Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 10:08 PM

38 posts, read 93,784 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are in the research stages of considering a relocation. This would be a good opportunity due to some recent circumstances of jobs and finances. However, I have two kids 6 and 9 and I want to know all the positives and negatives. I love Minneapolis with the exception of the winters which last from Oct thru May generally. I am looking for a family friendly place with excellent education, a lot of activities, and ability for a lot of outdoor time. My husband is black and I am white, although he grew up in Iowa. I have heard some say it doesn't matter, but it does as if we were to move into the southern states it is different for my kids. We want a great suburb, with low crime and it would be nice to find a community that is friendly, as we are used to "Minnesota Nice." I appreciate all your input of pros and cons!! By the way, what do people do in the summers when so hot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 10:09 PM

Default Also...

Forgot to mention, I am a loan officer...is the market picking up yet at all??

Old 12-28-2008, 08:33 AM

191 posts, read 613,592 times
Hi jb, Sounds like you are looking in the right place. The Phoenix valley has the opposite weather than MN, it is wonderful from October thru May. In the summer, there are pools. Everything is air conditioned, so you kind of run from your car AC to a building's AC. Many 'mixed' marriages here as well. All kinds of mixes not just black and white. Chandler, Gilbert and Ahwatukee all have good schools and are very family oriented communities. Chandler has year-round school which is 9 weeks on and 2.5 weeks off with 5-6 weeks in June-July as well. You will be amazed at the parks and rec depts out here as well as the concentration on the arts. Each city has built an Arts Center which has concerts, events etc...

People are buying houses here. Mortgage brokers are slammed this month with apps. The prices are amazing as well as the interest rates. Makes for a buyers market. I don't think you will have a problem. At a party I was at last night, a mortgage broker I was talking to was complaining how he can't keep up and needs to hire help. The brokers I usually deal with are extremely busy as well.

The cons to living here, I think you know...hot summers, not much green, road construction on every street... The pros definitely win for me.
Good Luck whatever you decide.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:53 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,593,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbhawkeye View Post
I love Minneapolis with the exception of the winters which last from Oct thru May generally.
Here is where I step in... winters do NOT last from October through May. Even in freezing Minneapolis, the average high temp in October is 60 degrees, April 56 degrees, and May 70 degrees. If you think those temps are "winter temps" (bogus), then youll dislike PHX's winter temps, because they usually hover around 60-65 degrees.

Back on topic, PHX might be a good move for you.

Old 12-28-2008, 05:36 PM

The stats may pull those temps, but snow in May is very common and I would take Oct and May temps all year to avoid the frigid cold. My hope to pack up the city of Minneapolis, which I love and take it with me somewhere warm and sunny. Yes, the summer heat does not sound pleasant, but I was hoping the positives would outweigh the negatives.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:00 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,222,980 times
Steve-O: If you are in Chicago, why do you insist on correcting every single poster on their observations of other states? You did the same thing on the other post where I said Cleveland was lucky to be 50' in April-which is still true. I lived there for over 40 years. Cleveland has had snow in May as well. Chicago would be Illinois. Do you have any point to contribute other than "correcting" everyone else?

jbhawkeye: Phoenix would definitely be more mild than Minneapolis. Keep in mind December is typically the coldest month. Of course an occasional day may be chilly from here on out, but for the most part, nowhere to go but up up up. ;-) The heat doesn't really bother me. This year the hottest days were I believe in June, maybe early July. The mornings are really nice tho even in summer-so if you do things like bike or jog, that would be when to do it. Kids are kids and will be outside in weather most adults fear lol! Just make sure they have plenty of water and sunscreen in the summer.

Keep in mind that you also dont have to shovel the sunshine-even if it touches freezing here (which it may do a few times a year in the nighttime), there isnt that wet windy icy mess to contend with. 60' isn't exactly bundle up in layers with thermal undies weather.

I moved here from Cleveland and live in NE Phoenix and love it. (Generally the areas called Desert Ridge and Kierland). Suggest you plan a trip out here to scope out neighborhoods you like. Good luck!

Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM

107 posts, read 338,884 times
jbhawjeye: I am in the mindset now that I would rather find a way around the heat than spend four months hibernating in my house. Trying to avoid winter.

Old 12-29-2008, 01:27 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,341,820 times
I am from Phoenix originally and it is not bad in the winter. I tried to stay in Reno, Nevada in the spring and it about killed me. Minnesota would even be colder yet I am sure.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:25 PM

930 posts, read 2,429,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Here is where I step in... winters do NOT last from October through May. Even in freezing Minneapolis, the average high temp in October is 60 degrees, April 56 degrees, and May 70 degrees. If you think those temps are "winter temps" (bogus), then youll dislike PHX's winter temps, because they usually hover around 60-65 degrees.

Back on topic, PHX might be a good move for you.
Steve-O!!!! I am gonna quit pretending like I live here and just let you tell me how it is.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:58 AM

143 posts, read 365,989 times
Hi:

Having moved here from the mid-west in '76 - I believe that you willl love the winters. My siblings are in WI & so I know what you are dealing with...it has frozen twice pretty hard. It is 51 now heading for 70+. However, the summers are brutal. You have kids - they are NOT going to enjoy playing outside
as they can in MSP. We are looking forward to leaving the traffic, heat, crime, but spend some time on this forum & if at all possible - come for a vist in July/Aug.. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area