Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 05:11 PM

9 posts, read 42,603 times

Advertisements

HELP, HELP, HELP

So I'd like some help on where to move near Tempe. Never been there before, but great job offer bringing us there. I will be moving in the next week or so, but have no short term rental ideas. On the long run when my family follows after school lets out...

I have two younger children, and would like to be near a great school - public or private as long as they can get in. They're both testing about 2 grades above where they should be and I'd like to keep them on that momentum - I'm hoping it'll make our lives easier in the future. Are the public schools good? Are the private way out of the normal person's price range?

Would like an apartment complex with a 3 bedroom under 1350/month. Sounds like another associate might also be moving and is looking for a 2 bedroom under 900 - would like to be in a similar location as us since we know each other and our kids are friends. Jobs will be in Tempe, but I don't like the look of the crime there, I am a very uptight parent! What places are safest?? Plus what areas in those areas are ok? I've been told Gilbert or Scottsdale and found some rentals in that price range, but want a place with a nice pool for the kids and nice apartments. We know downsizing will be mandatory from our house, but love the idea of no more yard work! Tiem off will be just that - at least for a year or so. There's so many options and it seems like each site has 20 new places on it. Talk about overwhelming. Any suggestions? My wife is driving me nuts with all the questions so all imput is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 06:57 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Well, to start brainstorming ideas, you could move to.... Tempe. The south part of the city of Tempe is pretty nice. You want to be south of Guadalupe Rd so you're in the Kyrene elementary school district. The nearby western strip of Chandler and Ahwatukee (part of the city of Phoenix south of South Mountain, west of I-10) is pretty nice too, and is pretty much the same thing as south Tempe. Are you sure you want to rent in an apartment complex? With kids, I would think renting a house would be a better choice?

What part of Tempe is the job located in?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:45 PM

Well it says that it is on the 1100 block of N. Sickles Drive. Sorry, I am not sure what to classify that area as. Our reasoning for an apartment complex had to do a lot with the amenities such as a pool and hot tub for the kids. We've had a pool/hot tub with our house before, but it is so much maintenance, as is a yard. We're also used to a lot more space than an apartment would give us, just medical issues have made it difficult on her to maintain a big house. We're trying to find a way to start over (hopefully healthy) and get back to the basics of enjoying the kids we have while they're still young. My wife has had a hard time working and wanting to be home with them since we can't have more, so I was trying to give her a little of that. Don't know if my logic makes much sense, just trying to make the move easiest on her and the kids. She's just used to a much smaller city so I know this will probably be a shock in itself for her.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,306,923 times
Just mapquested your address, it's in north Tempe (north of the Salt River) in an industrial/junkyard area by McClintock & Curry. You definitely wouldn't want to live right next door to that address-- not the greatest neighborhood. Anywhere in the 85281 zip code is pretty much the ASU college student zone, I wouldn't recommend living anywhere several miles of the campus if you want a quiet, child-friendly atmosphere. And I'm saying this an ASU student. The areas I mentioned earlier I'd still recommend, but I'd also recommend taking a look at Central Scottsdale (between Chaparral and Shea). I guess the next question is, how long of commute to your job are you willing to endure?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:04 AM

I'd like to keep the commute around a half hour or so each way so that I'm not driving all the time. I don't know if this is even bery doable or not. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area