Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM

12 posts, read 29,961 times

Advertisements

I've just landed a job in Tempe. Now I'm looking for a place to live in Tempe. Which areas are considered the worst/best? And if you have any info on some great apartment complex in Tempe would love to hear about them. Looking to rent a studio or 1 bed in the 500's before the utilities. With utilities would like to spend no more than 650$ a month for rent/utilities. A must is a patio/balcony, fitness center with free weights, and a pool. Would like to have gated community, included cable, and included internet but not necessary. Any and all help is appreciated very much! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 04:35 PM

216 posts, read 606,624 times
I'm not sure exactly how realistic those numbers are but I'll be curious to hear others chime in with suggestions.

As a comparison, the place we're renting has a fitness center, pool(s), all units have patio or balcony, and there's free wi-fi in the common area (clubhouse and main pool area). But we don't get any utilities included at all and the price is about $250 more than you're looking for, for a 1BR. With utilities, rent, and taxes, as well as the required renter's insurance that most places are going to request, I'm guessing we're paying close to $950 inclusive (assuming an average of $70 for power, $30 water, $40 internet, and $50 satellite).

Old 12-10-2012, 05:01 PM

12 posts, read 29,961 times
What is your average monthly cost of electric per month for the year and whats the average during the summer months when the heat is terrible? I've went and looked at Flagstone in Tempe today. Studio runs $617/month including all the utilities. Its 509 rent then a flat rate of 55/mth for electric, 10/mth for gas, and average of around 30/mth for water sewage and garbage. Has a pool, gated community, fitness center, business center. Doesn't look like too bad of a place if you ask me. Just trying to find some more options to check out. Just looking for an apartment that I get the biggest bang for my buck. Even if it's in east Phoenix, South scottsdale, or west Mesa. Thanks for your response!

Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 PM

216 posts, read 606,624 times
I have never heard of Flagstone, but a quick Google search gives it a whopping 15% (out of 100%) rating on ApartmentRatings. Review sites tend to bias towards people who are unhappy, so I generally tend to skim them to see similarities. Multiple reviews mention that the "flat rate" water and sewage is an estimate based on usage for the building and that it can change monthly. More than one also mentions that the AC doesn't go below a certain number (one person says 79 degrees) and that's why they include electricity in your rent for such an inexpensive rate. Six reviews mention roaches. And the only positive review on ApartmentRatings appears to be from the staff themselves posing as a resident, since their "apartment photo" is a picture from the model unit.

Not saying it's a bad place, I've never been there, only that when there are consistencies in reviews that mention bug problems, additional fees, and the management is posting fake reviews... they're all warning signs.

I made some assumptions about bills in my previous post. I have not been here in the middle of summer to determine our power usage at that point, but we're averaging $50-$70 right now. We are "power heavy" with a minimum of two computers and a large NAS running pretty much at all times, a chef-in-training who is constantly cooking (we have an electric stove/oven), and a projector for a TV that runs 6-8 hours a day. None of our lights are CCFL, they are all old-style incandescent (we haven't bothered changing them because the power savings wouldn't be worth the initial cost, and our apartment complex provides us with replacement bulbs).

Just make sure you do your research, that's all. A lot of the reviews for that place mention that they wish they could get out faster and mention $3,000+ lease termination fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area