Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 AM

7 posts, read 21,666 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm a 27 year-old single male who's a recent college graduate(BS in Computer Science) planning on moving to the Phoenix area sometime in July/August of 2009. I visited Arizona for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I was culture shocked! A good female friend of mine lives out there. i absolutely fell in love with the area. The weather is amazing there in January and I don't mind your heat in the summer. I briefly lived in a much hotter area with all the humidity that god can throw at you(Dubai). I don't mind the heat at all. I'm planning on continuing graduate school at Arizona State University (MS in Biomedical Informatics). Although I will not start school the first year as I want to establish Arizona residency so I don't get hit with the out-of-state tuition.

I will not move in with my friend. I will travel there a couple of weeks prior to starting work(more on that later) to rent an apartment and plan my move.

I can't stand NJ or NYC area anymore with all of the cold and high cost of living. I've been there and done that, it's boring to me. Did I mention it's freaking cold here? and hot/humid as balls in the summer.

I do have a nice degree and no problems starting out with 45K-55K a year here. But after all of the taxes, rent, bills and general cost of living, I'm left with little without being able to afford many things. Where as I can get a job in Phoenix that pays less than what I can get here but will enjoy life more out there. If I get 35k-40k starting out, it's enough for an apartment in a nice area, a lease on a car of 250-300 monthly, all other expenses paid and I'm left with a few hundred dollars a month to save. And as far as paying for graduate school, I will take out loans from Sallie Mae.

I will have to look for a job in phoenix metro and I don't mind paying my own relocating costs. I don't even mind going there without a job and finding one once there. I have enough saved for about 3 months living there before I will need money so I can take my time finding a job.

Has anyone here made a similar move? Any suggestions and/or comments are welcome.

Your friend, Mike. Bergen/Passaic counties Northern NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 07:04 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,084 times
My g/f is from Bergen Co(Alpine,NJ) and has lived here for 15 years. I have lived in Tempe my whole life so I'm partial to it and wouldn't live in anyother city in the Valley. Just be careful about jobs the market here is 49th in the country and it won't be easy to find work even with a degree. My g/f got laid off in November and can't find anything.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZnative4Life View Post
Just be careful about jobs the market here is 49th in the country and it won't be easy to find work even with a degree.
49th!? Do you have a source for that?

Old 02-09-2009, 10:24 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,763,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
49th!? Do you have a source for that?
read it on azcentral dont feel like looking for it. Nonetheless the job market sucks right now. If you are lucky enough to have a job i would suggest staying put and not press your luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,740,560 times
Current unemployment numbers show Arizona as 26th worst in unemployment rate, tied with Massachusetts. Not great, but by no means 49th. The only reference that I could find to Arizona being that low in jobs was some numbers from last fall that showed Arizona 49th in non-farm job growth, which is quite a different thing. I agree that moving here without a job is not the best idea, though.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:08 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,216,584 times
I'm in the same boat as you, only Western New York.

College degree in Computer Science, looking for work in PHX.

I have nearly 100 resume's into companies, nothing yet..

Good luck, I've been trying for a year..

Old 02-09-2009, 06:55 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
BS degree in computer science, specializing in what? programming, management, networking? a degree is to broad of a category

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 AM

7 posts, read 21,666 times
w1ngzer0, no concentration or specialization. I don't think many 4 year degrees have a specialization. The specialization/concentration comes into play at the Masters/PhD level. At least in the computer science world. But nevertheless, I have taken several classes in Software Engineering and I'm very good at it. I also have an A+ certification as I have worked as a technician for a couple of years.

JustinH, sorry to hear about your troubles in trying to find IT jobs. You have not received any offers or call-backs? Are you specifiying in your cover letters that you will be willing to pay for relocating there on your own? How much money are you looking for? Did you try to contact ASU as they might refer you to jobs?

Old 02-10-2009, 12:56 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMike View Post
w1ngzer0, no concentration or specialization. I don't think many 4 year degrees have a specialization. The specialization/concentration comes into play at the Masters/PhD level. At least in the computer science world. But nevertheless, I have taken several classes in Software Engineering and I'm very good at it. I also have an A+ certification as I have worked as a technician for a couple of years.
I wish you the best of luck searching with your degree.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:03 AM

426 posts, read 1,306,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMike View Post
I also have an A+ certification as I have worked as a technician for a couple of years.
If you're looking to get more into the tech support side of things, I would strongly suggest adding another certification or two in your desired technology area (MCSE, CCNA, etc).

While there is a strong argument to be made that certifications don't prove you know the material in and out, it will help get past any HR types that are instructed to look only for certified applicants.

I work for one of the former Fortune 10 financial companies and have interviewed a number of people for technology positions. It isn't uncommon for good non-certified people's resumes to never make it to the interviewing manager. With the job market being as tight as it is, you need to be as competitive as possible and getting a certification or two will help with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: