Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:27 PM

22 posts, read 81,551 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone, and hello to the entire City-data forum people...

My family and I (also, our 5 little animals [ferrets]) are considering on moving to Phoenix metro, Arizona. We're young (just 2 years of marriage so we're still fresh... in our marriage and we love each other) and we're really looking to move in Phoenix Metro by the end of June, 2008. We would like to bring up some questions that pertain to our moving plan, and we'll really appreciate if you will somehow take part in our "to begin" Journey:

1. What is the best place to move in, in the Phoenix Metro area (in N-W, N-E, S-W, S-E or center, refer to safety (I know none of the places in the whole world are safe, but still...), cost of living?

2. Is anyone of you having ferrets in Arizona? Is the hot climate healthy for them?

3. Where could we find both affordable / non luxury based apartments and public transportation (one of us does not drive) in the Phoenix Metro (Tempe, Scottsdale, N-W, N-E, S-W, S-E, midtown)?

4. Is Phoenix, AZ location really good for arthritis suffers [this was the main point for which we want to move in Arizona]?

5. Are there any other natural disasters that Phoenix faced, besides the sand storms and droughts.

6. What is the driving attitude of motorists in Phoenix metro, Arizona (aggressive, tailgating minded, ...)? Is there a lot of traffic? When is the highest traffic period? Mornings/afternoons/evenings?

7. Status of IT and Medical jobs availability [we have been trying to apply for some jobs from New Jersey, in Phoenix, AZ, but most of the adds that we've found so far, online, require that you will be a local resident (yet, I'm still waiting for some answers after some phone interviews)]?

8. Is it safe to drive way across of USA (from New Jersey to Phoenix, AZ), or better to send the car through a cargo and we to fly)?

In one of the pictures, my wife is taking good care of me (sneaking that needle in my hand for phlebotomy training at her UC College, NJ), other picture there are 4 of our ferrets really thirsty, and than we both in the laundry room. This, just to introduce ourselves to you.

Thank you all for your thoughts and I'll be waiting for your answers. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask and we'll provide you with the needed answers.

N&M.
Attached Thumbnails
Questions: Relocating from New Jersey to Phoenix Metro, AZ)-dsc04176.jpg   Questions: Relocating from New Jersey to Phoenix Metro, AZ)-dsc03097.jpg   Questions: Relocating from New Jersey to Phoenix Metro, AZ)-laundryroom.jpg  

Last edited by kindn3ss; 05-26-2008 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: New thought!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM

34 posts, read 103,436 times
jersey,
I moved from jersey 23 years ago, if you are looking for nice area's the whole state is very good. Dont get me wrong there are some not so nice areas thru out the state also. If you are looking for family areas gilbert & queen creek. You can look into the queen creek area, right now you can own a house for less than rent in a apt.
As for your critters, my neighbor has a huge setup in there back yard for them, they play all day in there.
Monsoons are the only major storms that we get here, they come and go get used to the dust and your dirty car.
Hope this helps

Old 05-27-2008, 09:02 AM

21 posts, read 70,906 times
I just did what you are about to do...I moved here from Edison NJ in April 2008. I spent the previous 21 years in NJ.

Some answers to your questions above...
#3 - I was able to rent a nice 2 bedroom (Fully Furnished) Condo in a gated community in Scottsdale right by the TPC golf course for $940 a month. The rent on this Condo jumps to $2400/month during Jan to March. That is peak season out here. The neighborhood is awesome, I am like the poorest guy out here! LOL!

#6 - Traffic out here is NOTHING compared to the stuff we face in NJ. So far I have not noticed anything aggresive or unusual about the traffic.

#7 - I work in the IT field as Software Engineer. I was able to land a job out here with just phone interviews. You will have to keep plugging away at the phone interviews. It took me about 3 months or so of looking for jobs out here before I got the one I landed.

#8 - I drove cross-country from NJ to AZ with a U-Haul trailer in tow. I had a friend of mine who was driving his trailer with me as well. We loved the whole trip, took lots of photos. I would highly recommend it, it just a great way to see the whole country! You can get on I-78 West from NJ and change a couple of Interstates by Indiana/Illinois and then from St. Louis to Arizona all you need is to head west on I-40. It was just a great drive! Safety was never an issue.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Old 05-27-2008, 05:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,798 times
Hi Kindn3ss:

You are doing the right thing by moving here, this is by far one the best places to live. As far as driving goes it all depends what condition your car is in, if it has a lot of miles than best is to rent a uhaul and tow it because there are some really "nothing in sight for miles" places on the way from NJ to AZ.
If you drive leave early and stop before sun down and and try to avoid weekends because most of the services are closed so if you have any car trouble you pretty much spend the weekend in a motel.

Apartment search best leave it to when you get here, drive around and get a feel of the complex and the management and other preferences as per your need.

Job market is slow right now, give yourself sometime to get a break.

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM

14 posts, read 49,136 times
I second the notion that driving across counrty is a great idea. I took about 6 days to drive from MD to AZ and wish I had taken more time. But I was anxious to get here and puppy made it hard to do touristy things.

I am concerned for you with the public transportation thing. I'm hoping someone addresses that part - sorry that I don't know much about it. I'm worried that there isn't much to offer here. Certainly nothing like NYC or Washing DC. Anyone?

I'm in IT at Lockheed on the West side. There is a newer hospital/medical facility nearby at the junction of Goodyear and Avondale - search in 85392 or 85338. I forget the name, sorry! It's on McDowell between Dysart and Litchfield Rd. Cost of living is good on the West side, just bought a beautiful house - far more house than I could afford in MD. I think you'll find a similiar comparison from NJ. I'm in zip 85338 and love it, but don't see much public transportation, so it might not be for you. I really think that'll be the key to picking a location for you. There are nice areas all over the city.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:51 PM

Thanks guys for the quick replies...

