Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM

7 posts, read 32,717 times

Advertisements

After lots and lots of research, Arcadia is looking like a really nice place for us to relocate to.
It's so much more appealing than being way out in suburbia Scottsdale, yes, you get more house out there, but I feel like it's too remote for us and a bit cookie cutter.
I'd love to hear more about Arcadia, specifically the parks, schools, things to do, restaurants. It seems like a great little community with some soul and character in the midst of a huge area.
House budget is 600K roughly.
We are visiting nect week and want to be sure we hit the highlights of the neighborhood. (and any nearby neighborhoods - Biltmore is nearby I think)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,069,545 times
first, try the "advanced search" feature here at c-d, filling out all the parameters as best you can and see if other Arcadia stuff comes up...the "stevewarner"-username thread on Arcadia et al has been busy lately, too....

Arcadia is well-known in the Phx area as a great (and lush) neighborhood...originally developed as orchards 70-90 years or so, it is very green now because of irrigation canals from the Salt River Project (SRP)....houses filled in the orchards starting about 60 years ago, but many trees remain....the ares is now borderline "historic" (for Phx, at least)

as mentioned elsewhere here, the boundaries of "true" Arcadia are not well-defined....I think of Arcadia as N of Indian School, W of 68th St, S of Camelback Mountain and E of 40th St....Exeter is one of the hallmark streets of Arcadia, especially W of 68th St for several blocks....narrow street, so drive carefully...some remodels for >$2M and others anxiously awaiting remodel or teardown for much less....

no huge parks, but several little ones highly scattered about...the canal itself is very popular for walking, running, biking and goes for miles in both directions....Arcadia HS is in the Scotts district, but well within the City of Phoenix, as most of Arcadia is...the Royal Palms Inn, recently updated, is in the heart of the 'hood and a nice local spot...more business is towards the west side of Arcadia, along 40th and 44th Streets from Camelback Rd and to the south....a few trendy, hip spots in there....

Old 08-08-2012, 08:28 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,165,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
first, try the "advanced search" feature here at c-d, filling out all the parameters as best you can and see if other Arcadia stuff comes up...the "stevewarner"-username thread on Arcadia et al has been busy lately, too....

Arcadia is well-known in the Phx area as a great (and lush) neighborhood...originally developed as orchards 70-90 years or so, it is very green now because of irrigation canals from the Salt River Project (SRP)....houses filled in the orchards starting about 60 years ago, but many trees remain....the ares is now borderline "historic" (for Phx, at least)

as mentioned elsewhere here, the boundaries of "true" Arcadia are not well-defined....I think of Arcadia as N of Indian School, W of 68th St, S of Camelback Mountain and E of 40th St....Exeter is one of the hallmark streets of Arcadia, especially W of 68th St for several blocks....narrow street, so drive carefully...some remodels for >$2M and others anxiously awaiting remodel or teardown for much less....

no huge parks, but several little ones highly scattered about...the canal itself is very popular for walking, running, biking and goes for miles in both directions....Arcadia HS is in the Scotts district, but well within the City of Phoenix, as most of Arcadia is...the Royal Palms Inn, recently updated, is in the heart of the 'hood and a nice local spot...more business is towards the west side of Arcadia, along 40th and 44th Streets from Camelback Rd and to the south....a few trendy, hip spots in there....
Agreed. Many existing threads on Arcadia already.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:01 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,275,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
After lots and lots of research, Arcadia is looking like a really nice place for us to relocate to.
It's so much more appealing than being way out in suburbia Scottsdale, yes, you get more house out there, but I feel like it's too remote for us and a bit cookie cutter.
I'd love to hear more about Arcadia, specifically the parks, schools, things to do, restaurants. It seems like a great little community with some soul and character in the midst of a huge area.
House budget is 600K roughly.
We are visiting nect week and want to be sure we hit the highlights of the neighborhood. (and any nearby neighborhoods - Biltmore is nearby I think)
I suggested in your other thread about Scottsdale neighborhoods to check out Arcadia, specifically a drive along Lafayette Boulevard from about 44th Street to 68th Street. That will really give you an idea of what the area is like. Lots of beautiful older homes with large yards ... not anything like the suburban cookie cutter neighborhoods in many other parts of the Valley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
All true, except the AZ Canal is usually defined as the southern boundary of Arcadia, which does stretch along Indian School Road at some points east of 44th Street. Otherwise, your post is extremely accurate as far as the street boundaries. I also agree that Exeter Boulevard is another street to check out (along with Lafayette) to get the feel of Arcadia. Many businesses along Indian School & Thomas have the Arcadia name, but that area south of the canal is often considered to be South Arcadia. It's not nearly as nice as the real Arcadia.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:54 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,307,778 times
We are going to give the OP grief for asking about Arcadia when there are multiple heat threads???? Yes, there are definitely previous threads on Arcadia but I see no problem asking about it again.

