Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 AM

525 posts, read 540,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
I'll be interested to find out if any city in the metro area will swim against the tide of peer pressure and doesn't issue a mask order - currently, the only one I know of at the moment is Marana, which is not applicable to the PHX metro.

Additionally, I'll be interested in knowing what sort of penalties there will be for not wearing a mask in each jurisdiction - for example, if you could be arrested in Mesa but not in Tempe. For instance, a little snippet from an AZR article indicates people in Tucson won't even be ticketed for not following the order:

The idea was to send a unified message, Tucson Mayor Regina Romero said.

She plans to revise and sign her emergency proclamation on Thursday to mandate the wearing of face masks in public places and businesses.

"It’s not like we’re going to be ticketing people. We don’t want that," Romero said. "We just want people … to protect themselves and the people around them. Simple as that."

So I'll be curious to know which jurisdictions are intending not to have any penalties in their ordinance - and those jurisdictions will probably be where I'll go do my shopping!!
So I have followed this pretty closely and from all I have read from cities so far, Scottsdale, Tempe, Tucson and Chandler are more concerned with "education" and "warnings" rather than arresting or fining people. From what I watched at the Chandler City Council meeting yesterday, they are DEFINTELY more interested in just warning people. I believe the mayors of the major cities are trying to get together and be as consistent as possible. For example, if you look at the proclamations of Tempe and Scottsdale, they are almost identical (no masks under 5 years of age, doesn't apply to religious services etc) Some of the outlying cities just copied a generic one with really no caveats.

Chandler Mayor did say last night that they are waiting to see if the County actually let's them make any mandates.

Apache Junction isn't doing a mandate, but I don't know if that's significant. LOL...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 07:58 AM

9,797 posts, read 11,191,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Most of the MMP (Militant Mask Police) seem to be so paranoid that even going out into public frightens them. I assume this will be more pronounced as Covid cases increase.

Let's all do our part to make sure they stay home; for their own safety.
I must admit, I’m rooting for the virus to do its part too.

Your right. Evidently a lot of people are hesitant. But if you would like to switch around the word hesitant with frightened in order to make your point, I guess you can. Like all those frightened and wimpy frontline workers who penned and signed notes to Ducey to grow a pair. Yea, those frightened cowards. What a bunch of wusses! Right??

Pure courage on your part! In the meantime, the airline travel is STILL down by 85% and many other businesses are wobbling. We need more people in the world like our healthy relative (45 female) who had the courage to battle the world without a mask. Never mind she’s soaking in ice baths minimizing the damage to her kidneys. We all should just carry on while hospitals are absolutely bleeding red ink because they have to prepare for people who are not protecting themselves. Screw them! You can live your life as you see fit. This is AMERICA. The land of the free and ignorant. (Fake) God bless America and our courage to ignore common sense! USA,USA, USA!!

Old 06-19-2020, 08:36 AM

811 posts, read 623,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
This is AMERICA. The land of the free and ignorant.
I DEFINITELY can't argue with that statement!

Old 06-19-2020, 09:04 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A grocery store is private property. They can require a mask just as they require shirt and shoes. I've declined to shop at Zia Records as they require a mask to enter. It's their right to require a mask and my right to buy from Amazon instead.
This is how it needs to be implemented: by the stores and such. No mask, no service. If a business does not want to impose that rule, then they get shut down by the health department until they do. Of course, you are going to have the stray a-hole that refuses and makes a scene and you can't be calling the cops over that, but once mask wearing is commonplace, it will not feel out of place or resisted as much. Peer pressure applies to old people too.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:13 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,663,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
A grocery store is private property. They can require a mask just as they require shirt and shoes. I've declined to shop at Zia Records as they require a mask to enter. It's their right to require a mask and my right to buy from Amazon instead.
But why? Why not just wear a mask, get your record and be happy? Why is it that big of a deal? It’a such a ridiculous thing to be so vehemently against and yet people act as if they’re martyrs for taking some sort of stand against something that benefits us all.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:38 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,885,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
So I have followed this pretty closely and from all I have read from cities so far, Scottsdale, Tempe, Tucson and Chandler are more concerned with "education" and "warnings" rather than arresting or fining people. From what I watched at the Chandler City Council meeting yesterday, they are DEFINTELY more interested in just warning people. I believe the mayors of the major cities are trying to get together and be as consistent as possible. For example, if you look at the proclamations of Tempe and Scottsdale, they are almost identical (no masks under 5 years of age, doesn't apply to religious services etc) Some of the outlying cities just copied a generic one with really no caveats.

Chandler Mayor did say last night that they are waiting to see if the County actually let's them make any mandates.

Apache Junction isn't doing a mandate, but I don't know if that's significant. LOL...

I read the Scottsdale proclamation just now, after the educational component (where I assume an armed officer of the city "instructs" you at the point of a gun, to put on a mask... hopefully not while black!), indicates that repeated offenses could be cited as a misdemeanor. I wonder how they'll track THAT.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:04 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,287,432 times
Quote:
I read the Scottsdale proclamation just now, after the educational component (where I assume an armed officer of the city "instructs" you at the point of a gun, to put on a mask... hopefully not while black!), indicates that repeated offenses could be cited as a misdemeanor. I wonder how they'll track THAT.
That's a strange assumption.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:16 AM

39,096 posts, read 51,300,952 times
And the daily tally is now 3300 with the highest number of deaths yet! It is totally out of control in Arizona. Even with only 10% going to hospitals, beds will run out before the end of the month. Sources are saying they are already turning everything into COVID beds including pediatric floors. Elective surgeries may well be cancelled again. I can't believe even Ducey is willing to tolerate this, but he may surprise me. If we had just stayed in "lockdown" past Memorial Day - two more weeks, we might well have contained it.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:17 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,733,445 times
Quote:
I assume you probably wrote this in jest, but this is the type of garbage that reduces the discussion of public health to the level of morons.
Just look around the country today and see all the insane declarations being made by small minded pols and others and you see why people are not receptive to any public decrees, whether they be justifiable public health items or utterly stupid ones banning certain words, statues, and other "offensive" things.

Old 06-19-2020, 10:37 AM

6,775 posts, read 5,080,459 times
Apple is closing Arizona stores.

AZ is a COVID basket case.

Last edited by hikernut; 06-19-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area