Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 01:16 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Yes lack of monsoon and high pressure making entire region warm. Nevertheless this weekend was way better than last weekend. I was able to go out and do stuff today and yesterday and didn't feel that it was any big deal.
We're talking about unprecedented levels of sustained extreme heat the likes of which most people on planet earth have never and will never experience. And as usual, you chime in with phrases like "warm" and "no big deal." Again, this is extremely misleading for people who aren't familiar with our climate and are reading this board looking for legitimate information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2020, 01:37 PM

717 posts, read 1,057,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeplewillhavetheirsay View Post
I honestly don't know how you guys stand it.
Through the power of delusion.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:59 PM

2,774 posts, read 901,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
A friend and I were talking and found it odd that we only had 1 or 2 dust storms last year and NONE for this year. Then you couple that with no rain, hell, no CLOUDS, one of the hottest summers recorded and record breaking days of 110+ in a row, and you got what feels like an actual Hell on earth scenario. I can handle the unending heat and sun, but damn do I miss the storms.
I miss the storms too. It's about the only exciting weather we get here and we're missing out this year.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM

2,774 posts, read 901,837 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know how you guys stand it. I can go outside for a couple hours in really cold weather; just have to dress properly and be active. But what the heck can you do about being outside in 110 or 115 degrees.............take all your clothes off?
I grew up in Wisconsin and left when I was 18 years old. As a kid winter was fun most of the time, skating, snow forts, sledding etc. But the charm of winter wore off quickly once I acquired a girlfriend and started driving a car. Well laid plans often got sidelined because of winter weather. Dead batteries, scraping ice off windows and all that got old. The short days made the cold weather more depressing.

I went into the military and spent about 3 years in Korea and 3 years in Louisiana. Korea has winter but it is much milder than Wisconsin winter. Never below zero and very little snow, most of which melted away after a few days. Louisiana had winter too, but it was like Wisconsin Spring. Went back to Wisconsin after Louisiana and my second winter back there broke me. After two years back in Wisconsin I moved to Arizona and have been here since 81. I just could not re-acclimate to winter. I happily pay for the electricity to keep my house here cool in the summer. Next month things start cooling down. Pick your poison I guess.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:24 PM

848 posts, read 966,559 times
Quote:
I honestly don't know how you guys stand it. ...
First, you don't have to shovel the heat. You can move around just fine in it. It doesn't pile up on the roads and prevent you from driving on it. Second, unless you have an outdoor job, you aren't in the heat that long anyway unless it's on purpose. House -> car -> store/job -> car -> house. You really don't spend much time outside in the heat.

Myself, I don't mind it because I don't sweat that easily. When I do, it's not much at all. Whereas with winter, even if it's just cold or rainy (I've never been in snow), the cold makes me feel like I'm shutting down and dying. All my limbs get stiff and numb, even with appropriate attire. It really sucks. Snow is a huge no-go.

Old 08-10-2020, 02:41 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Climatewise, there's a whole lot of the country in between the extremes of Phoenix and Wisconsin. I've lived in both places. Been here for about 15 years for a good job. Don't regret the move but we will not be staying after retirement, when we'll have lots more free time to enjoy the outdoors.

I've stopped looking at the 10-day forecast. Should put the electric bill on auto-pay too, so I don't have to look at it.

Old 08-10-2020, 04:14 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
It's not just us with the heat. The whole southern end of the west is getting slammed with heat, like El Paso & San Antonio. El Paso has limited outdoor watering to 3 days/week and San Antonio to only 1 day/week. Both are having temps over 100, although not as high as we are.

Old 08-10-2020, 09:43 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,757,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey73 View Post
I miss the storms too. It's about the only exciting weather we get here and we're missing out this year.
Yes!!! We most definitely are missing out. For me, the ONLY saving grace about summer is the monsoon season. We put up with a hell of a summer each and every year, the thing that keeps us sane is the occasional storm rolling in and breaking stuff up.

Old 08-11-2020, 07:39 AM

4 posts, read 2,600 times
I moved here from Washington state about a year ago and am still thrilled to open up the shades and see the beautiful blue sky every morning. After living 58 years with endless gray and drizzle and maybe 2 months of summer, I will take a few months of extreme heat. Even when it is 110+, my wife and I still can go out on the back patio, relax and enjoy the day. It probably all depends on where you grew up and what you got sick of. I love it here.

Old 08-11-2020, 08:45 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
I just returned from a few days in the Southeast, this mornings walk with the dog felt amazing compared to the constant sweat I endured even in the morning or evening hours out there. Sitting outside in the evening getting annihilated by bugs while I'm sweating just isn't very desirable too me.

I did enjoy some afternoon thunderstorms, which made me further miss the monsoon, which is probably a good reason why the temps are as high as they've been. Low moisture in the air by a relatively non-existent monsoon season will of course drive higher day time temps but the mornings have sure felt nicer with the dry air over the last week or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area