Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 09:33 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,881,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austwin1 View Post
Old timer here. I remember terminal one when there was only a terminal one. lol. I spent many happy hours on the terminal two observation deck with my Dad and brother watching planes land and take off. Also remember when American started to fly the 747 into PHX which made necessary the remodeling of gate one to accommodate it. Great news the mural will be saved and moved to the Rental Car Center to welcome visitors to Phoenix.
I also stood outside on Terminal 2's observation deck a number of times, the last time was in 1979.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 06:09 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,352,850 times
I know they are not going to do this, but it would be nice, once T2 is demoed that they reconfigure Sky Harbor Blvd and get rid of the 90 degree bend and straighten it out in alignment with T3 and T4.

It's just one guy's opinion, but the Points Guy came out with his 2018 top US airports and PHX came in at #1.

The Best and Worst Airports of 2018

Last edited by cjseliga; 11-28-2018 at 06:19 AM..

Old 11-28-2018, 12:02 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,279,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
We would be the 13th largest CSA in the US if we were a CSA and we have the 13th busiest airport based on total people boarding. We maintain that ranking due to a factor a lot of people here don't like, our tourism, which results in a lot of people starting/ending their trips from PHX.
Yes, and a lot of our "tourism" isn't even based in the Phoenix area, except for winter/spring visitors. A good share of travelers fly in & out of Sky Harbor, but aren't actually here to see & do Phoenix ... they're here to see & do Arizona (Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc.). Sky Harbor has actually lost some ground to another fast growing city: Las Vegas. McCarran now has more passenger traffic than Sky Harbor thanks to all the people that actually WANT to go to Vegas. Also, some of the Vegas vacation packages include the Grand Canyon, so the Vegas airport has a good amount of tourists who visit some of Arizona's well known attractions. This is why Phoenix needs to do more in order to attract more business and more tourists. Southern CA and Las Vegas pretty much blow us out of the water in this regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
International flights will continue to grow as the valley diversifies further and continues to grow business. We had the 2nd London flight added this year and new service to Germany. I'd like to see Middle East and APAC connections added but only when it makes sense. Starting highly subsidized service that ends as soon as the subsidy ends is pretty depressing. The airlines know if/when a route is justified.
Permanent international flights won't become a reality unless the Phoenix area becomes more of a competitive global market, and not just a regional or back office business center like we have been for too long!

Old 11-28-2018, 09:56 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,622,662 times
McCarrin at #11? Las Vegas' airport sucks. I've taken longer flights just to avoid plane changes at LAS.

Old 11-29-2018, 12:13 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,484,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
McCarrin at #11? Las Vegas' airport sucks. I've taken longer flights just to avoid plane changes at LAS.
Why does the Las Vegas airport suck?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:03 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,352,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
It's just one person's opinion/poll, take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure I can find a poll out there, or just make one myself that has McCarran #1 in the country or dead last in the country!

McCarran does have a newish $2.4 billion Terminal 3, which opened in 2012.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:10 AM

7,327 posts, read 12,355,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
It's just one person's opinion/poll, take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure I can find a poll out there, or just make one myself that has McCarran #1 in the country or dead last in the country!

McCarran does have a newish $2.4 billion Terminal 3, which opened in 2012.
IMO I think it is only because of all the slot machines.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:54 AM

8,045 posts, read 12,279,725 times
Sky Harbor is in a perfect centralized location ... not out in the middle of nowhere like some airports. The SkyTrain has provided another option for commuting, and the best part is that it's not being paid for with tax money, but through rental car fees and airline passenger facility charges. Sky Harbor definitely has the potential to be on par with O'Hare, LAX, and Atlanta as far as passenger traffic and international flights if it would only be allowed to.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 PM

1,612 posts, read 2,018,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yes, and a lot of our "tourism" isn't even based in the Phoenix area, except for winter/spring visitors. A good share of travelers fly in & out of Sky Harbor, but aren't actually here to see & do Phoenix ... they're here to see & do Arizona (Sedona, Grand Canyon, etc.). Sky Harbor has actually lost some ground to another fast growing city: Las Vegas. McCarran now has more passenger traffic than Sky Harbor thanks to all the people that actually WANT to go to Vegas. Also, some of the Vegas vacation packages include the Grand Canyon, so the Vegas airport has a good amount of tourists who visit some of Arizona's well known attractions. This is why Phoenix needs to do more in order to attract more business and more tourists. Southern CA and Las Vegas pretty much blow us out of the water in this regard.

Permanent international flights won't become a reality unless the Phoenix area becomes more of a competitive global market, and not just a regional or back office business center like we have been for too long!

So very true about Las Vegas! It's funny how Las Vegas siphons off visitors from PHX to go to the Grand Canyon, when Phoenix is actually closer to the Grand Canyon than Las Vegas. Phoenix should be getting in on the helicopters, buses to GC. And because of Las Vegas' growing reputation as a global destination, they have many regular international flights. Direct flights from China, Korea, lots of cities in Europe etc.

Old 12-04-2018, 04:16 PM

7,828 posts, read 4,574,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chahunt View Post
Why does the Las Vegas airport suck?
Personally, it reminds me of the "G" gates in MSP except not nearly as well executed. Lots of gates surrounding a large common waiting area=Cluster****

That and all the gewgaw and bric-a-brac stands clogging up the hallways. The whole place seems cobbled together rather than having a coherent master plan to remodel from. Not the worst airport on the planet, but not particularly noteworthy either.

YMMV
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area