Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:43 AM

105 posts, read 243,719 times

Advertisements

We have been living in Tampa for three years and for many reasons were considering a move, were English, and having lived in Canada for 8 years, then another 7 back in the UK, now in Tampa were not surprised we fancy a change!!! I have been doing some research and Phoenix, AZ ticks all our boxes but wondered about the practicality of moving, can someone tell me the or point me in the right direction so I can work out the cost of living between Tampa and say Scottsdale, AZ i.e. Property tax, income tax, car insurance, house insurance etc.???

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 12:41 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,652,381 times
Hi Wildmark,

I moved from the east valley of Phoenix to Tampa 2 years ago and we are moving back to the east valley shortly. First let me say that Phoenix blows Tampa away on numerous aspects, IMO. It's practically a 'no contest.' I expect it will be a pleasant change for you and your family. FL and AZ both have their pro's and con's - but IMO, Phoenix's pro's outweigh it's con's compared to Tampa. Although both states have less than impressive schooling systems, they almost run shoulder to shoulder, AZ, however, is the lesser evil of the two.

You will pay slightly less for home and auto insurance in AZ - but you will pay more for your AZ license plate tag/renewal. I pay much more on auto insurance in FL than I did when I lived in Phoenix [and Vegas, which is pretty high]. Property tax will most likely be more depending where you end up -but that's just Maricopa County for ya.

Groceries are slightly less expensive in Phoenix than Tampa. Tampa, as you know, does not have umpteen options to select from as it is more or less dominated by Publix. Phoenix offers more options.

Cox in Phoenix is slightly less expensive than Brighthouse here in Tampa. Water is more expensive in AZ. Electric costs are slightly higher in Tampa. Gasoline is mostly either the same or more expensive in AZ, but nothing to cringe at - generally only by a couple of cents, however, you do burn more gas out there. Maintenance/upkeep on your vehicle is more expensive in AZ. . .your car tires will wear/melt more quickly than they will in FL due to the more extreme heat and you have a greater chance of the cells in your auto's battery blowing and being sucked dry. That sort of stuff. May or may not happen, but the risk is increased depending how much you drive, good to keep in mind to eliminate any surprises. Just know the sun/heat in AZ will be much tougher on your auto than here in FL.

You will see a general slight difference, but nothing that will bang up your wallet.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:52 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Hi Wildmark,

I moved from the east valley of Phoenix to Tampa 2 years ago and we are moving back to the east valley shortly. First let me say that Phoenix blows Tampa away on numerous aspects, IMO. It's practically a 'no contest.' I expect it will be a pleasant change for you and your family. FL and AZ both have their pro's and con's - but IMO, Phoenix's pro's outweigh it's con's compared to Tampa. Although both states have less than impressive schooling systems, they almost run shoulder to shoulder, AZ, however, is the lesser evil of the two.

You will pay slightly less for home and auto insurance in AZ - but you will pay more for your AZ license plate tag/renewal. I pay much more on auto insurance in FL than I did when I lived in Phoenix [and Vegas, which is pretty high]. Property tax will most likely be more depending where you end up -but that's just Maricopa County for ya.

Groceries are slightly less expensive in Phoenix than Tampa. Tampa, as you know, does not have umpteen options to select from as it is more or less dominated by Publix. Phoenix offers more options.

Cox in Phoenix is slightly less expensive than Brighthouse here in Tampa. Water is more expensive in AZ. Electric costs are slightly higher in Tampa. Gasoline is mostly either the same or more expensive in AZ, but nothing to cringe at - generally only by a couple of cents, however, you do burn more gas out there. Maintenance/upkeep on your vehicle is more expensive in AZ. . .your car tires will wear/melt more quickly than they will in FL due to the more extreme heat and you have a greater chance of the cells in your auto's battery blowing and being sucked dry. That sort of stuff. May or may not happen, but the risk is increased depending how much you drive, good to keep in mind to eliminate any surprises. Just know the sun/heat in AZ will be much tougher on your auto than here in FL.

You will see a general slight difference, but nothing that will bang up your wallet.
Im interested in knowing how Phx beats Tampa hands down?

Is it mostly a weather related comment or what?

Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Im interested in knowing how Phx beats Tampa hands down?

