Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM

461 posts, read 1,810,866 times

Advertisements

At the beginning of the year, I'll be moving from a suburb of Detroit, MI to AZ. I really like the Queen Creek area . . . great mountain views! Anyway, I know all about the rattlers, scorpions, javelina, black widows, coyote, etc. that live in AZ, but what concerns me about this area is the fact that because it is so new and is being so dug up, aren't all these critters being displaced without knowing where to go? In other words, can I expect to have more of them around my house just because of all the digging and building? If that is true, does there ever come a time when the critters realiza they need to find new "stomping grounds" to live in and stay away from the residential areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,221,693 times
My girlfriend and I were looking at new builds in the queen creek area.

The market seems to be dipping right now.

I have friends who just bought a house there, the only problem is they both work in downtown phoenix.

They get up mighty early to make the commute, and driving 2-3 hours roundtrip every work day might wear on you.

I think the area is rapidly growing, once more freeways are built to ease the congestion, that will increase the lure of queen creek.

On the other hand, would that really increase the lure of queen creek? Maybe people like nature just how it is without all that stuff.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:24 PM

551 posts, read 2,727,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
At the beginning of the year, I'll be moving from a suburb of Detroit, MI to AZ. I really like the Queen Creek area . . . great mountain views! Anyway, I know all about the rattlers, scorpions, javelina, black widows, coyote, etc. that live in AZ, but what concerns me about this area is the fact that because it is so new and is being so dug up, aren't all these critters being displaced without knowing where to go? In other words, can I expect to have more of them around my house just because of all the digging and building? If that is true, does there ever come a time when the critters realiza they need to find new "stomping grounds" to live in and stay away from the residential areas?
If you will be buying (building) a new house, you can ask about "sealing" you house -- which can drastically reduce the chances that creatures will get in. Combine that with a very good pest exterminator company, and you should be pretty well covered. Also, try not to put in Palm trees -- as these tend to attract scorpions.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:32 AM

JustinH - I'm used to the driver. I live in the 'burbs and drive over an hour each way now, and I plan to work in Scottsdale, which seems to be a lot closer to Queen Creek then Phoenix.

Master Shake - Didn't know you could "seal" a house against critters. I'll DEFINITELY be doing that.

Thank you both for your replies . . . any comments/suggestions regarding rattlers?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,284,064 times
If you plan to drive from Queen Creek to Scottsdale...you had better plan on much longer than an hour's drive unless your workplace is on the Scottsdale/Tempe border. That commute is about as bad as I've heard anyone taking on in Phoenix, to be honest!

On the critter front, you'll definitely see some things be more prevalent in new construction areas as the earth is getting turned over and nests are being disrupted, etc. A lot depends on whether your lot was on a scorpion nest or not, too. We had neighbors in Scottsdale who constantly battled scorpions; whereas we never had any. Just make sure you get a good exterminating company and spray monthly.

Rattlers are just a fact of live in many parts of Phoenix. Our neighborhood, which was backed to open desert, had rattlers even 7 years after the new construction ended. So if you're backed or near any open spaces, don't be surprised if you see them indefinitely. If you have a dog, I'd suggest putting them through the rattlesnake training.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM

gigi927 - Thanks for the info. "Rattlesnake training"? Is that a real thing? If it is, where does one take their dog for it? Is there training for humans? I could use some . . . nothing scares me more than snakes . . . especially rattlers!

Old 04-10-2007, 02:14 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,284,064 times
Yes, it's a real thing! if you google "rattlesnake avoidance training phoenix" you will get some sites in AZ that do this type of work for dogs. It involves a small amount of shock training using a collar. There's a place in New River that does it but that would be practically a day trip for you from Queen Creek. I am sure there are others in the metro area - there was a facility in Cave Creek, but it was the subject of some controversy regarding some animals dying on the premises a few years back and I am not sure if they are still open or not.

Good luck!

Old 04-21-2007, 03:28 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,491,344 times
Could some kind souls provide the low down on all of the Town of Queen Creek as well as Queen Creek unincorporated housing developments? Which are the best and which are the worst?

Old 04-21-2007, 09:09 PM

647 posts, read 3,342,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
Could some kind souls provide the low down on all of the Town of Queen Creek as well as Queen Creek unincorporated housing developments? Which are the best and which are the worst?
I don't know too much about Queen Creek, aside from driving around it every once in a while - hopefully someone else can answer your specific questions.

There's really not too much there right now and it'll probably be a while before commercial catches up to residential - it's REALLY a bedroom community right now.

I don't hear good things about the school system. It's overcrowded and understaffed - a problem in many areas, but very bad in QC.

Resale is terrible there b/c there's SO much residential construction and little commercial so, other then cheap houses, there's not much draw for people. The commute would be terrible to Phoenix - I'd factor in more then an hour, for sure. However, if you work out of your home and commutes aren't a factor, and you don't mind driving for shopping and restaurants, and you don't plan on selling your house for 10+ yrs, it may be a good move for you....houses are definitely cheap there. However, I would not buy a house there if I thought I'd have to sell it any time soon.

Old 04-22-2007, 03:23 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,491,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I don't know too much about Queen Creek, aside from driving around it every once in a while - hopefully someone else can answer your specific questions.

I don't hear good things about the school system. It's overcrowded and understaffed - a problem in many areas, but very bad in QC.

Resale is terrible there b/c there's SO much residential construction and little commercial so, other then cheap houses, there's not much draw for people. The commute would be terrible to Phoenix - I'd factor in more then an hour, for sure. However, if you work out of your home and commutes aren't a factor, and you don't mind driving for shopping and restaurants, and you don't plan on selling your house for 10+ yrs, it may be a good move for you....houses are definitely cheap there. However, I would not buy a house there if I thought I'd have to sell it any time soon.
Thanks for the reply I should have mentioned a few factors for my family as well.

Schools won't be a concern. My son is 17, but in the UK they graduate from school at 16. He'll most likely want to find a job first and then go on to either MCC or another local college or use his current college training to coach sports.

My husband and I are going to limit our employment to the Mesa, Gilbert and Chandler areas until he is ready to set up office at home or in a business office. He is a certified counsellor, hypnotherapy facilitator, regressionist and a Cisco certified networker. I am a historical researcher, but until I can build a client list in AZ I'll be looking for employment in office management. Okay, so it doesn't have to be office management. I'll be so glad to be back in the USA that I would be happy to work at just about anything until I find the right job

Inexpensive housing will suit me for now and since I like to drive and enjoy living in a more isolated area we'll probably settle long-term in Queen Creek. We want to rent for the first year or two, so leasing a house with the option to buy suits us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area