Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:18 PM

121 posts, read 546,854 times

Advertisements

For one, the older ranch homes have larger yards. I don't understand how people can live RIGHT on top of each other. Plus, I see no character in these new homes. Cheaply built and pretty much all look the same.

I have a rather large travel trailer and would like to keep it on my property rather than pay for storage.

My father built custom homes and I grew up in new homes so I know they can be nice. But you can remodel. Also, I'm thinking that if ranch homes in established areas get as much as new construction in such an "up and coming" area, then they must be worth something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 06:39 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,966,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre5140 View Post
For one, the older ranch homes have larger yards. I don't understand how people can live RIGHT on top of each other. Plus, I see no character in these new homes. Cheaply built and pretty much all look the same.

I have a rather large travel trailer and would like to keep it on my property rather than pay for storage.

My father built custom homes and I grew up in new homes so I know they can be nice. But you can remodel. Also, I'm thinking that if ranch homes in established areas get as much as new construction in such an "up and coming" area, then they must be worth something.

Check out Marlborough Mesa it's actually located in Chandler. It's on Alma School and Pecos. Pecos is between Elliot and Ray. I'm not talking about the Pecos road S of Chandler this is a side street. I like the style of these older homes, they were built in the early 80's all brick, double entry doors. I think the neighborhood is pretty much holding up. Most of them are ranch style few 2 stories in there but those are very nice too. I almost bought one back in 1990. They have an identical subdivision in Glendale and that's another nice neighborhood. Should fit your price range. The sqft goes anywhere from 1400 up to about 2000.

Anyone on a bigger budget check out Corona off of Warner and McClintock nice homes, established neighood very custom looking. They shouldn't break the bank.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:08 PM

Oh thanks for that, Sheena!

I must admit, I don't know a whole lot about Mesa. I have been to a few neighborhoods is eastern Mesa that is very nice. Seem to be for snowbirds and retirees though. Actually, that would be okay b/c they take care of their properties. The problem is, not being totally familiar with the area, it's hard to specify that neighborhood when doing real estate searches online.

I saw some shady areas of Mesa, too. How do you think property values will hold there?

Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Oh thanks for that, Sheena!

I must admit, I don't know a whole lot about Mesa. I have been to a few neighborhoods is eastern Mesa that is very nice. Seem to be for snowbirds and retirees though. Actually, that would be okay b/c they take care of their properties. The problem is, not being totally familiar with the area, it's hard to specify that neighborhood when doing real estate searches online.

I saw some shady areas of Mesa, too. How do you think property values will hold there?
The place I directed you to is considered Chandler and is in a very well respected school district. I have known a lot of families that have been in that neighborhood for years and have no desire to move. Their are some renters you'll come across like everywhere else but keep in mind those places do not have an Hoa. Some people prefer an Hoa and some don't. A friend of mine lives in that neighborhood and if she see's some junk or someone littering up the neighborhood she'll call the city and they will come and fine the person. I think the values will hold up. They really are nice elegant little homes with their own personality. I am partial to brick homes and I like the look of a long walkway with double doors. Inside they have nice entry halls that step down to vaulted livingrooms with huge glass silders that look out to the backyard. Most have brick woodburing fireplaces.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM

Yeah, I see them now. They're beautiful! Pretty much just what I had in mind. The prices seem a bit low, though. Is this a run down area in parts? Is this the Dobson or Kyrene School District?

Old 04-24-2007, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I see them now. They're beautiful! Pretty much just what I had in mind. The prices seem a bit low, though. Is this a run down area in parts? Is this the Dobson or Kyrene School District?
You have your parts here and there but for the most part it's maintained pretty well. The people in these particular neighborhoods are lifers. It's pretty weird. I'm sure you will see your renters like everywhere else. I guess you will have to just drive the area and get a good feel of it. I know they have a Chandler address but I don't think the Kyrene school district stretches past McClintock. I think it is Chandler Unified. My guess is the HS is Chandler High. I'm not certain.

Did you see a listing for Marlborough Mesa? I didn't ,but I see MLS#2715057. It doesn't say what subdivision it is. It's showing Dobson High but I'm not sure if that's the place but it looks similar to what I'm talking about. I don't see a lot of turn over in these houses and when they do go up for sale they tend to move pretty fast.

Last edited by sheena; 04-24-2007 at 11:12 PM..

Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I used to sell Real Estate back in the day and I was all over looking for the goodies.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 AM

Well thanks again for your help. I see it is an area that borders Mesa and some homes are actually in Mesa 85202.

Pecos Street is actually a bit closer to Guadalupe than Elliott. I happened to find it on a map.

Chandler 85226 is most appealing, too.

Since you used to be an agent, do you have any thoughts on Scottsdale (85257, 85251)?

Old 04-25-2007, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Well thanks again for your help. I see it is an area that borders Mesa and some homes are actually in Mesa 85202.

Pecos Street is actually a bit closer to Guadalupe than Elliott. I happened to find it on a map.

Chandler 85226 is most appealing, too.

Since you used to be an agent, do you have any thoughts on Scottsdale (85257, 85251)?

Do you have a cross streets you can give me?

Old 08-04-2007, 04:21 AM

20 posts, read 65,233 times
definitely chandler (right on the border of tempe if you can), more bang for your buck on square footage, taxes, HOA fees.

tempe -- higher taxes, less square footage, higher HOA costs
gilbert -- boring, not near anything exciting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area