Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 02:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,676 times

Advertisements

college student, just starting on own with a very low income. I have to move in by january 15 but im concerned about the bad areas. Someone tell me about Gateway on Apache and The Villas on Apache apartments please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:47 AM

33 posts, read 136,541 times
Hi,

If you are concern about an area I would suggest calling the Tempe police. They can give you crime stats for an area.

Stephen

Old 07-01-2009, 06:57 AM

2 posts, read 6,623 times
I am moving in to Tempe in August and am looking for an apartment to rent.
Any opinion about these neighborhoods is greatly appreciated:

Tempe Royal Palms
McClintock Manor
Elliot Rd
Warner Rd
Los Tesoros
Marlborough Park
The Landings
Dorsey Ln
Renaissance
Contempo Tempe

Which is safer, quieter, and more beautiful?
By the way I am an student with a limited budget, and also would like to live near ASU.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:05 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
I'm not extremely familiar with all of them, but if you are on a limited budget, you can cross some of them off your list, probably. Los Tesoros has no apartments, and is high end homes. Elliot and Warner Roads are in south Tempe, not as close to ASU, and are very nice areas, may or not be in your price range. (Tempe does have good bus service)

Tempe Royal Palms is just north of me. No apartments, you might find a townhouse to rent to share. It's between Elliot and Warner, so it's south as well.

Marlborough Park would be convenient to ASU, it's condos and townhouses as well. McClintock Manor is an older neighborhood, I'm not sure what the apartments are around there.

Contempo Tempe is a nice mobile home park. Largely senior citizens, I expect.

I don't know what "The Landings" or "Renaissance" refers to.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:17 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,017,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers479 View Post
college student, just starting on own with a very low income. I have to move in by january 15 but im concerned about the bad areas. Someone tell me about Gateway on Apache and The Villas on Apache apartments please.
Steelers??? Ugh, great...another "the Pitts Berg" fan moving to the Great State of Arizona...well I would recommend a lovely area around 43rd Ave and Indian School Rd. It is a lovely Maryvale neighborhood...make sure to wear your lovely Steelers garb and litter your car with plenty of wonderful Steeler stickers!!! (Yes, I am being a little facetious, a litte )

On a serious note...for what you are requesting and as you have wisely pointed out the decision to put yourself on a low income budget, the apartments on Apache you listed are not downtown Phoenix or Tempe Town Lake lofts or luxury apartments but they are perfect for low income starter place until you earn your bigger payday. Lots of ASU students from what I recall!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:17 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,580,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
... Elliot and Warner Roads are in south Tempe, not as close to ASU, and are very nice areas, may or not be in your price range. (Tempe does have good bus service)...
The good bus service like Orbit is only north of US 60, not available in south Tempe.

Old 07-02-2009, 12:19 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
The good bus service like Orbit is only north of US 60, not available in south Tempe.
I wasn't just referring to Orbit, though what you say is correct. Still, there is a lot of regular Valley Metro service on Rural, McClintock, Hardy, Priest, Mill.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:08 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,219 times
as I posted in the other Tempe thread yesterday, avoid the Mill/Southern and Mill/Broadway area like the plague. It soured me on Tempe forever. If you live in one of the safer and nicer areas of south Tempe, there are plenty of city buses that can take you up to campus (though, as someone who rode the bus for four years of college, it's often a very frustrating and extremely unreliable experience).

Old 07-02-2009, 03:24 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,696 times
I have lived near Southern and hardy for over a decade and grew up around 5th St and Hardy. You have nothing to worry about living in that area. Looks like someone pissed some people off a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area