All of your advises are really, helpful knowing the fact that soon we'll put our feet in Arizona, Phoenix. We can't wait to get there and as you said, Dagmen, I'll try to push it with as many phone interview as possible (hopefully I'll get something soon cause we really are considering moving by the end of the next month (June, 2008).

kimolyn, my car is just new (bought it in June, 2007); it's a dodge caliber 2007 and runs perfect. The sand I think will affect eventually the color of it, but everything in this world has their good/bad. To leave with sand in your pocket, does not hurt at all. I'll take my pants off and wash them; SE / Voila - no more sand (until the next sand storm) ). As about the Gilbert & Queen creek, I'll take a look and hopefully we'll add this place to the list of the apartments we'll look for, as soon as we'll get there.

chance2 - "Job market is slow right now, give yourself sometime to get a break." Nice catch. I think I really need this. I'll hope though that we'll survive with only 3 grands in our pockets for a couple of months.

The very next family member we'll get in our house will be a PUPPY, Hamancheez, of course, if any kids will not show up ahead. What is the location where that Hospital is in? If I'll find the location, I think I'll dig a little bit more and my wife will get a job for herself [hopefully some transportation will be available in its area though, otherwise I'll put my wife on the car and "Let's ride the cow/horse!"]. I'm not worried about the IT jobs. I know I'll find something that will fit my needs. How many houses/buildings do you have in your area, Hamancheez? Sounds more likely there's plenty of free space, and I bet in 10 years, that map won't show mountain on that area.

Dagmen, thank you for the given road map. I'll take in consideration your advise. I have a Navigon 7100 system that function perfect and I really enjoy driving with it; at least here in NJ for now, and hopefully I'll be happy using it in Arizona too. Is it exausting though driving so long time? I'm just wondering cause I remember I had to drive my wife with some friends to SixFlags for about 2 hours, and that road really killed me. I was so tired that I thought I was drunk. LOL.

Any other advises, are really welcomed.

Thank you every one for your posted time to type some of the answers to my questions. I'm really taking every advises in consideration, knowing the fact that I will learn something. I really appreciate it and again, don't hesitate to reply to my questions.

Thank you everyone!

Last edited by kindn3ss; 05-27-2008 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: Updating the above message...

Old 05-27-2008, 10:02 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,863,919 times
I have to agree with the other poster that mentioned the lack of public transportation. This COULD be a real problem. Phx is sooooooo spread out, with all the suburbs, etc. And the bus service is not great from what I've read. Plus it gets so very hot in the summer...you just really would not want to be waiting for a bus when it is 110 outside...and for a few months in summer it is between 100-110 a lot of the time.

One thing to think of would be....if your wife worked at a hospital....get an apartment right by the hospital...like a block a way. Then she could walk and you could drive to your job.

Something to think about.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:13 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,610 times
Yes, I agree, no public transport here. Unless your on the bus line. But I don't know if your wife would like the bus. Some creepies on there. I, being a woman, wouldn't want to bus it if I didn't have to. This is a lot different out here. We are far from a "green" state. lol We beg people to carpool and they won't. That said, you could probably get a nice apartment by the hospital. Chandler Regional Hospital has a lot of nice apt.s by it and on the other side is Chandler Fashion Mall. All the shopping one could want, including groceries. So, you might look into that hospital. The only issue there is the ferrets. A lot of people won't rent to ferret owners because of the smell. So, I either wouldn't say anything until they notice or search the rentals for someone who will take you all. lol I know a regular apt. complex probably won't allow them. Maybe a private owner. You might find a house for rent by the hospital. Cost more though. Rents are going up as we speak because renters are getting wise to all the people who have foreclosed out here and need a place to rent. So hurry. lol When I leave AZ I plan to drive across for the excitement of seeing the whole country. My kids will love it! You will get use to the travel after the first day or two. Then it won't bother your eyes as much. Download some books off itunes and listen to some cool stories on your way here. Who ever isn't driving have them keep a journal. It helps keep you alert and makes it fun. The ferrets might get a little restless though? I forgot about them. I don't imagine they will like the flight either. lol Rent a small motor home for the trip. They rent them one way, and you can stay in it until you find a rental. Just a thought, I'm looking into it for me and my 3 children to make the trip easier to handle. lol Good Luck to you. Since you don't have kids you should probably love it here. I would love to come here as a young couple. Free to have fun in the sun!!!! Oh, and you'll get plenty of sun, especially if your walking to work. lol Buy an umbrella, not for the rain either. lol

Old 05-28-2008, 09:00 AM

14 posts, read 49,136 times
Here's a link to the hospital i'm talking about:

West Valley Hospital - Exceptional people, exceptional care

Here is another one that is more in the middle of things - both on the West side.
Arizona Hospital Directory-Banner Health Hospitals in Arizona offer long-term care and urgent care (http://www.bannerhealth.com/Locations/Arizona/Arizona_Hospital.htm - broken link)

Looks like they have several locations. I've been to the one in Glendale, the ER at least. It was crowded, but they took good care of me eventually.

Looking on Mapquest, it looks like there are no houses in my neighborhood, but they're a couple years behind. It's not so barren anymore. But we're still on the edge of civilization. LOL.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 PM

thanks guys for the reply... I will definitely take in consideration your advices which means a lot to us. Thank you again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area