Anyway, my take on Arcadia is it's popular because of the type of people who live there. It is considered a trendy area but the populace is very educated and liberal thus it's venues in the area tend to reflect that whether you are talking about restaurants, bars, shopping etc. The area also has beautiful trees, and lawns and is relatively green compared to the Phoenix area. The homes tend to be older so homes that have been updated tend to be fairly expensive in that area. I think 600K will get you a home in Arcadia but it definitely won't be as new or upscale as homes you could get in the suburbs (Gilbert, Chandler, Goodyear etc). I've looked at Arcadia myself and for what I'm seeking, they are asking too much money for what you are getting. But yeah, it's a great area. Good Luck

Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 PM

2,032 posts, read 4,896,042 times
600k in PHX is mansion territory.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:08 PM

428 posts, read 5,885,335 times
found this.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:42 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,328,339 times
vince3vince's video is really nice. But not all of Arcadia is quite that ... mansion-y. Also, to make the boundaries of Arcadia even more confusing, there's also a neighborhood known as Arcadia Lite.
Arcadia Lite, A Neighborhood Between The Giants | Income Property

HistoricPhoenix.com explains it: "And if you love the Arcadia area but don’t have the budget to support an estate, Arcadia Lite (to the west) offers mid-range prices for charming homes (mostly ranch-style, built in the 50s and 60s). While you won’t have a lush, green Arcadia estate with acreage, you will still have the feel as you meet your neighbors over coffee at the bustling La Grande Orange market or over a glass of wine at Postino Winebar (40th Street & Campbell). Entry level begins at around $300,000."

LindseyT., when you are visiting, whether it's Arcadia or Lite that interests you, make sure La Grande Orange (4410 N. 40th St., 85018) is one of your stops. It really is a bustling heart of the neighborhood. (And people actually WALK there.) LGO, as it's known, is a combination coffee bar/gourmet grocery/take-out-or-eat-in casual restaurant/bakery/pizzeria/purveyor of hipster gift items. It's the kind of thing you would find in metros from Washington, DC, to Seattle, but is not common in the Southwest.
http://www.lagrandeorangegrocery.com/

The neighborhood's popular bar/restaurant is nearby. The Vig (4041 N. 40th St, 85018) has its original location in Arcadia. (There's also a newer one Uptown in a restored mid-century bank building.) The Vig describes itself as "a fun, friendly, upscale neighborhood tavern" whose motto is, "You could sit home and be lame. Or you could join us," which about says it all. Happy Hour is until 6 p.m. weekdays, with half-price appetizers. Monday is $5 Burger Night. There's a popular Sunday brunch at the Arcadia location. The regulars are into bocce ball.
http://www.thevig.us/

Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM

2,852 posts, read 4,505,026 times
When I worked in midtown Phoenix I knew someone who lived in the Arcadia-east Phoenix area and loved it except for the problem with cockroaches and rats.

Since then I remember reading about that area having a rat problem, is it because of all the grass, shadetrees, and irrigation or is it because it's an older section?

Old 08-13-2012, 04:20 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,747,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Since then I remember reading about that area having a rat problem, is it because of all the grass, shadetrees, and irrigation or is it because it's an older section?
The problem was specifically roof rats, and the cause was presumed to be citrus trees, i.e. people not harvesting/removing mature fruit. Arcadia seems to have been where the problem started, although it has spread to many other areas. I have heard reports of them here in Willo, although have not had the problem personally. I *think* that roof rats are somewhat under control when compared to a few years ago since you don't hear so much about them lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area