdale, Arizona

Old 12-02-2009, 07:28 AM

Thank you for the info! I believe the job will be toward the north end of Scottsdale, which it looks like will make the commute time from Gilbert/Mesa/Chandler over 30 minutes. We would rather get more house for our buck and live in a nice, new area than be close in Scottsdale but have to settle for something. Of Gilbert/Mesa/Chandler, what area would you recommend? I haven't heard people talk about the actual "Phoenix" area, are there decent areas that would make the commute to north Scottsdale more managable?

Old 12-02-2009, 07:59 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,427,256 times
Mving from NE- I'm not sure why you started a second thread on the same subject.

But, to answer your Phoenix question while they are not necessarily new neighborhoods, there are quite nice ones, in northeast Phoenix, say from Shea north and 40th St east. Good schools, served by, I think, Paradise Valley School District.

Greg Rider, you didn't say worst neighborhood "in Scottsdale" you just said "if there's a worse neighborhood, I don't know about it". Putting aside whether it's the worst neighborhood in Scottsdale (it may or may not be) it is certainly not the "worst neighborhood" generally. And, I still find it interesting that the only detail you provide as to how it is so bad is the number of Hispanics.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:07 AM

I actually posted the same subject on the "Arizona" forum because I wasn't sure if I was posting in the correct place, sorry! It must have transferred over to the Phoenix area forum. Thanks for the information about PHX. I have actually never even been to Phoenix (or the area for that matter) but I'm sure we'll come down to visit before moving. What would the commute be from the northeast area of Phoenix to north Scottsdale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area