Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 06:57 AM

54 posts, read 111,604 times

Advertisements

Each time I go to rent dot com or apartmentratings dot com I get more and more confused. I find a nice place with all the amenities I want and then I read bad reviews about it (crime, roaches etc). Does anybody currently live in this area and can recommend a nice place to live at? I was thinking the Camellero, but I read that there is a lot of crime there?

Please help! too many options!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 07:07 AM

2,897 posts, read 10,427,345 times
I don't always trust Apartment Ratings, you'll always find bad reviews before you find any good ones, so the percentages can be tricky. I am not familiar with those apartments, but they are in a great area, close to Old Town Scottsdale.

I work in the area, I will drive by it on my way home this morning in about a hour when I get off work and let you know if I see anything wrong with them.

I moved into my apartments which have a 30% rating, but I love the place, no issues after 6 month besides the landlord allowing larger breeds now.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:28 AM

Thanks for the help. Which apts do you live in?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:40 PM

2,390 posts, read 2,725,147 times
Also keep in mind that some of this is relative. It surprises me that some people worry about the crime rate in totally safe neighborhoods. If the Camellero is where I think it is, I consider that neighborhood extremely safe. Maybe you can call the city and get comparative crime statistics for different zip codes? As for roaches, the trick is just to find yoruself a good exterminator.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:04 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,213,425 times
I agree-do not always believe the apartment review sites. Mainly because the most vocal will always be folks who want to complain. ;-) And of course you only get half the story. "This complex was horrible" could translate to "Oh I was only 2 months late on my rent, damaged the pool and have a dog that keeps the neighbors up all night".

Visiting is your best way of judging a community. And if possible, try to visit a few times. Ie who do you see out during the day? During the evening? What kind of vehicles are in the parking lot? Are the grounds generally clean and graffiti-free?

If these are the apartments at 7979 Camelback, I have not visited them, but I work nearby (6900 Camelback). This puts you in close proximity to Old Town Scottsdale, the waterfront and Scottsdale Fashion Square. If I ever decided to buy a condo, I would either buy in Kierland (near where I live now) or in the area you are looking at Optima Camelview which is right behind Fashion Square-gorgeous. I am a single female in my early 40s and would be comfortable living there. (Tho I do have a bodybuilder 21 year old son lol!)

I live in NE Phoenix about 10 miles north of where you are looking. Where will you be working? Or will you be going to school?

Old 09-07-2009, 03:59 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,427,345 times
I drove by the place, it looks very nice, and I think those reviews are bunk. Go check the place out before moving obviously.

Old 09-08-2009, 07:30 AM

Thanks again everybody. I will be working from home...so I can live anywhere that I would like to. There are so many different areas, but I have narrowed down my list to about 10 different rental properties in Tempe/Scottsdale

Old 09-29-2009, 06:33 PM

4 posts, read 9,755 times
I live in the Alta Ravenwood complex in Tempe and I love it. The townhomes are lovely and the staff are fantastic.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:09 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,468,988 times
I think that area of east Camelback would be just fine. I lived very near there years ago, the area has always been nice. I wouldn't put much stock in anonymous internet apartment reviews on those rental sites... it's a great place for someone with an axe to grind to spread all sorts of trash.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:15 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,709,901 times
Karma is right about apartmentrating. You have to be able to filter through the garbage. I use apartment rating and police reports as the tool on which i choose my place. Another thing to watch out for are places that are not willing to show you the inside of a normal apartment. If they say no, they are hiding something and you should move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area