Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:44 AM

525 posts, read 539,438 times

Advertisements

I would say 45 minutes easy with traffic if you took the N101. I live in Mesa and used to work in central Scottsdale and it took me 25-30 minutes--sometimes longer. I think you would love living in Chandler or Gilbert, but if you have to be at work during peak rush hour times in North Scottsdale, you will absolutely hate that commute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moving from NE View Post
Thanks for the info! I think the job will be more towards the north end of Scottsdale. I understand that the Gilbert and Chandler are fairly large areas themselves but what would the commute be (roughly) from those areas to north Scottsdale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:22 AM

62 posts, read 160,699 times
Thank you! There is a chance that I will be able to choose my schedule. If I worked a 7:15-3:45 schedule would the commute be as bad from Gilbert/Chandler to north Scottsdale? How long does that drive take without heavy traffic? We currently live in San Antonio and for awhile I was working downtown. My commute was 40-50 minutes, so this would not be new to me but I would obviously rather not have such a long commute!

Old 12-02-2009, 09:51 AM

Mmmmmm..rush hour here is 6:00 am to 8:30 am and from 4 PM to about 6:30 PM. It would be better, but depending on how far North you work in Scottsdale and how far south you are in Chandler or Gilbert, without traffic, I still think its going to take you about 30 minutes at least. The shortest I was ever able to do the drive from Mesa to central Scottsdale without traffic and staying under the speed limit is 20 minutes.

Old 12-02-2009, 01:40 PM

Any recommendations on north Phoenix opposed to Gilbert/Chandler? Sounds like north Phoenix might be closer to north Scottsdale, but I'm not sure if the area (schools, shopping, safety) is as nice. Commute time to north Scottsdale from north Phoenix area?

Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
Parts of N Phoenix are as good or better than Gilbert, Chandler, etc. With your price range and criteria, I think N Phoenix is where you should be looking. The commute could be anywhere from 5-30 minutes depending on the specific locations, some parts are literally across the street from each other.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:52 PM

Sco- what exactly did you mean by, "in your price range and criteria, I think N Phoenix is where you should be looking"? Is N Phoenix more reasonable priced than Gilbert or Chandler or does that mean that we could afford a decent house in that area? Thanks for the help!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,464 times
You could afford a very nice house in N Phoenix that would be really close to N Scottsdale. There is really no reason for you to live as far away as Gilbert or Chandler, neither of which have anything special to offer over any other area. Phoenix and all of the suburbs have some nice areas, some not so nice areas and everything in between. I think that you will find that comparably priced homes in all areas will be very similar and located in the same type of neighborhoods.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:37 PM

Yeah, North Phoenix is a possibility--although I personally am not a fan of that area. You also might want to look at North Mesa which has some newer builds and can be affordable.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:47 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
stay E of 40th St if you go to N Phoenix - this area is really NE Phx.....and you'll find that you even have a Scottsdale mailing address if you go into the 85254 zip code, though it's legally Phoenix city limits....lots of housing options as it's a big area.....

Chandler is a decent place, lots of choices and a clean, suburban rep, but not worth the commute, I'd say....

Old 12-03-2009, 04:50 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Yeah, North Phoenix is a possibility--although I personally am not a fan of that area. You also might want to look at North Mesa which has some newer builds and can be affordable.
How are you defining "north Phoenix"? Just curious, as when terms like that get used they mean different things to different people, (it's a big area) so it's hard for those asking the question to evaluate what the opinion that goes with it means and compare it to what others are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area