Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2007, 12:07 PM

162 posts, read 849,312 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a relocation to AZ and was told Apache Junction is a nice area - what do you think in terms of housing, services such as transportation, etc. I don't need to know about the school as we have no children. Is it out in the country or a more built up suburban area? Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 12:14 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
Unfortunately, AJ has had a bad reputation. They recently even thought about changing the name of the place to spruce up the rep. It's very far out there if you need to commute. What are you looking for in particular? A rural country setting or a suburban lifestyle? When are you planning on coming out to take a look?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:47 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Very little if any industry and job opportunity in A.J. area, it’s mostly a retirement area or where a large number of snowbirds come to visit in the winter months and return to their homes when spring comes.

I would not think about raising a family there or trying to find work in the area.

Also another item about A.J. area is that it is mostly made up of factory built modular homes or trailers.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:21 PM

164 posts, read 845,352 times
[quote=AksarbeN;611804]Very little if any industry and job opportunity in A.J. area, it’s mostly a retirement area or where a large number of snowbirds come to visit in the winter months and return to their homes when spring comes.

I would not think about raising a family there or trying to find work in the area.

Also another item about A.J. area is that it is mostly made up of factory built modular homes or trailers.[/Q Actually the modular homes are very nice, just built in a factory and are very up and coming, prices are cheaper so more and more people are buying them. i viewed several ans some were better than site built homes.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:26 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,648,581 times
Before you do anything - go find the person who suggested Apache Junction to you and beat them over the head for not being a good friend.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Kid: Where do you live, Santa?
Bad Santa: The suburbs.
Kid: Oh, really, which one??
Bad Santa: I don't know.... Apache Junction.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:26 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
[quote=june;613334]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Very little if any industry and job opportunity in A.J. area, it’s mostly a retirement area or where a large number of snowbirds come to visit in the winter months and return to their homes when spring comes.

Also another item about A.J. area is that it is mostly made up of factory built modular homes or trailers.[/Q Actually the modular homes are very nice, just built in a factory and are very up and coming, prices are cheaper so more and more people are buying them. i viewed several ans some were better than site built homes.
Have you actually SEEN them in AJ? They are not all nice and new.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:15 AM

19 posts, read 74,590 times
True, AJ does have snowbirds, not many jobs and yes, quite a few manufactured homes and some junky trailers. We also have beautiful scenery, quiet, not as much of a fast paced life as the rest of the Valley, gorgeous black starry nights, big horse community, many custom homes on acreage, a small town feeling still. 20 minutes to the lake and 10 minutes to fantastic hiking areas. If you move to the Valley looking for life in a cookie cutter subdivision with your neighbors 5 feet away and block walls surrounding it all, probably not the place for you, although we do have some of those as well. AJ has changed alot in the last 15 years, why we even have a Starbucks! LOL But keep the negative comments coming, as I would hate to see it turn into what 80% of the rest of the Valley is.

Old 04-23-2007, 01:08 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ablex21 View Post
True, AJ does have snowbirds, not many jobs and yes, quite a few manufactured homes and some junky trailers. We also have beautiful scenery, quiet, not as much of a fast paced life as the rest of the Valley, gorgeous black starry nights, big horse community, many custom homes on acreage, a small town feeling still. 20 minutes to the lake and 10 minutes to fantastic hiking areas. If you move to the Valley looking for life in a cookie cutter subdivision with your neighbors 5 feet away and block walls surrounding it all, probably not the place for you, although we do have some of those as well. AJ has changed alot in the last 15 years, why we even have a Starbucks! LOL But keep the negative comments coming, as I would hate to see it turn into what 80% of the rest of the Valley is.
Thank you! Yes, there was talk of changing the name, by one goofy old guy named Peck who doesn't live there. AJ has it's own character and fortunately it isn't for most people. If people thinks it's still all run down old trailers, good. Nothing but a bunch of unedgukated hicks. Know what you call someone in AJ with a full set of teeth? A tourist! I worked the area for 21 years and you're right, it's terrible...stay away! It's overgrown enough already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area