Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,362,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceJohn View Post
If you wait longer, price will drop more, you will save significantly. Do not use judgmental word like no brainer. Thank you.
So would you have to think long and hard about renting for $1450 a month or buying the same place for $389k in a declining market? Even with 20% down, your mortgage payment would still be more than the rent. Yes, I call that a no-brainer. Call me crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 10:16 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,362,044 times
I can't imagine any bailout will include spec. houses, investment properties, builders or already foreclosed house. The ones we all see in various neighborhoods are way past the point of no-return when it comes to any bailout.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:37 PM

682 posts, read 2,568,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I just think the real issue will be credit but are you watching what's in the bail out plan to help homeowners. This will paint a different picture if it passes. We might want to see what it does. It is designed to give more purchasing power and avoid people having to sell for any less than they already are. There will be more people able to buy and sell if this goes through, and it will change the market quickly. I'm watching what they added to it as I type. I will have to say, this will change a few things. I'll have to wait and see before I predict another down trend.
The one thing which will not change is that people will still be upside down on their mortgage no matter what the new payment may be. This is one reason people are mailing back the keys now and bailing out, so I don't expect these people to stay in their houses since "bailing" is now considered "OK" by a large segment of the population.

My bet is that housing will keep going down for a long time because of economic factors as well as buyers not qualifying under the new regs.

altus2006

Old 09-28-2008, 04:46 PM

173 posts, read 656,457 times
What is the impact of 700 billion bailout on the housing price? and interest rate?

Old 09-29-2008, 12:23 AM

According to the expert online, housing price will go down till next year at least. Renting may make senses now.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:49 PM

89 posts, read 269,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceJohn View Post
According to the expert online, housing price will go down till next year at least. Renting may make senses now.
And this is on average throughout the US...they're saying 2012 for AZ...

Old 10-06-2008, 09:52 PM

89 posts, read 269,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
So would you have to think long and hard about renting for $1450 a month or buying the same place for $389k in a declining market? Even with 20% down, your mortgage payment would still be more than the rent. Yes, I call that a no-brainer. Call me crazy.
Exactly...

Old 10-07-2008, 10:23 AM

I agree renting is a good idea for now. One thing, Houses in some well established areas won't drop much. With energy crisis, people will live close to the employers, parks and shopping centers. For Examples, Tempe, Chandler and Tempe.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:54 PM

16 posts, read 46,691 times
If you're concerned about buying in a particular area, give me an idea of where you'd like to be and I'll create a market analysis of that area for you. The prices will continue to fall as along as the buyers sit on the fence, because the sellers will have no choice but to lower the price, but this will only last so long.

I think we're rounding out towards the bottom, but that should not be an indicator when deciding whether to buy or not. Right now homes are at bargain prices. Sure, the prices may continue to fall, but not that much. We're already at 2004 pricing and they aren't adding any more land in Arizona, so the prices will eventually return to a steady increase.

Home ownership is designed to be a long term investment, not a short term investment, so you need to be able to understand that there will be down times where your initial investment may be worth less than you originally put into it. This is normal.

Don't be one of those people who waits too long and then misses the opportunity because you purchased on the upswing. Always buy on the down-swing. That's where you get your discounts.

Old 10-07-2008, 02:57 PM

16 posts, read 46,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altus2006 View Post
Why don't you move into a rental that you can lease on a short term basis. You do not seem ready to take any risks on a house and the chance of losing some money (or a lot of money) on a house right now is great.

altus2006
Losses aren't incurred until you sell the asset. Real estate increases in value over time. Renting is a quick way to throw away hard earned money, but if you don't have the cashflow (which is always king) then you may have to rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area