Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:59 PM

6 posts, read 22,998 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm moving from Philadelphia to Phoenix in January for my job, and I'll be located right between Avondale and Goodyear (judging by google maps). I'd like to know where would be the best place to live considering a few options:

- I don't want a REALLY long commute (i.e. North Scottsdale). I can handle 30 minutes with traffic, but once it gets over 45 minutes I start to hate life.

- I'm young (24), single, and want to meet other young singles. Hopefully I'll meet a lot of people at work, but still I'd like to be in an area where I can find a lot of these type. It seems like Tempe and Scottsdale will be too far for me to commute every day, and I've heard this is where most of the young people are.

- Needs to be a relatively safe area. Being from Philly, I can deal with bad parts of a city. But I'd like to live in a nice community, gated preferably. Cost isn't too much of an issue; I'd have a roommate (another guy I know that works out there), and we both make decent money.

- I may only be in Phoenix for 6 months, when my job officially ends. I will have the chance to stay out there working a different job for the same company, and the chance to go back to Philly. So I want to make the most out of the experience when I'm out there in case I decide to go back. I'd like to be around some sort of attractions, nightlife, events, etc. It seems like a lot of Goodyear and Avondale is suburban (correct me if I'm wrong).

That's all I can think of for now. I'm incredibly excited to move out to Phoenix (lived in Philly my entire life, need something new and different...), and want to make sure I get the most out of my experience.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:35 PM

78 posts, read 285,440 times
I used to live in Avondale area last year, and being in mid 20's, I hated that place ( my personal preference)

Reason could be many
I had just shifted from East coast (Philly area) , and used to with changes in weather week around (Phoenix weather is just same sunny all the time, it takes time to get used to it).
Plus 30 mins commute to work here is really 30 mins, it cannot be 24 mins one day. Also, as we are used to speeding cars, photo enforcement zones on freeways, can be disappointing.

Another thing I noticed about Goodyear and Avondale, cops are on the prowl to just catch you, even on a tiny mistake (they are hiding everywhere).
There had been instances, cops following us all the way from a bar to home, when i was driving (I dont drink)

I moved to Tempe, after few months, and loved it here. All kinds of people here and having some nitelife.

You wont find the downtown like Philly here except Scottsdale.

One more warning, I used to use I-10 (in avondale and goodyear) commute to work, it is under construction, lane widening (slow speed) and it is not going to end soon, so try to avoid that commute to or from work using that freeway

Old 11-03-2009, 02:38 PM

549 posts, read 1,558,883 times
Litchfield Park is pretty and nearby, but the problem is that it's kind of a married community, as are nearby Avondale and Goodyear, which as you said, are rather suburbian. I'd consider the condos near Westgate at the Cardinals stadium if you want to be close. That's nearby and attracts a young crowd. But failing that, somewhere around downtown Phoenix, where you can hop on I-10 to get to Avondale easily. Downtown's becoming more lively all the time, especially along the light rail tracks on Central north of downtown. That's probably where I would look. The furthest east I'd go is the Biltmore area (24th and Camelback) - also a young area, a bit remote from Avondale, but still doable.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:41 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,562 times
For a Temporary stay you have apartments on Van Buren South side close to the old Bobby Unser dealership between Dysart and Litchfield roads. There is also Park Shadows which is older and is now gated. It has been cleaned up over the years as it used to have a bad reputation.
Other wise head west a bit and there are some places over off of Jackrabbit and I-10.
Do not let I-10 construction get you discouraged, you have Buckeye Rd or others like Van Buren to get around the mess. I like Litchfield Park but it is pricey, but very nice in the evenings you can walk, run or bicycle on the inner roads. I won't bring up Cashion or Ligas as they won't fill the bill. Goodyear/ Avondale used to be a small rural area surrounded by farm fields we had 1 fire station in Goodyear and it was volunteer the same in Avondale. Things have exploded over the past 8 years and now there is really no need to leave the area for anything except to get away from all of the congestion.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:44 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
If you are into the bar scene, you'd prob like the Westgate area as someone mentioned. You can live right above the commercial area in really foo-foo yuppy lofts/condos. If I were in my 20s and had to work in Avondale/GY, that's where I'd live! I really wouldn't go anymore east than that but that's just my opinion. If you are choosing between GY and Avondale, I'd choose GY and as a general rule I'd stay north of I-10 (although some will differ in opinion). Litchfield Park is also a good bet. Regardless though, GY, Litchfield and Avondale are all suburbia-like.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
If you are into the bar scene, you'd prob like the Westgate area as someone mentioned. You can live right above the commercial area in really foo-foo yuppy lofts/condos. If I were in my 20s and had to work in Avondale/GY, that's where I'd live! I really wouldn't go anymore east than that but that's just my opinion. If you are choosing between GY and Avondale, I'd choose GY and as a general rule I'd stay north of I-10 (although some will differ in opinion). Litchfield Park is also a good bet. Regardless though, GY, Litchfield and Avondale are all suburbia-like.
Agreed. You (OP) are too old for Tempe and too young for Scottsdale. . The part about south of I-10 in Goodyear is not something I would agree with. There is a huge new apartment complex on Estrella just south of the freeway that looks pretty darn nice to me.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
Lol Ponderosa, I had a feeling you'd be the one disagreeing. Honestly, I think the area I'm referring to (south of I-10) is probably more on the Avondale side than the GY side. There's just that few mile radius that always looks sooo shady!

Old 11-03-2009, 08:42 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,273,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Agreed. You (OP) are too old for Tempe and too young for Scottsdale. . The part about south of I-10 in Goodyear is not something I would agree with. There is a huge new apartment complex on Estrella just south of the freeway that looks pretty darn nice to me.

24 is too old for Tempe? Gotta disagree, isn't the average age around there 27?

Sure, there's 18-22 year olds having keggers and undie runs, but there's graduate students, older traditional students, and a pretty vibrant night life for those 21 and over. Rula Bula, Four Peaks, Depot Cantina and Tavern on Mill are perfect laid back places for someone in their mid 20's.

Sounds like the OP wants a little fun and night life, and the West Valley is lame for this, unless it's one of the 10 days/year the Cardinals have a home game. and even then it's still lame, because it's overrun by a bunch of 300 pound 40 year old's with their faces painted.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:48 AM

6 posts, read 22,998 times
I wouldn't mind feeling like I'm back in college . Can anyone give me more info on Westgate? Is that centered at Glendale Ave. and 101?

Biltmore is too far for me I think. Are there any good spots in downtown Phoenix that I should look at?

Also, I know I don't want to live west of Avondale ...

Old 11-04-2009, 09:53 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,500,550 times
I think Glendale might offer some of what the op is looking for. Old town and Westgate seem a little more lively for singles than Avondale or Goodyear. Otherwise there's just not a whole lot of the single scene in the west valley.

But just me imho, north Avondale suits me just fine. It's very suburban but draws a mixed bag of all age groups, married or single.

My neighborhood in particular has lots of shade trees and grassy areas if you're more into that. I know it can be a shock coming from Philadelphia and not having too much greenery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area