Is it mostly a weather related comment or what?
Create the thread and I will join in on it and state why. I'm not going to hijack the OP's thread by going off-topic and creating a battleground. If I wanted to list the ways that I felt it blows away Tampa, I would have certainly done so to begin with. Wrong place to do so - the OP is interested in the financial aspect. Create a thread wanting to know opinions on the differences - I have no qualms about speaking my mind and sharing my thoughts about it.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:18 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,665,246 times
Quote:
Create the thread and I will join in on it and state why. I'm not going to hijack the OP's thread by going off-topic and creating a battleground. If I wanted to list the ways that I felt it blows away Tampa, I would have certainly done so to begin with. Wrong place to do so. Create a thread wanting to know opinions on the differences - I have no qualms about speaking my mind and sharing my thoughts about it.
haha, its ok I wasnt going to start a battleground. If you feel Phx blows away Tampa, I think the OP might be interested in hearing from someone who knows both places why exactly that it is.

I would not jump in and attack anything... Its only your opinion and you are entitled to that.

I have never lived in Tampa but am curious about how it compares from someone who knows both places beyond grocery stores and daily expenses.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:51 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times
if you search 'Cost of Living Comparison' on Google, a site will come up that you can use...it's great...I would post it here, but don't know how to convert it to the allowable kind of link.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
haha, its ok I wasnt going to start a battleground. If you feel Phx blows away Tampa, I think the OP might be interested in hearing from someone who knows both places why exactly that it is.

I would not jump in and attack anything... Its only your opinion and you are entitled to that.

I have never lived in Tampa but am curious about how it compares from someone who knows both places beyond grocery stores and daily expenses.
Ah, gotcha. I see what you mean now. My apologies, I thought I was being poked at by a Tampa Protector. I could honestly ramble down a list, I am pretty sure that soon in a thread, when in the mood, I will be belting out the major differences when I stumble upon the opportunity.

Old 11-28-2009, 02:22 PM

105 posts, read 243,719 times
Quote:
Hi Wildmark,

Thanks Jeepgirl

Appreciate the advise, not to bothered about the schooling system, we have three boys, one is at college in Fort Lauderdale, the other goes to college next year so we will hopefully have him close to us in AZ if thats what we end up doing and the third will have one more year at HS b ut we'll more than likley go private for that.

Good to here that housing costs are slightly lower, what about property tax, we get hammered here, although its just com e down due to our home being worth much less than we paid for it three years ago

Old 11-28-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmark View Post
Thanks Jeepgirl

Appreciate the advise, not to bothered about the schooling system, we have three boys, one is at college in Fort Lauderdale, the other goes to college next year so we will hopefully have him close to us in AZ if thats what we end up doing and the third will have one more year at HS b ut we'll more than likley go private for that.

Good to here that housing costs are slightly lower, what about property tax, we get hammered here, although its just com e down due to our home being worth much less than we paid for it three years ago
My ex husband used to deal with the property taxes and so forth, I didn't. My best I can do on this is by digging the below up for you. I know many here can answer the question about property taxes muuuuch better than I can. When I came to FL, I didn't buy not knowing if I'd like it here or not.

Arizona Property Tax - Compute Arizona Real Estate Tax - Phoenix Property Taxes

How high are Florida property taxes? — Arizona Real Estate Notebook

Arizona Property Tax

Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 PM

430 posts, read 1,410,108 times
Default example of how most natives will feel in a new place

Quote:
Hi Wildmark,

Cox in Phoenix is slightly less expensive than Brighthouse here in Tampa. Water is more expensive in AZ. Electric costs are slightly higher in Tampa. Gasoline is mostly either the same or more expensive in AZ, but nothing to cringe at - generally only by a couple of cents, however, you do burn more gas out there. Maintenance/upkeep on your vehicle is more expensive in AZ. . .your car tires will wear/melt more quickly than they will in FL due to the more extreme heat and you have a greater chance of the cells in your auto's battery blowing and being sucked dry. That sort of stuff. May or may not happen, but the risk is increased depending how much drive, good to keep in mind to eliminate any surprises. Just know the sun/heat in AZ will be much tougher on your auto than here in FL.

Are you a phoenix native? if so, then its typical to think there is no place like home as obviously you do. You left, you regret it, so your moving back, same thing happens to a lot of folks here that come on here to say how much better they think where they moved from is compared to Phoenix, only they get called a Troll for having negative views of Phoenix. See this works both ways people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area