Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolina View Post
I've been reading through a lot of these threads and can't find much info on Arcadia. I'm moving to Phoenix soon and think I found a roomate, but want to know more about that area. E. Thomas around 42nd St.
Thanks!
First, tell me about you. age? sex? bust size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 AM

1,170 posts, read 3,436,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolina View Post
I appreciate the replies. I would be living in a house with the owner. It's an older one, built around the 50s. She sent pics of the house and neighborhood and it looks nice enough. I'd be working in Avondale, but don't think I want to live on the outskirts of Phoenix. I like being in the city, or at least close to everything. And I guess when I say everything, I mean, shopping, culture, restaurants, night life, etc. I'm single and in my early 30s, so I would like to be in a more central location. Another question: what time does rush hour start in the morning?

Thanks again! If anyone wants to share any other info with me, I'd be happy to hear.
YUCK....Phoenix areas are full of affordable "newer" homes...more so than other cities why da hell would you want to live in "older" home is beyond me. Are you a librarian by chance?

Old 01-09-2009, 08:56 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
Some older homes are built much better than newer homes. Workmanship before illegal aliens got into contruction was much more professional. Also a good reason to not ever follow the crowds and buy a new house when they are going up faster than weeds. The quicker the construction, the more defects. I would be interested in a house built between 1996 and 2001, for example, or built before the 80s real estate bubble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
YUCK....Phoenix areas are full of affordable "newer" homes...more so than other cities why da hell would you want to live in "older" home is beyond me. Are you a librarian by chance?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:27 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1225 View Post
These so called affordable newer homes are cookie cutter quality with shoddy construction for the most part. Basically, you get what you pay for. Some of us would rather pay a little more for an older home and live in a more established area than buy a cheap box of stucco (with a small patch of rocks for a "lawn") in the outer suburban areas. Besides, these newer subdivisions will likely look old and run down in a few years because of the poorer quality of construction.

Also, it's not exactly more affordable to buy a house in the far flung suburban areas when you factor in the commute: cost of fuel, and wear & tear on a vehicle. Don't forget that the rates of foreclosure have been extensively greater in the outer suburban areas than in the more established urban neighborhoods.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:51 AM

919 posts, read 3,395,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
These so called affordable newer homes are cookie cutter quality with shoddy construction for the most part. Basically, you get what you pay for. Some of us would rather pay a little more for an older home and live in a more established area than buy a cheap box of stucco (with a small patch of rocks for a "lawn") in the outer suburban areas. Besides, these newer subdivisions will likely look old and run down in a few years because of the poorer quality of construction.

Also, it's not exactly more affordable to buy a house in the far flung suburban areas when you factor in the commute: cost of fuel, and wear & tear on a vehicle. Don't forget that the rates of foreclosure have been extensively greater in the outer suburban areas than in the more established urban neighborhoods.
I always need printed directions when visiting certain friends in post-2000 built areas. Nice houses but all 3 feet apart and everything looks the same. It also seems the developers wanted to appeal to the folks who want to live on cul-de-sacs, so they designed a maze pattern where every other street curls around to feed a dozen little offshoots, each with a similar name. Left on Vista Berry Rd., right on Elderberry street, then a right on Eldeberry Place, then left on Eldeberry Court, and then 3 houses down on left hand side of Vista Berry Circle. "It's the earthtone stucco house with a patch of green grass and a palm tree. And if the 3 parking spaces on VB circle are taken, just park 3 blocks away on VB Rd. and walk in."

Once you get off the main NSEW Blvds, one really needs GPS to get in and out. Thankfully, if you have OnStar, there's a little button in the shape of a cookie cutter that patches you through to a highly trained professional to help guide you to a major freeway.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:46 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,764,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
Some older homes are built much better than newer homes. Workmanship before illegal aliens got into contruction was much more professional. Also a good reason to not ever follow the crowds and buy a new house when they are going up faster than weeds. The quicker the construction, the more defects. I would be interested in a house built between 1996 and 2001, for example, or built before the 80s real estate bubble.
There is an article on AZcentral about this aswell
Builders cut quality, spark home-value fears

Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
You mean leaded solder or leaded paint? Houses today have better materials, more efficient appliances, better insulation and codes are much more stringent than 30 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area