Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 12:34 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,456,071 times

Advertisements

Well, to be fair, I did defend the Bay Area against a very vocal critic of it on their forum. I look like a lightweight compared to what this person had to say. I found it amusing.

I agree with the sinkhole effect and would like to hear more about that.

Admittedly, I was stupid not to sell in 2005. But who knew that was the top of the market? Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. But I was smart to get out while the Dow was at 11,300. Oh well.

It is not that I find this place endurable. I am too cheap to sell at a loss. What was it Bush said? Money trumps peace (or in my case, peace of mind). And there are other reasons but I won't get into them here.

So, no, I am not just some blathering idiot whose opinion isn't founded in reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Oh please, all the haters claim their reason for being here is financial but then they are still here years later. I bet you will still be here a year from now bashing Phoenix and claiming the same excuse. That's okay, we still love you and accept you as a part of the community; we know you don't want to leave. Some people just enjoy venting but don't mean it
lol. yay hugs all around.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
lol. yay hugs all around.
Ok, I can be nice and have a group hug too

One thing I would like to add that has made me less happy is that the ONE liberal talk radio show in this town went off the air. My solution? Stream my shows out of Oakland. Yeah, that would be in the Bay Area.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,312,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Admittedly, I was stupid not to sell in 2005. But who knew that was the top of the market? Hindsight is ALWAYS 20/20. But I was smart to get out while the Dow was at 11,300. Oh well.
When the value of your home started to fall in 2006 yet was still more than what you paid for it, that should have been enough of a clue. You had a chance to sell in 2006 too but decided to stay. In other words you didn't hate Phoenix enough to leave when you could have. Someone who genuinely hates Phoenix as much you state, would have sold in 2005 or 2006 for that matter. Actions speak louder than words. I don't think you are stupid; I just think you are being less than sincere with your professed hatred of this place. I think you are annoyed with Phoenix but not to the point that you are willing to leave.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:54 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
the comment on april weather, last year was the exact opposite of this year so far. Last year was wet, windy and hot. I thought i remember last time this year it was hot by now.
No, actually last spring was pretty close to normal in terms of temperature. It didn't hit 90 degrees until mid April, and the first 100 degree temp didn't arrive until May 18th. It was the year before (2007) that was excessively hot: mid to upper 90s during much of March & April, and that summer set a record for the most days of 110 degrees or more.

Quote:
This new wind in Phoenix is strange. I ask people that have been here for a while and they say this is new. It's windy every day now.
I thought wind was wind. The "old wind" simply blew. What does the "new wind" do: SUCK???
()

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
SF loses pitifully in the 'strip mall' department! Along with unbearably hot weather! Along with culture! Along with character! Along with chain restaurants! Along with sprawl! Along with history! Along with NOT having an un-educated workforce!

Your right, SF does lose "pitifully against Phoenix"! I stand corrected!....
San Francisco is old and unique ... very different than most large cities in the western U.S. It reminds me somewhat of New York City on a smaller scale. Very dense, hardly any sprawl within the city limits, transit readily available, fine dining, very few cookie cutter subdivisions or strip malls. Most cities in the western U.S. are quite similar to Phoenix in terms of being sprawling and auto centric.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:56 PM

Quote:
That's not the point. You were miserable here. You had a chance to leave and still sell your home for a profit yet you decided to remain. In other words you didn't hate Phoenix enough to leave when you could have. You were willing to endure it if your home continued to rise in value. To me, that suggests you didn't hate Phoenix as much as you suggest.
Sorry, I am just cheap and that IS the truth. I kept telling myself I had not given this place enough of a chance. In retrospect, I was an idiot to not sell (sigh, 20/20). I could have rented and now be in a position to purchase something in the Bay Area.

This place may be great for some people - but it sure is not for me. It is ok to have different opinions, right? At least I would like to think so or it just further confirms the mistake I made in coming here.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
When the value of your home started to fall in 2006 yet was still more than what you paid for it, that should have been enough of a clue. You had a chance to sell in 2006 too but decided to stay. In other words you didn't hate Phoenix enough to leave when you could have. Someone who genuinely hates Phoenix as much you state, would have sold in 2005 or 2006 for that matter. Actions speak louder than words. I don't think you are stupid; I just think you are being less than sincere with your professed hatred of this place. I think you are annoyed with Phoenix but not to the point that you are willing to leave.
Ah, azriverfan. I don't know how to convey my sincerity without disclosing TMI and I am not going to do that here. Please accept what I say as the truth or MY truth. I am happy that you are happy here Peace.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,882,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Aside from the summer weather: SF has nothing that cannot be replicated in at least the Phx area.
They can keep the earthquakes, and their Castro district, we don't want them here...

Old 04-01-2009, 02:30 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,034,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Ah, azriverfan. I don't know how to convey my sincerity without disclosing TMI and I am not going to do that here. Please accept what I say as the truth or MY truth. I am happy that you are happy here Peace.

Nice you start a bash thread then crawl into the "peace" thing when people are full of that silliness.

Poor, pitiful me poster hating Phx and how scuzzy it is and how dumb the people are and how smart the people are in SF...

Here is a big hint: You now LIVE here. For a bit of time. You aren't one of those cool SF people. You are a scuzzy Phx dweller. I imagine people in SF would think you a total loser for living here. For how long? HOW MANY YEARS HAVE YOU LIVED HERE?

Another hint: Move.

Go somewhere you like! Oh, yeah...you CAN'T.

And it's Phx's fault.

It is not Phoenix. It is you. Look in the mirror.

Just curious....do you have lots of friends, family and happy times? No? Well, gosh...there may be a trend there.

Your truth. What a load.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:34 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by intmd8r View Post
Yeah, the wind is definitely a new trend. I like breezes, but the wind is not so great.

I remember for the first few years that I lived here always commenting to my family back in Minnesota about how still it was and how you didn't really even get a breeze in the house when you opened up the windows because there was just NO WIND. It was very strange to me.

Of course now that it's really windy I open up the house and it immediately gets full of dust!
Huh? It's been windy in late March/early April every year since I have been here (35+). The big blow last week was a little strong, but yes, it's always windy off and on this time of year as storms move north of us. Some years have a more active pattern than normal. It won't last. The pattern changes by May and temps jump to the 100s. And be happy. These storms spawn tornadoes as they move east of us into midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area