Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 03:56 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Not counting its centralized location and close to downtown PHX (which is a plus), I still think Skyharbor is mediocre or sub-par airport compared to Denver Intl. Airport. When people lived there in the past, it has spoiled them and when they live in a new state for a while, Skyharbor is not even in the same ballpark.
I’ve travelled all over the US and Europe, and sky harbor is far and away the best airport I’ve ever encountered. It’s clean, modern, efficient, and well laid out. And best of all, it’s not located on a desolate prairie an hour from the city. It’s one of the rare things that phx actually got right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2018, 06:46 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,461,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
T2 was always my favorite. It reminds me of when Phoenix was a much better place to live.
Terminal 2 was my favorite as well. It was much less hectic than Terminal 4, which is the terminal for Southwest and American. Most Sky Harbor traffic is in Terminal 4.

Sky Harbor is a well located airport compared to Denver, which is so far from Central Denver, as well as Dallas-Fort Worth International, which isn't really convenient to either the centrally located areas of Dallas or Fort Worth.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:05 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Not counting its centralized location and close to downtown PHX (which is a plus), I still think Skyharbor is mediocre or sub-par airport compared to Denver Intl. Airport. When people lived there in the past, it has spoiled them and when they live in a new state for a while, Skyharbor is not even in the same ballpark.
Sorry, but DIA is too big, overrated, and (worst of all) in a horrible location. It's like the Westgate of airports. What they should have done was modernize and expand Stapleton Int'l, and possibly build a reliever airport out in a distant suburban location like they did with Gateway. One thing that makes Sky Harbor cumbersome is the separate terminals, but thankfully the shuttles and SkyTrain run frequently between T3 & T4, so that reduces some of the hassle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Maybe it’s not as big, but I don’t see what the problem with Sky Harbor is. Plenty of domestic flights a few international flights, plenty of restaurants and alcohol and its hardly ever crowded. I like it better than say Austin or San Antonio. Whenever there is some sort of list out Phoenix is always at the top of it.
Did you consider that perhaps the lack of crowds isn't such a good thing? Personally, I hate being in crowds, but we have to consider the fact that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation, so it should be reflective of this fact, and that includes the major airport. If Sky Harbor isn't crowded very often, it's an indicator that it's not much of a hub when it comes to air travel, and one reason is it's seriously lacking in direct international flights. It could be a much a more substantial hub, and even compete with other top airports like LAX if Phoenix had a larger business presence & possibly more year round tourism.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:17 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sorry, but DIA is too big, overrated, and (worst of all) in a horrible location. It's like the Westgate of airports. What they should have done was modernize and expand Stapleton Int'l, and possibly build a reliever airport out in a distant suburban location like they did with Gateway. One thing that makes Sky Harbor cumbersome is the separate terminals, but thankfully the shuttles and SkyTrain run frequently between T3 & T4, so that reduces some of the hassle.

Did you consider that perhaps the lack of crowds isn't such a good thing? Personally, I hate being in crowds, but we have to consider the fact that Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the nation, so it should be reflective of this fact, and that includes the major airport. If Sky Harbor isn't crowded very often, it's an indicator that it's not much of a hub when it comes to air travel, and one reason is it's seriously lacking in direct international flights. It could be a much a more substantial hub, and even compete with other top airports like LAX if Phoenix had a larger business presence & possibly more year round tourism.
No I’ve considered that it’s a huge spread out airport broken up into segments with a lot of amenities so it never gets crowded compared to say Austin where it’s one big room with limited amenities.

The other stuff you mention is duly noted albeit repetitive.

Old 11-24-2018, 12:35 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
I prefer Sky Harbor over DIA and it's not particularly close

Much better location, broken up in segments that spread traffic a bit.

Much easier to get to through security.

Just a faster process than going through the giant security bubble, then needing to hop a train to your actual terminal - it is possible to get to a separate security area at DIA, but it's a big hike

Old 11-24-2018, 09:53 PM

389 posts, read 596,531 times
I flew out of Terminal 2 today. I won't be sad to see it go. It served its purpose for many years, but it is time for something more modern.

I wouldn't have been opposed to them salvaging the front of the terminal (mural and lobby) but expanding/renovating the concourses. But I look forward to flying out of the modernized T3, as a frequent UA flyer.

I think Phoenix needs to consider remodeling T4 (the A, B, and C concoures as well as ticketing and baggage). They just did new terazzo and paint, but the concourses (not D) are still cramped and worn out. It's weird that the airlines that have the majority of airline traffic (AA and Southwest) will have the older looking terminal. But I guess Southwest is taking over the upcoming D concourse.

Old 11-25-2018, 09:26 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,736,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

We would be the 13th largest CSA in the US if we were a CSA and we have the 13th busiest airport based on total people boarding. We maintain that ranking due to a factor a lot of people here don't like, our tourism, which results in a lot of people starting/ending their trips from PHX. I do believe were gradually seeing business travel continue to grow and tourism maintain it's historical strength which should bode will for maintaining and growing our position for air traffic.

International flights will continue to grow as the valley diversifies further and continues to grow business. We had the 2nd London flight added this year and new service to Germany. I'd like to see Middle East and APAC connections added but only when it makes sense. Starting highly subsidized service that ends as soon as the subsidy ends is pretty depressing. The airlines know if/when a route is justified.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:44 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Another "old timer" here. I was 4 when I flew into PHX to live with my grandmother. It was summer of '62, but I don't remember the exact date, so I don't recall if I came in at T1 or T2 (T2 opened 5/26/62). All I remember was looking out the airplane door at the really tall, long stairway and walking across the tarmac. It was my first flight. I even got a tour of the plane and wings from the captain

Old 11-27-2018, 09:18 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Comparing Sky Harbor to other major hub airports, like Denver, is like comparing apples and oranges. We have to keep in mind that the Phoenix area is relatively new compared to other metro areas around the continental US, people didn't really paid too much attention to Phoenix until recent years, and Sky Harbor's increase of air traffic was relatively slow in the 1960s, 1970s, and the 1980s. It wasn't until recent decades when Sky Harbor saw a tremendous increase in domestic air traffic.

Old 11-27-2018, 09:22 AM

54,498 posts, read 33,869,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
Another "old timer" here. I was 4 when I flew into PHX to live with my grandmother. It was summer of '62, but I don't remember the exact date, so I don't recall if I came in at T1 or T2 (T2 opened 5/26/62). All I remember was looking out the airplane door at the really tall, long stairway and walking across the tarmac. It was my first flight. I even got a tour of the plane and wings from the captain
It was most likely Terminal 1, I was only 5 when T2 opened in 1962 and if I remember correctly, they had jetways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area