Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2020, 03:28 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,676,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Again, she would never directly come out and say that. But do the math.

And first paragraph: "Cleveland’s spike in COVID-19 coronavirus cases that has set daily records twice since Thursday has its roots in the days immediately after the Black Lives Matter protest on May 30 in downtown, Public Health Director Merle Gordon said Monday."
The math would suggest that the protesters are a drop in the bucket compared to the volumes that went out once businesses reopened, also in the same time period. Even less of a drop when considering that they mostly wore masks and were outdoors. If anything, it's a very small contributor, but some desperately want to vilify the protesters and blame our problems on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The math would suggest that the protesters are a drop in the bucket compared to the volumes that went out once businesses reopened, also in the same time period. Even less of a drop when considering that they mostly wore masks and were outdoors. If anything, it's a very small contributor, but some desperately want to vilify the protesters and blame our problems on them.
You're taking something to the extreme. I'm not saying they are to blame for everything. For once, it would be refreshing for you to just say: "You know....hmmm....I may actually not be right about everything. Maybe the protests did spread Covid (even just a little bit)." But instead of just swallowing your pride for a half second, you defend this ridiculous notion to all ends of the Earth. I'm not sure this is the hill you want to die on, but to each their own.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
You're taking something to the extreme. I'm not saying they are to blame for everything. For once, it would be refreshing for you to just say: "You know....hmmm....I may actually not be right about everything. Maybe the protests did spread Covid (even just a little bit)." But instead of just swallowing your pride for a half second, you defend this ridiculous notion to all ends of the Earth. I'm not sure this is the hill you want to die on, but to each their own.
I never said that they had no spread. Even the post that you just responded to acknowledged that. It would be moronic to suggest that there was zero spread at the protests. So, if the point is that there was likely some spread among the protesters, sure, and I haven’t suggested otherwise. It’s just not likely a contributor to the degree that many other activities are, including the reckless political rally, yet people keep going on about the protesters, the protesters, the protesters(!). How can anyone argue with that?

Old 06-30-2020, 06:23 PM

1,695 posts, read 1,286,784 times
Quote:
I never said that they had no spread. Even the post that you just responded to acknowledged that. It would be moronic to suggest that there was zero spread at the protests. So, if the point is that there was likely some spread among the protesters, sure, and I haven’t suggested otherwise. It’s just not likely a contributor to the degree that many other activities are, including the reckless political rally, yet people keep going on about the protesters, the protesters, the protesters(!). How can anyone argue with that?
He had a rally in two locations, Phoenix and Tulsa. Tulsa attendance was 6,200 and Phoenix attendance was capped around 3,000. Of those 9,200, I'm sure a decent portion were masked (I have no clue the actual amount). Either way, that is only 9,200 people. Do you have any idea how many people were protesting throughout the US? Hundreds of thousands would be my guess. Mask or no mask, the numbers are staggering and do matter.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:35 PM

Quote:
He had a rally in two locations, Phoenix and Tulsa. Tulsa attendance was 6,200 and Phoenix attendance was capped around 3,000. Of those 9,200, I'm sure a decent portion were masked (I have no clue the actual amount). Either way, that is only 9,200 people. Do you have any idea how many people were protesting throughout the US? Hundreds of thousands would be my guess. Mask or no mask, the numbers are staggering and do matter.
I’m not concerned with Tulsa and they were at least able to spread out a bit due to the poor attendance. Here in Phoenix, the smaller venue church was near capacity without a mask in sight. That’s a far more risky environment than being outside, moving around and wearing a mask. Those are 3,000 people that then go to their families, to bars, to restaurants, etc. It’s disingenuous to continue carrying on about the protests while ignoring activity that was more reckless.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:39 PM

811 posts, read 624,530 times
Quote:
That seems to be your favorite talking point. Feigning a straw man question.

I am betting those "3000" at the Trump rally are not the same people going to bars. Just a hunch. lol

The contagion passed around at the protests is legit. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:43 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,979,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
That seems to be your favorite talking point. Feigning a straw man question.

I am betting those "3000" at the Trump rally are not the same people going to bars. Just a hunch. lol

The contagion passed around at the protests is legit. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not.
How you figure? Maybe not the old town bars but let’s not pretend Trump doesn’t have supporters who go to bars?

Old 06-30-2020, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
How you figure? Maybe not the old town bars but let’s not pretend Trump doesn’t have supporters who go to bars?
Like I said; just a hunch. I'm sure there are but poll most serial bar flies and I'm guessing you'll find most are absolutely brain dead and clueless about politics, current events, and civil engagement. Old Town Scottsdale scene is a classic example of it. Why exclude them?

And BTW: How many mask alarmists would EVER cross paths with Trump supporters? Would LOVE to see that interaction!

Old 06-30-2020, 06:54 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,979,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Like I said; just a hunch. I'm sure there are but poll most serial bar flies and I'm guessing you'll find most are absolutely brain dead and clueless about politics, current events, and civil engagement. Old Town Scottsdale scene is a classic example of it. Why exclude them?
If you ask the old town crowd I imagine they’d use similar adjectives to describe people that go to Trump rallys.

I bet there are probably quite a few Trump supporters that frequent the old town area as well.

Old 06-30-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
If you ask the old town crowd I imagine they’d use similar adjectives to describe people that go to Trump rallys.

I bet there are probably quite a few Trump supporters that frequent the old town area as well.
Not where I hang so I don't know. I hope they don't pass Covid but I DO hope they VOTE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area